RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Need to replace new headlight bulb

20K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Sorny 
#1 ·
Hey ya'll, it's about that time for me to replace the headlight bulb on my right headlight, but I wanna make sure I get the right bulb. Should I get it fixed through the dealer, or just do it myself? (I know that I have to take the grill off and all that jazz) or can I go to an Advanced Auto Parts and get a bulb from there? Also, I feel like my headlights should be white, but they're yellow. Not sure if I even have the right bulbs. (Laramie Longhorn). Thanks in advance, guys.

#2 ·
I had to replace a headlight bulb in my '14 Laramie Longhorn last summer. It is a pain to get to. In addition to removing the grill to get to two bolts on the front of the headlight housing, you have to go through a flap in the front wheel well liners to get to a bolt in the back. Once you get those three bolts out, you pull out the entire headlight housing to get to the bulb from the back side. I took the burned out bulb to my local Advance Auto parts and bought a pair of replacements (don't remember the make/model I bought, but I have the package in the garage for future reference). I did replace both, my thinking being if one went, the other might not be far behind it and so both headlights would be the same (no difference in color/temperature/light output between the two).

On the plus side, I broke two snap fasteners holding the grill in and had to order some new ones on line. Be careful while wiggling and pulling on the grill!

Dave

#3 ·
No , on the grill removal,,,, some bum hit my headlight 2 years ago , so I removed the big watermelon size headlight
to replace the burnt light bulb , never took off the grill .
here is some material on the subject .

-------------------------------------------
replacement step by step video :

#4 ·
Your '14 uses a 9012 for the low beams and 9005 for the highs for your projector headlights. Just a side note, 2016 and newer trucks with projectors use 9005 in both High and Lows.
I've used Sylvania Silver Star bulbs for years, and have been happy with them. I currently have the Sylvania ZXE's(I have the Quad headlights) since I picked them up on sale cheaper than the Ultras. Another good halogen replacement is the Phillips Crystal Vision bulbs.

#7 ·
Howie , if you look at the video where the guy removes the grill , you will see there are no additional
bolts than in the first video , so the grill removal is not necessary , as for the big item , looking at pictures of the back
of them , they both have the same alignment pin , and same square shape part at the top ,that the white sliding strip
holds to , (the white strip accessed by the hole in the fender ) . I would attack that the same way .
different headlight means different harness in the back but looks to all be secured in place the same way .
video where guy removes the grill , does not show additional bolts , other the 2 in previous video :
https://www.diodedynamics.com/low-b...-2015-dodge-ram-1500-2500-3500-projector.html

Attachments

#8 ·
I've had to replace the headlights on both sides recently and as Kazimodo highlights above there is NO NEED to remove the grill. I have removed & replaced each side in less than 30 minutes - it's really very easy. Use the 1AAuto video as your guide.

The bottom bolt does NOT need to come out completely, in other words you don't need to remove it before taking out the housing. It will stay in place as you pop out the assembly and then you just put it back in your existing housing or into a new housing if you're going that route. I used painters tape around the head of the lower bolt to hold it in the 10m socket (a 6 point socket is much better in this case than a 12 point.) I used a 12 inch and 4 inch extension on my 3/8" ratchet to comfortably get to the lower bolt. For the upper bolt the easiest access is with a ratcheting box end wrench, preferably with a swivel head on it. I have a set of those from NAPA that have been very useful.

Bob

#10 ·
I just had to replace my driver’s side bulb. (I have 2015 Laramie with projectors.) I removed the grill ( I am not sure how this can be avoided based on location of one bold to get headlights out.)
I replaced with Cft led low beams. The seem pretty good, definitely brighter than stock. I hope they hold out. All in all, not a bad job to do yourself.

#12 ·
No need to remove grille. I've done lights on my truck, it's easy.
Just make sure you get the right bulbs. Projectors use different bulbs than quads do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.