RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Suggestions for Improving Halogen Quad Lights

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Bordin 
#1 ·
I see a lot of opinions or suggestions on making improvements to projection lights with HID or LED, but not a lot of talk about upgrading halogen quad lights. I'm consisting over driving my lights in areas with speed limits above 65mph. As a side note I already have the stock fog lights which I run in conjunction with my low beams currently. Light output is decent on high beams, but obviously I can't run these legally all the time. Any thoughts or more importantly experience in making changes to the quad halogen lights.

#2 ·
I changed my low beam bulbs(H11) to Sylvania ZXE's, got them on sale cheaper than Silverstar Ultras. I replaced the high beams(9005) with LEDs from Auto LED. My fogs light bulbs(9006) with Opt7 LED headlight replacements.
I have plenty of light available with the added LED bulbs at the flick of a switch.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Crash68. As I'm not an expert on lighting and just starting to research this topic I do have a few additional questions. 1) are the led lights plug and play or do they require any additional installation of wiring, ect. 2) never having had LED lights I have seen mention on other forumsof LED lights not melting off snow as halogen lights put out much more heat-have you noticed any more of an issue with your lights versus your halogens.

#4 ·
Both the Opt7 and the ones from AutoLED had the necessary resistors/capacitors needed for plug and play operation.
The ZXE bulbs in my lows are halogens and give off plenty of white light for me. The snow melt issue probably is factor to consider. Another reason I stuck with halogens in the lows is proven reliability and lock of space inside the headlight housing for the LED power adapter and resistor/capacitor adapter. If you go with both high and low LED you'll have four inside each housing. (All of this needs to fit under the dust covers on the back of the housing).
I probably would have bought both the highs and fogs from AutoLED as the Opt7 housing are red. It's about the same money either way, and I had the Opt7s installed several months before buying the highs.

#7 ·
Anytime you consider changing to aftermarket bulbs, make sure you consider the life of the bulb. In the package it will list in hours the life expectancy. I think when I looked at Silverstars they were rated at 150 hours. Stock halogens are somewhere around 850-1000 hours. 150 hours is not a lot and you will be changing bulbs more frequently than you do now.

#9 ·
I too did the AUTO LED low beam and fog light upgrade. Huge improvement. Great people to work with. Will answer any questions you may have. Just email them. Very happy with my purchase

#11 ·
Braden doesn't have a website that I'm aware of, Auto LED is the company name. If you google search the business, the Facebook page will pop up. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give you the email address

#12 ·
This is one of about 10 mods I want to do with my outdoorsman after I get it. I like the look of the projector lamps, like the ones that come with the Rebel. Are they interchangeable? And if I do swap, I assume they be upgraded to perform far better than the stock incandescent s?

#14 ·
IMO, cheaper to do the LED bulbs than a swap for projectors in a truck that doesn't have them. There are a few threads with info about doing a swap, and there's a company in the US, the name escapes me, but they look to have a straight plug and play system, but it doesn't look cheap ($$$), and the exchange would be a deal killer for me, living in Canuckistan

#15 ·
It's great that everyone has good things to say but if your going to take the time to post, why not put up some pics or part numbers while at it?
Lots of people mention Auto LED but no relevant web page or Facebook page came up and I'm not about to try and find a company that isn't marketing themselves. I mean really? Selling via Facebook only?

#16 ·
I thought the exact same thing.

When Flames3D said "Braden doesn't have a website that I'm aware of, Auto LED is the company name.", my first thought was 'it's 2016, if your business doesn't have a website with at least basic information, I'm not doing the legwork to buy anything from you' and quickly forgot about it.

#18 · (Edited)
I am going to try this mod I got from a Facebook Post. May not do all of them, but high beams at first, then the lows. You do need to modify the bulbs a bit to work.

Facebook Post said:
Did another mod on the wife's truck. Change the low beam headlights from H11 to H9, high beam from 9005 to 9011, and the fogs from 9006 to 9012.
Simple, cheap and lots more output!

Text Diagram Line Font Parallel

Product Auto part

Product Auto part Font

#19 ·
My Upgrade:
Fogs- Led
Highs- 9011 (trim one tab)
Lows: Led

I added a relay into the system to allow my fog lights to remain ON while my high beams are on.
My Fog light on/off switch in the cabin is just a useless button now.
Whenever my low beams are on, my fogs are on no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.