RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Enable - SUCCESS!!

196K views 193 replies 78 participants last post by  Crash68 
#1 ·
Thought I saw the thread here before but couldn't find it.

A friend of a friend told me to ask the service writer to have "a sales code flashed into the body control module" to have the DRL enabled on my 15 1500 Laramie ED.

The first two dealers that I talked to said "we can't do that". I politely thanked them and promptly crossed them off of my Christmas card list. The third said "I don't know - let me check with my technician". She came back a couple of minutes later and said "bring it in". YES!! A service writer that thinks and cares. Unfortunately an all too rare breed.

When I arrived, she asked me to speak to the tech about this. WOW! Pinch me. I told him that I found these three sales codes in a forum and that I would like to try to enable my DRL's. The three codes are LMK, LM1 and LM5. He told me that he had never done this before, but that he would give it a try. Such good fortune to have encountered a THINKER. I asked if I could look over his shoulder. He said "sure". Pinch me again.

We went into the shop and he connected a WIFI adapter to the OBDII port. We went to his laptop and then went to the "dealerconnect" (or something like that) website. He went into the BCM and then to a screen called "add sales code" or (something like that) and entered my VIN. The left side of the screen populated with a list of possible sales codes for my VIN. About two dozen sales codes altogether.

This seems to be the DRL related sales code breakdown:

LMK is for the quad headlight style, That will enable the high beam lamp (at reduced brightness) to be the DRL.
LM5 is for projector style with LED park lights. The LED park lights will be the DRL.
LM1 is for another style that will use the low beam lamps (at reduced brightness) for DRL.

I wanted LM5. He clicked on it and that code moved to the right side of the screen and a "download progress" bar appeared. Once the download hit 100%, a "flashing" progress bar appeared. Once the flash completed, turned off the ignition and then started the engine. Put the trans in "R" or "D" and I NOW HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!

He then went to another screen that showed ALL of the modules on the truck. That screen showed that the engine ECM needed a software update. As before, the download and flash occurred. Sorry I didn't have the presence of mind to take photos of the various screens.

Needless to say, this service department has a customer for life. Too bad I had to call three before I found one who cared enough to listen to me and make an effort to help. I hope this information will help someone.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You can turn your park lights on and then turn the fogs on and still have the DRLs on, fyi.

#6 ·
I guess my years as a GM owner spoiled me. Nothing to turn on or off. Put it gear and the DRL's are there. Some folks feel otherwise, but I like them. Most of my Harleys had them, my new Accord has them. When I got out of the GMC into the Ram, I felt naked without them. Life is good again now :) Happy to have found a dealer that actually cares about my personal preference.

#4 ·
What were the names of your good/bad dealers? Good ones deserve more business! Plus I'm interested.

#5 ·
A thought provoking question for sure. I can only speak for my experience with these dealers after trading my 14 GMC for my very first Ram in Jan of 15. As much as I'm tempted to, I'm not sure that it's proper to use this forum to throw the ones that I had a bad experience with under the bus - although I will gladly do so in a face to face conversation :)

I started as a technician since 1976. A few years as a service manager and currently a trainer of technicians, I believe I have a better than average feel for what is and isn't right in a service department.

I'm at "three strikes your out" with the service department of XXX XXXXXXX CDJR in XXXXX XXXX, GA. Great sales staff there, but the service folks that I've talked were flat out dishonest with me during two visits there. The third was the DRL question - only lack of knowledge, concern and/or skills in this case. I WILL NOT visit this business again. Two strikes now with XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX CDJR in XXXXXX, GA. Nice shiny building. Same shortcomings as the first one.

Cronic CDJR service department in Griffin, GA now has a loyal customer. I will gladly drive a little extra distance to deal with a knowledgeable professional.

#11 ·
Yes, got mine on.

Was not easy to find the right dealership.

But others had said they were able to find the right place if you keep asking.

I believe that is all it takes is to turn on the code into the sales invoice?

The above 3 letter codes seem correct.

Once entered tech can turn on option for the DRL.

Heard lots of excuses of why they can't turn them on, keep looking around.

#8 ·
I don't have a choice of dealers. The one I use could not figure out the DRLs until I gave them this document which has been posted before: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf. It should work for 1500s as well. Note that you may need someone to help you check that they are working because they come on only when the engine is running, the vehicle is in gear and the parking brake is not set.

#12 ·
Excellent doc in the link. Thank you. Even though the 1500 isn't listed in it, it's obviously identical to the HD's in this respect. Now that you mention it, I DID come across this in my research. Discarded it because it didn't list the 1500. Probably could have gotten mine enabled sooner had I tried your approach.

#10 ·
Sounds just like my situation with calibrating my Jeep's Speedometer. Guess what? That is the dealer I bought the EcoD from.

