RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Enable - SUCCESS!!

196K views 193 replies 78 participants last post by  Crash68 
#1 ·
Thought I saw the thread here before but couldn't find it.

A friend of a friend told me to ask the service writer to have "a sales code flashed into the body control module" to have the DRL enabled on my 15 1500 Laramie ED.

The first two dealers that I talked to said "we can't do that". I politely thanked them and promptly crossed them off of my Christmas card list. The third said "I don't know - let me check with my technician". She came back a couple of minutes later and said "bring it in". YES!! A service writer that thinks and cares. Unfortunately an all too rare breed.

When I arrived, she asked me to speak to the tech about this. WOW! Pinch me. I told him that I found these three sales codes in a forum and that I would like to try to enable my DRL's. The three codes are LMK, LM1 and LM5. He told me that he had never done this before, but that he would give it a try. Such good fortune to have encountered a THINKER. I asked if I could look over his shoulder. He said "sure". Pinch me again.

We went into the shop and he connected a WIFI adapter to the OBDII port. We went to his laptop and then went to the "dealerconnect" (or something like that) website. He went into the BCM and then to a screen called "add sales code" or (something like that) and entered my VIN. The left side of the screen populated with a list of possible sales codes for my VIN. About two dozen sales codes altogether.

This seems to be the DRL related sales code breakdown:

LMK is for the quad headlight style, That will enable the high beam lamp (at reduced brightness) to be the DRL.
LM5 is for projector style with LED park lights. The LED park lights will be the DRL.
LM1 is for another style that will use the low beam lamps (at reduced brightness) for DRL.

I wanted LM5. He clicked on it and that code moved to the right side of the screen and a "download progress" bar appeared. Once the download hit 100%, a "flashing" progress bar appeared. Once the flash completed, turned off the ignition and then started the engine. Put the trans in "R" or "D" and I NOW HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!

He then went to another screen that showed ALL of the modules on the truck. That screen showed that the engine ECM needed a software update. As before, the download and flash occurred. Sorry I didn't have the presence of mind to take photos of the various screens.

Needless to say, this service department has a customer for life. Too bad I had to call three before I found one who cared enough to listen to me and make an effort to help. I hope this information will help someone.

See less See more
#50 ·
have you looked at it while running in gear... as earlier mentioned....?

#52 · (Edited)
I just subscribed to the forums, because of this thread,

I was able to have my turn lamps put on as DRL's on my 2015 Ram Ignition Sport. So it works fine, took literally about 10 minutes to accomplish.

I went in with the knowledge of this post and stated that I wanted the LM5 sales code added, the shop foreman stated that he would have to have the service department manager add the sales code which would force a new configuration build for my truck, once done it is simply a download and it will work or it wont. Needless to say it worked and looks awesome.

It was funny, they got it working, yelled at me through the glass to show me as they were pulling the truck out of the stall, then parked it and there were three technicians checking it out. They were attempting to show me the lights again, the shop foreman in the truck, frustrated that it was not working, they are all looking at each other confused, I too was like, OK, did they reset or something already? No, it was that he had it in park, I mentioned it, he made an "I'm an idiot face", laughed, put it in drive and PRESTO, DRL's.

Anyway, I wanted to thank all you guys for figuring it out and making my life a little "brighter". :cool:

Edit: BTW, this was Monroeville Dodge in Monroeville, PA - East of Pittsburgh.

#56 ·
Yes, Mine are on when I have it in anything other than park. Lights on Auto or Off the DRL's work. According to the dealership the only way that they will not be on is if you have it in park, or you have the emergency brake on. I have not tried the emergency brake yet, assuming it works, but to answer your question, yes in gear lights off or auto.

#57 ·
My only issue with DRLs is blinding toll booth attendants/gate attendants with them. But, I guess by now, they are use to it. On my Caliber, I use to pull up a little on the e-brake to turn them off when approaching a toll booth attendant.

#64 ·
Went to Tacoma Dodge to have the DRL's turned on. Provided the PDF file on how to do it and circled the code for my Quad Headlights.

