RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

LED Light Bars

37K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  EZmac91 
#1 ·
I want to install a curved one. I have seen a pretty wide price range, Is there a brand that you guys recommend Or one I should avoid?

#9 ·
Figured I should chime in. I installed a 42" straight light bar on my 14 ED Ram back in January 15. To say the least, pre fab light mount options are lacking for the new Gen Rams. I was worried about the wind noise from a roof rack installation, so I decided to take it to a custom shop and have them do the install. I think it turned out great, but to each their own.

I also have the Bilstein 5100 Leveling Kit and Go Rhino step up bars.

As for the light bar, its a craigslist grab, paid $400 for it, 3W X100 Cree LEDs. Very slight blue, almost white. I have about 150 hours on it and have had nothing but brightness out of it.

Here's the result. Hope this helps!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

#11 ·
Figured I should chime in. I installed a 42" straight light bar on my 14 ED Ram back in January 15. To say the least, pre fab light mount options are lacking for the new Gen Rams. I was worried about the wind noise from a roof rack installation, so I decided to take it to a custom shop and have them do the install. I think it turned out great, but to each their own.

I also have the Bilstein 5100 Leveling Kit and Go Rhino step up bars.

As for the light bar, its a craigslist grab, paid $400 for it, 3W X100 Cree LEDs. Very slight blue, almost white. I have about 150 hours on it and have had nothing but brightness out of it.

Here's the result. Hope this helps!

View attachment 8057

Thank you!

#15 ·
I like Rigids and almost got them for my weekend wheeler (2001 Land Rover discovery) but once I found out I could buy literally 20 generic light bars for the price of one rigid I decided I'd go the cheaper route and just replace them if/when they go out. They're very, very illegal to run on the street here so for how rarely they'd be used it wasn't worth it.

#17 ·
You would not think a light bar, mounted on the front of the truck above the bumper, would generate a noise you could hear inside.

I just figured it was mounted on the roof above the windshield. That's where I see them and where it might be prone to make an audible wind noise.

Bet you sure can be seen going down the road at night with that on.

Reactions: GrahamC
#20 ·
Cheap may be the way you want to go, but I've had/have Rigid lights and compared to others. I tested a new truck the dealer had an "off road" package on with a 50" light bar and some "dually" style cubes on back rack. Well my buddy's 30" Rigid blew the no name 50" away and my duallys laughed at the no names. I have the Rigid DOT approved fog lights and they were all I needed in my '12 3500 but the single bulb headlights are like a couple candles anyway. I'm gonna do the rigid grill with light bar. Mounting options for any other lights is pretty scarce on my '16 limited. Shame cuz my '08 1500 had decent headlights awesome fog lights and lots of mounting options for "extras"

#23 ·
Scoutsniper the bull bar was easy to mount and the light bar came with the wiring, relay and switch. It's a simple procedure to hook it up. Hook the relay on the positive side of battery and I ran the ground wire to a bolt on the fender. Since I couldn't find a good spot to run the switch wire through the firewall without drilling or cutting a rubber boot on the firewall I ran the wire through the inside of the fender and door up under the dash and mounted my switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Looks like he went straight into the bumper.

I am not that brave...yet. I am going to pick up one of the universal license plate mounts. Since our bumpers are metal, you can really snug it down. Plus it avoids messing up the park sensors in the front.

#29 ·
Auxbeam, the Phillips 5w projector LEDS...

The downside is on brow lights is it will throwork light on the hood and dash. As you see it don't have one there it effects my cameras too much.

#30 ·
Woah a bit of hate going on for light bars in the beginning of this thread! I've got a 52" curved and I love it! It's insanely bright, and I think it looks pretty cool too. I'm about function, so I was skeptical at first about putting one on since I already had HID's in my highs, lows, and fogs. What a difference the light bar made though, totally worth it!

I even purchased a 42" for my new truck that is on order!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#34 ·
Woah a bit of hate going on for light bars in the beginning of this thread! I've got a 52" curved and I love it! It's insanely bright, and I think it looks pretty cool too. I'm about function, so I was skeptical at first about putting one on since I already had HID's in my highs, lows, and fogs. What a difference the light bar made though, totally worth it!

I even purchased a 42" for my new truck that is on order!

View attachment 14767
Nice. I kind a like the idea of putting it below the bumper. What bracket did you use?

#32 ·
It's really good actually. It reaches out about 15 feet shorter than the HID's in the projector lows, but it makes everything so much brighter. The ditches are completely illuminated as well which is nice. I don't know how good this would work on a stock truck, but being lifted 5" it helps.

#33 ·
I have no intention of putting any holes in the bumper, top of roof, etc. There is no good place to mount any size of light bar on these trucks, IMO. I might have to look at a few small LED squares to mount inside the grill, but that'll be before my trip to Alberta in July

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.