RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

I just want brighter lights...please keep this simple as I am ...

67K views 69 replies 43 participants last post by  Kazimodo 
#1 ·
somewhat "challenged" on this topic.

i just want to see is there a simple (ie no modification, no wiring, no mcgyver school of engineering) way to get brighter light (bulbs?)

you know it's bad when you have passengers comment that your turn signal flashes brighter than your headlights at night.

so basically, i just want a decent headlight. is this possible? if so, can someone be so kind to post a link to said product/vendor?

this may be the one area that i'm not happy with in regards to the truck as the headlights are dismal and seem 'cheap' for a 2014 $50K vehicle.

#2 ·
I will be converting to projectors and HIDs due to knowing how much better over incandescent headlights they are. It will cost around $1000 but worth it to me.

I suggest looking into the silver star brand lights. They have some that don't last as long but are brighter than most factory bulbs. Any auto parts shop will be able to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Now you just have to find the pesky tabs through the hole in the inner fender to get the headlights out after you pull the grille and the bolts on the front.

#6 ·
jeffjcalweb do you have the regular Quad halogen headlights? That's what I have and also found the output lacking. I found that you can upgrade the bulbs to HIR bulbs. HIR1's in for the 9005 and H11's for the H9's

Hi Beam stock: 9005 1700 lumens, HIR1 2530 lumens so the High beams gain about 800 lumens

Not positive on the low beams but it's a dramatic improvement.

#7 ·
I think the projector halogens are pretty darn good. I just came out of a Touareg Hybrid with some of the best HID's on the market, adaptive and had the best high beam curve of any HID system....and do not feel these are that much of a difference, other than appearance.

Now the standard non-projectors leave a lot of room for improvement, but I would take it you have the projectors if you stated the blinker is brighter, LOL

#8 ·
I would be interested in brighter lights too. It is funny - when I have my turn signal on - can see if reflecting off signs miles away - but headlights - not so much. I have a Laramie - so I am assuming I have projectors? Not sure based on the posts above, which lightbulbs I should look at?

#9 ·
I couldn't figure out what you all are complaining about until the other day when I passed a ram and noticed the candles in my rear view mirror. the ram had the little round light inside the lens and that was the one that was on. sure glad I don't have that light assembly on my big horn. my high beams light up the world.

#10 ·
@daemon - i have a laramie and i think they are just the regular quad halogens - can you maybe post a link to a product page for what you are referring to?

@tupelo - lol that is EXACTLY what i think every time i put my turn signal on at night - they provide more light than the headlights.

#14 ·
But the projects are aimed at the road! The turn signal lights are aimed everywhere. That's why you see the reflection...they are working and aimed properly. Not blinding you fellow drivers with super bright lights. There has been occasion when I have to put my hand up to block the F'in supoer bright. And this includes tail lights. No good having a light so bright oncoming or traffic behind you can't see. People steer towards what they look at so if your lights are bright and they look that way they also may go that way.

Reactions: husker75
#16 ·
ok, this is direct from Ram Trucks - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans on the 2014 Laramie "information/build" tool:

"Premium Bifunctional Halogen Projector Headlamps"

So that's what I have...and they suck. Terrible. Perhaps the one thing I could complain about on an otherwise flawless truck.

This is a nice overview to help those of us who may not be "lighting engineers" to know what the F is what :)

Headlights: Explained.

here is the Sylvania Silverstar Bulb replacement for a 2013 Ram 1500 with projector H/L (i assume this will be the same for 2014 models, but when selecting 2014 year they only have Ford listed. crappy website).

Lamp Replacement Guide View All Bulbs

At that point, we seem to be screwed because there is no "low beam headlight" replacement listed - and this is the specific problem i want to improve - low beam light is really awful. i am ok with the high beam.

So looking at the "HIR" bulbs as suggested by daemon, i find this:
HIR replacement bulbs

Assuming the part "9012" is universally correct (that was listed on the Sylvania page as well for the "low beam") the HIR replacement bulb is (again ty daemon for providing the info):
Philips 9012 (HIR2) 55W bulbs

i hope to hell i'm following this crap correctly. whatever happened to just a damn headlamp in a box from Sears (where i worked for 10+ years in the auto center, selling those same headlamps).
if i am following this crap correctly, and i purchase a pair of the HIR2 bulbs, then it is a matter of just replacing the OEM bulbs and whatever that entails to actually get to them...right?

holy hell Ram, you couldn't have just put in a freaking decent bulb to begin with? ugh.

#18 ·
Assuming the part "9012" is universally correct (that was listed on the Sylvania page as well for the "low beam") the HIR replacement bulb is (again ty daemon for providing the info):
Philips 9012 (HIR2) 55W bulbs

i hope to hell i'm following this crap correctly. whatever happened to just a damn headlamp in a box from Sears (where i worked for 10+ years in the auto center, selling those same headlamps).
if i am following this crap correctly, and i purchase a pair of the HIR2 bulbs, then it is a matter of just replacing the OEM bulbs and whatever that entails to actually get to them...right?

holy hell Ram, you couldn't have just put in a freaking decent bulb to begin with? ugh.
I have changed my headlights to HID's. When I pulled the factory low beams out I noticed they are HIR2 9012 55w Phillips bulbs. So from what I can guess you'd be wasting money and time putting them in. I went with a HID kit in the lows and put in ultra silverstars in the highs and fog lamps. Happy with the light output now but am debating putting HID's in the fogs as well.

#24 ·
I put a 55W HID kit from "The Retrofit Source" in my projectors low beams.
I got HIR bulbs for the high beams from Headlight Services- http://www.headlightservices.com/files/Download/HIRspecsheet.pdf
The light output is great! It took me a few hours to install, as I am quite particular with wire routing and mounting.
Everything was plug and play with no issues. I did not even have to re aim the lights.
It is nice not having to bolt some lights on the front some where.

#27 ·
I like those Gen2 LED's. Be interesting to see if anyone is using them and how they like them.

#30 ·
Just a Warning....

Just a warning...

The TIPM (fuse box) monitor's current flow to each of the headlights. Some of you putting in higher output bulbs may find out that while driving the headlights will go out and then usually begin to flash.

This is the TIPM limiting current to protect what it senses a current problem created by drawing more current than programed for the stock headlight. It can also trip what is called a HIGH SIDE DRIVER which will shut the power down completely and is only resettable with a scan tool. Because of safety issues the headlight usually just flash on off.
The HSD driver can also trip with a OPEN circuit, again requiring a scan tool to reset. Most vehicle owners find this little fact out when a turn signal or brake light bulb burns only to find out only a scan tool can reset and have it functioning properly with the new bulb

#32 ·
How is the auto light system affected by updating the headlights with HID's lights?

#34 ·
I just ordered a set of the GTR led bulbs today. Will likely be trying them out in the headlights, my hid conversion keeps shutting down on me. Taking the truck on a 5.5 hour trip to VA beach Saturday, doubt I'll have them in time. Like an idiot I threw the stock bulbs out, hopefully won't be doing much night traveling.

#36 ·
I was thinking about looking into getting some PIAA replacement bulbs. I used to run them in my hi and low beams on my last car and they were bright as heck! PIAA hyper white or xtreme white. Just another option for you guys with the standard headlights.

#40 ·
I would love to, however three weeks after ordering them I still don't have them. Sent an email a few hours ago, no email back yet. May have to express my dissatisfaction on their FB page.

#41 ·
Bulbs should be here tomorrow, they were out of stock and waiting on new inventory. Hopefully will be worth the wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.