They stated: "Attached note is for 2013 2500, 3500, and 5500 and does not apply. No sales code for DRL. Checked operation and controller lights up LEDS in headlamp bucket for DRL operatoin. Headlamps not equipped with LEDS.

No success!:( I was rather bummed but I will try somewhere else.

Reactions: EcoD
#66 ·
I tried it in drive with parking brake off.:( They did not enable them. I have now ordered aftermarket HID headlights to replace my Quad lights (due to stock being too dim for my wife and I). Once installed will they be able to active the "DRL mode" still? I don't see why not.... It is just programming.

#72 ·
I've researched a little and haven't seen the pdf you speak of.

I told my service writer today to contact his area (district) manager to have the DRL or LM5 code enabled on my VIN. We'll see if that works or if it's even a thing.

#73 ·
LM5 worked on my 2015, it was not in their documentation for the truck. I had the pdf but now can not find it, if I come across it I will post.

#87 ·
I read on another Ram forum the Service Manager needs to contact their district manager, if that's even a thing, and have them add the LM5 or the DRL option to your VIN in the 'system'. Then it'll show up for the Tech to activate. I mentioned it to my service writer and he's supposed to look into it, so maybe it is a thing.

#82 · (Edited)
not seeing a pdf file? Found it

•Index
•Main Menu
IN
+
OUT
-
ALL
•Chassis Cab Home
2013 Daytime Running Lamp Enable 03/31/2014
DRL (Daytime Running Lamp) ENABLE
Ram 2500 3500, 4500 and 5500 trucks not equipped with daytime running lamps (sales code LMK, LM1
or LM5) can have the feature enabled by the dealer. This service call will not be covered under warranty.
Dealer charges may apply.
This is done by adding DRL as a dealer installed option and then reconfiguring the vehicle. There are
several sales codes available for DRL depending upon head lamp type and market. The appropriate sales code should be added to the vehicle configuration as follows:
The dealer should add the DRL option to the vehicle using the VEHICLE OPTION UPDATES page in
DEALERCONNECT. A link to the page can be found in the WARRANTY ADMINISTRATION pane under the
SERVICE tab. Once the appropriate sales code has been added, the vehicle should be reconfigured using
the RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION routine in WiTech. This routine can be found under the
DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES tab. After the vehicle has been reconfigured, a hard reset of the BCM should
be performed and all fault codes that may have been set during the process should be cleared.
DRL is not a selectable feature in the EVIC/Radio personalization menu but can be changed with WiTech
in the CUSTOMER PROGRAMABLE FEATURE menu. DRL must be turned on the CUSTOMER
PROGRAMABLE FEATURE menu in order to make DRL operate.
Please note that DRL’s will only illuminate when the engine is running, the vehicle is in gear and the park
brake is not set. Note this is for 2013 HD trucks. It should be the same for our trucks though

The issue we are/were having is when they log into the dealer connect entered the Vin. we can not find a LM5 code anywhere. According to the information in the Dealer Tech area about DRL it says a DRL Module must be present before they can be turned on. My truck has sales code "LMG Auto Headlamps" and we can not find a DRL Module. Can someone that has had this done on a Laramie with the the auto headlamps in the US give me their dealers name and phone number so I could call them. Thanks

Reactions: Amnstjohn54
#83 ·
I was at the dealer trying to get the DRLs activated armed with the info from this thread. The service manager let me watch over her shoulder. When it came time to enter the sales code LM5 was not on the list. She did see a code that was listed something like "enable (perimeter ?) led lights" she clicked on that. Out in the service bay the tech let me see what he was doing and he actually found the lines for left and right led DRL. They had "no" beside them. He could not get them to enable. I think it goes back to the service manager not actually inputting the LM5 code but like I said it wasn't on the list. I have a '16 1500.

Olli

#85 ·
Wow, that's a great story, like a massage with happy endings...

With great experiences like yours although extremely rare, you should ask the dealer if you can name them in this forum.
Dealers should be recognized when they do the right thing. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.