RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

I just want brighter lights...please keep this simple as I am ...

67K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  Kazimodo 
#1 ·
somewhat "challenged" on this topic.

i just want to see is there a simple (ie no modification, no wiring, no mcgyver school of engineering) way to get brighter light (bulbs?)

you know it's bad when you have passengers comment that your turn signal flashes brighter than your headlights at night.

so basically, i just want a decent headlight. is this possible? if so, can someone be so kind to post a link to said product/vendor?

this may be the one area that i'm not happy with in regards to the truck as the headlights are dismal and seem 'cheap' for a 2014 $50K vehicle.

#45 ·
#46 ·
Hello!
Finally got my RAm (not ED). As most of you I am not satisfied with amount of light by original lights (2014 RAM 1500 with projector lights).
I have installed HID bulbs with all necessary connectors, ballasts .. The HIDs are 35W and 4300K.
The following pictures give a good comparisom between OEM halogens and this HIDs. The left light is original and the right one is allready new HID.
http://shrani.si/f/37/2p/219QNVJk/luci1.gif
http://shrani.si/f/2l/5s/2doQzlO3/luci3.gif
http://shrani.si/f/2d/W8/2WA6Gulo/luci2.gif
I bought the HIDs at Jeremy's Retroshop Retro Shop Online Store
Miran

#49 ·
No, no need to reaim. They are at exactly same level as originals.
Of course: being sensitive to any load in the back, the driver must take care no to blind the oncoming traffic. HIDs are brighter. I'm sorry that RAM (as I belive most of american cars) doesnt have the possibility to reaim the lights from the driving seat, as european cars have.

LEDs sound better as HIDs, but not every LED. First I have bought a pair of third generation 9006 LEDs (just one LED light source per bulb, 1800 lumens per bulb) but compared to original halogens (I forgot to make some comparison photos) they are not worth a dime! Less light output and no aimed light source. I'll use them in fogs as DRL. The seller of these LEDs says that new fourth generation 9006 bulbs (3000 lumen per bulb!!) is on it's way. But the price will be quite important: at least 150 US $ for two bulbs! The other problem with this fourth generation LEDs will be availabile space in the light housing. These LEDs have a small fan and cooling structure fixed on the back of the bulb. I guess the cover of the bulb compartment must be cut away. No thank you!
Miran

#50 ·
Thanks i just bought some LEDs for fogs and low beam i do have quad headlights. i've had HIDs but i wanted something different. well i installed fogs and they started strobing and one staying on/off so... now i just ordered CANBUS adapters once in and all installed ill post picture up. even though they were on for that quick second super bright and 2X better than stock, so i'm excited for final product.

#52 ·
Caliecoram I am in SLO county, somewhat neighbors then. Just got my truck 2 days ago. I will be looking for a solution as I bought my eco for long vacation drives, thank you for trying solutions ! Maybe LED aftermarket "fog" lights for low beams. I had 7" round driving lights for distance on my last truck which lit up the road for most of a mile but that is old technology. We tried LED bars on a 24 hr race car but they still didn't throw enough high beam lite so we HID'd some HELLA lights. Keep the idea's coming

#56 ·
The signal lights are not factory pointed down towards the roadway which is why the signals "seem" brighter.
My lights seem fine to me.

#61 ·
Aftermarket brighter bulbs come at a different kind of price. They don't last near as long as your stock lights. I was looking at them at Auto Zone and it was common to see a lifespan of 150 HOURS. So you may find yourself replacing them more often than you like.

#65 ·
I have the quad lights on my base model, they are OK. On my prior truck for 11 years I used dual 9" driving lights on a custom mount, they lit up the road for a mile. (retail $ 300 each). This truck is too good looking to mount them on. Considering mounting some modern rectangular LED on the black plastic piece above the bumper. Other choice is to replace the entire headlights with after market Projector with built in HID or LED. In the $250 range for both, I had good luck replacing with aftermarket in my last truck. As much trouble as it appears to just replace bulbs this might be the way. one source so far 2009 2015 RAM Dual Halo DRL LED Projector Chrome Head Lights Slim 6000K HID Kit | eBay

#68 ·
Eugene had a pretty nice setup....I can't remember the details.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive fog light

Reactions: Eugene
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.