#13 ·
Success!!!, we'll sort of. I went to dealer today for a few things. I asked the service writer about turning in DRLs. I asked her to speak to tech, get a price and call me while I waited for the other work. Well, 2hrs later I get call...trucks done. Ok, I wall over get ticket, get truck. I see on ticket DRLs turned on $0. Cool. Only issue is it appear to be LM1, the low pwr low beams (projectors). Oh well, really wanted LM5 LED ambers. But it was free. Maybe I'll bug them next time I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#78 ·
Could you post a pic of your DRL please. I was wondering if the LED's were the DRL or the Headlights were. Dealer was not sure since in my State they are not required. Would like to see what the LED's look like before I have this done. Thanks

#20 ·
Those look great!

I've got to get this done :)

#23 ·
Went by the dealer to have a little cosmetic work done on the RAM Box lid and asked to have my DLR turned on with code LM5 and it looks great, little snafu though, they did not think it worked and did a few other things trying to make it work, and now when I put my lights in "AUTO" mode the headlights stay on making it hard to see the dash. I will let them know on Monday, I am sure they will go back through it and restore the other settings.

#25 ·
UPDATE!
Today everything is working properly!!! [emoji3].

When I left the dealer they were under the impression that the lights were not working they told me they tried several codes, perhaps one or more codes they plugged in were still active until the computer was able to completely shut down. I guess they did not realize that the daylight safety lights do not come on unless the vehicle is in gear AND the parking brake is off.

Anyway I am pumped that I do not have to go back to the dealer and that I have the LED safety lights, that said they were really trying to give me what I want, guess I might have found one of the good ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I'm heading to the dealer today to order my new 1500 (very psyched!) -- does this mean I should have the dealer add the LM5 code to his sales write-up, or is this a code I should keep in my pocket until I visit the service bay? (I'm in the Northeast US.)

Also--can someone confirm: I think LM5 activates the LED lights below the projector headlight, but do they run amber or white? And at less-than-full intensity?

Thanks everybody. Glad I found you all.

-Pete

#31 ·
I ordered a 2016 RAM 1500 about a week ago. I sent an email using the Contact Us link at the bottom of Ram Trucks - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans asking about DRL. Below is their reply:

Congratulations on the purchase of your 2016 Ram 1500!

We regret to advise that according to our resources, Daytime Running Headlamps are not an available factory option the 2016 Ram 1500 model lineup. The information within our resources pertains to features an options available from factory only; therefore, our best suggestion would be for you to discuss the possibility of enabling your 2016 Ram 1500 with Daytime Running Headlamps with your Ram dealership. They would be the best resource for any inquiry of this nature.

#33 ·
The DRL is a simple set up function for US RAMs as described at the start of the thread. My 2014 5.7 Big Horn was a Canadian truck, so DRLs were active but when I traded for a 2015 ED Laramie (US), I told the dealer activating the DRLs was a condition of the sale. No issues for this dealer but they are 3 miles from the Canadian border, so I'm sure they are selling to and activating for Canadian customers since DRLs have been the law in Canada for a couple decades. Really an easy task as noted. All dealers SHOULD have a least one tech that knows how to do this
but there are unfortunately a lot that are too busy to care.

#36 ·
Got mine done today. Lm5 amber led enabled. Thank you to the op! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
��

Reactions: watersupply189
#38 ·
I also did LED license plate lights, and cargo LED lights.. Much better.... I can't understand why Ram didn't do it from the beginning.

#39 ·
Went to the dealer today to have an oil change and asked that the DRL option be turned on (LM5). Gave them the document found earlier in this thread. Service rep said he would have them look into it. Well they finish with the truck and he gives be the document back with another piece of paper stapled to it which says "Daytime running lamps are not an available option for 2013, 2014 US built trucks. The option to order LMK, LMI or LM5 Dedicated DRL are available for fleet applications only" I do have a 2014. His he feeding me a bunch of BS or is this correct?

#40 ·
Since they have been turned on with our vehicles, I'd say BS, tell him you know it works, turn them on or you will get service at the dealership that turns them on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: choochooman74
#42 ·
Well I went to another dealer today and even gave them the actual instructions and screen shots I got off another forum. Service rep said they have never done it but would try. Anyway after and hour the service rep comes out and says they followed the instructions but the lights still won't come on. I say thanks and leave. Right after I pull out of the lot I can see the reflection of my parking lights on the car in front of me. Evidently the dealer techs did not know that the truck has to be in gear and the parking break off for the DRL to come on. I'm happy :)

#45 ·
I'm visiting family in western NY State, so went to Fredonia Chrysler Dodge Ram, Fredonia, NY to get the R36 recall done before my drive back to AZ. I mentioned I wanted to get my DRL's turned on, and he knew what I was talking about and said they would give it a shot. He said they just needed the appropriate three letter code, and it would be $45 whether they worked or not. I supplied them with this pdf seen in earlier posts https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf . After the warranty work was completed he said they were able to turn the DRL's on, and also saw there was a software update available and did I have time to get that done also. Anyway great service from this dealership!

#49 ·
No DRL

2013 Ram 1500

Took to dealer to activate town mirrors signal and puddle lamp. They did it. Also gave them the OEM brake controller to install and activate. Completed.

Then I asked them to turn on DRL. I gave them PDF file I printed. No go they said. It didn't work. What gives?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.