LED Headlights anyone

LED Headlights anyone

This is a discussion on LED Headlights anyone within the RAM 1500 Diesel Lighting forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Anyone try the LED headlight bulbs? Found these at a good price, but concerned with the heat sinks and reliability. http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-Xtrem...t-led-9012.htm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: LED Headlights anyone

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited 4X4
    Liked
    160 times

LED Headlights anyone

Anyone try the LED headlight bulbs? Found these at a good price, but concerned with the heat sinks and reliability.

http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-Xtrem...t-led-9012.htm

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
    Anyone try the LED headlight bulbs? Found these at a good price, but concerned with the heat sinks and reliability.

9012 LED Headlight Kit | 9012 LED Foglight Upgrade
    Yes, I had Zenon Depot LED bulbs in my fog lights (bright!) & HID bulbs in my projectors. A 100% improvement over the junk stock lights.

Make sure you tell them you have a 2015 so you get the correct resistors & CANBUS wiring. 2014s were more forgiving than 2015s & up.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    I have the opt7 fluxbeam bulbs. They work well but the problem is they shine a lot higher than the stock low beams. So I had to aim them down, and that causes the high beam pattern to be lower. So now my high beams don't throw near as far. But the led low beams are beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captainmal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6519 times
    Often wondered about that aiming issue. Seems to me I have played with LED's and their orientation in flashlights. Darn things seem to have a bit of a directional factor to their light. No clue why as they are just a square thing unless there's an angle component to the construction.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ehart814 View Post
    I have the opt7 fluxbeam bulbs. They work well but the problem is they shine a lot higher than the stock low beams. So I had to aim them down, and that causes the high beam pattern to be lower. So now my high beams don't throw near as far.
    That's partly why I stuck with halogens (Sylvania ZXEs) for the lows and have LEDs for the highs. Opt7 in the fogs also.
    choochooman74 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    That's partly why I stuck with halogens (Sylvania ZXEs) for the lows and have LEDs for the highs. Opt7 in the fogs also.
    I tried leds for my high beams but I couldn't get the dust caps back on with them. I hate those expensive halogen bulbs cuz they are always burning out. Finally fed up with my wife's car because the halogens keep burning out so I bought I high quality hid kit. Hopefully it will last more than 6 months!

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ehart814 View Post
    I tried leds for my high beams but I couldn't get the dust caps back on with them. I hate those expensive halogen bulbs cuz they are always burning out. Finally fed up with my wife's car because the halogens keep burning out so I bought I high quality hid kit. Hopefully it will last more than 6 months!

What leds did you have? Certain kinds are not meant to fit in enclosed headlamp housings. Usually the kind that use fans aren't meant to be used that way. The ones like xenon depot and others that use braided heatsinks can be used in an enclosed housing with the dustcap.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    There are two things different about most LED bulbs:
    1) They are usually longer than halogen bulbs. Most come with instructions on how to cut the dust caps & install rubber grommets that allow the wires to pass thru.
    2) The LEDs are mounted sideways on the stalks & shine out sideways, using the reflections off the inside of the headlight bucket. An incandescent bulb shines primarily from all sides.

If one chooses a good color temperature LED bulb, the light is usually whiter & brighter. Many cheap LED bulbs have "shadows" present in their light beam. This comes from the positioning of the LED on the stalk. Better LEDs will have multiple diodes around the stalk or they will use a reflector to bounce the light back out to the front of the headlight instead of mostly to the side. We have seen drastic improvements in LEDs just in the last 5 yrs. I have all LED lights in my home. I'm sold on the technology as I saw a significant decrease in my electric bill & a big decrease in the amount of heat produced by the bulbs.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    On the same note, I could have bought a lot of electricity for what my Philips hue bulbs and switches cost

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    On the same note, I could have bought a lot of electricity for what my Philips hue bulbs and switches cost

Switches? At home or your truck? Incandescent bulbs don't last very long for me. Yes, the LEDs were expensive, but none of them have failed in several years. I got most of the big ones on sale at Lowe's & the rest I have replaced through attrition. I use them in my soffits with a dusk-to-dawn timer. The draw less bugs too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links