RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Enable - SUCCESS!!

196K views 193 replies 78 participants last post by  Crash68 
#1 ·
Thought I saw the thread here before but couldn't find it.

A friend of a friend told me to ask the service writer to have "a sales code flashed into the body control module" to have the DRL enabled on my 15 1500 Laramie ED.

The first two dealers that I talked to said "we can't do that". I politely thanked them and promptly crossed them off of my Christmas card list. The third said "I don't know - let me check with my technician". She came back a couple of minutes later and said "bring it in". YES!! A service writer that thinks and cares. Unfortunately an all too rare breed.

When I arrived, she asked me to speak to the tech about this. WOW! Pinch me. I told him that I found these three sales codes in a forum and that I would like to try to enable my DRL's. The three codes are LMK, LM1 and LM5. He told me that he had never done this before, but that he would give it a try. Such good fortune to have encountered a THINKER. I asked if I could look over his shoulder. He said "sure". Pinch me again.

We went into the shop and he connected a WIFI adapter to the OBDII port. We went to his laptop and then went to the "dealerconnect" (or something like that) website. He went into the BCM and then to a screen called "add sales code" or (something like that) and entered my VIN. The left side of the screen populated with a list of possible sales codes for my VIN. About two dozen sales codes altogether.

This seems to be the DRL related sales code breakdown:

LMK is for the quad headlight style, That will enable the high beam lamp (at reduced brightness) to be the DRL.
LM5 is for projector style with LED park lights. The LED park lights will be the DRL.
LM1 is for another style that will use the low beam lamps (at reduced brightness) for DRL.

I wanted LM5. He clicked on it and that code moved to the right side of the screen and a "download progress" bar appeared. Once the download hit 100%, a "flashing" progress bar appeared. Once the flash completed, turned off the ignition and then started the engine. Put the trans in "R" or "D" and I NOW HAVE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS!!

He then went to another screen that showed ALL of the modules on the truck. That screen showed that the engine ECM needed a software update. As before, the download and flash occurred. Sorry I didn't have the presence of mind to take photos of the various screens.

Needless to say, this service department has a customer for life. Too bad I had to call three before I found one who cared enough to listen to me and make an effort to help. I hope this information will help someone.

See less See more
#92 ·
I have shown them the pics ofthe trucks like mine with them turned on. But we can not find the LM5sales code anywhere. I was sittin in the passenger seat and the tech even handed me the laptop to see if I could find it.

Will see if they can call the Ram tech center to see if they can add the sales code o r the regional rep has to.

#96 ·
Thank you gybob on your post. I've been doing some homework on activating my DRL's for my RAM. I have a few dealerships in my area to try and activate my DRL's. Unfortunately, one already told me that they couldn't on my truck because "it's only available for Canadian trucks." I told the shop foreman that I've read that even "US" trucks can add the LM5 sales code, but he told me he was unable to add the sales code for that reason. The closest dealership has service hours that don't work with my work schedule. So I'm still going to try the others when time permits. Thanks for the information.

#97 ·
A lot of us are interested in this also! Some people are saying the regional service manager has to add the LM5 option to your VIN and then the local dealership can activate it through the normal process. I have yet to get a definitive answer on the 2016s. Let us know if you find out something.

#98 · (Edited)
OK a short update, I have been all over John to find out how to turn on the DTRL. Got a call from him last Friday telling me his District Rep would like to have the truck Thursday to see why the lights can't be turned on. If need be he will add whatever it needs to get them turned on for me and @ NC too! So I'm dropping off the truck in the morning getting a loaner and they will hopefully work some magic.

As a side not they will also be replacing the outside temp sensor! Sunday and Monday it went bats$$t crazy and was reading 122* outside temps!!! AC and butt coolers were on full force but the real temp was only 58*!!! LOL got love new technology....not!

UPDATE:
And he said......LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!......and THERE WAS LIGHT......and......IT WAS GOOD!!!!

OK so as you can tell we have DTRL's now. John doesn't know what the Service Engineer did to get them on but he said it took him 1.5 hours to figure it out and two phone calls to Auburn Hills!!! :confused: He thinks that since my truck was shipped to a State that does not require them that was the issue. When I pick it up in the morning I'll talk to the mechanic and see if he knows anything else.

#99 · (Edited)
This confused me when I bought my 15 as I thought DRL was a US Federal requirement, was surprised the Ram did not have. I do want it active though for safety.

I have a valid question to this. If you enable the DRL can you still manually override it to turn off?
I.E. nighttime not wanting any lights on, if you switch from headlights on/auto to "off" do the DRL stay off too or does the headlight function turn off but DRL are forced to stay on?
I ask because family's 1997 Chevy Tahoe had DRL always on no matter what. It was frustrating for the people in front of us on a nighttime Christmas tree lane thing, and we found out the only way to override it was to set the parking brake. It didn't work so well because in this Christmas tree lane thing you have to idle through it; so we had to pull forward, set brake, wait, then pull forward and set brake again. Only years later did we figure out you could "fool" it by only setting parking brake to activate switch but brakes were not active.

Not a big deal but that is one such scenario where you may want to have all lights out while in gear and I hope the "OFF" function on the headlight switch would also force DRL off.
Can anyone verify?

Reactions: 1SIKRYD
#104 · (Edited)
Good question. Just like GM, the DRL's are on until the headlights come on. No way to turn them off once you're out of Park (maybe Neutral too). One click on the Park Brake pedal will do it though. No DRL's at that point - just have to deal with the annoying "Park Brake" warning. If I'm actually pulling through the park brake at that point, I can't feel it. Surely no problem for a Christmas light viewing. Give it a try.

#101 ·
Try another Dealer. And keep trying.

And yes they have to enter the Sales Codes then they are able to turn them on.

My Original Dealer refused to turn them on. Said that was their policy.

Just kept asking around.

Freezes drivers from pulling out in front of you, before you see them.

Unless they are in a hurry!

#103 ·
Dealer called me today to set up an appointment, said they have it set up on their end to activate the LM5 DRL code for me. We'll see how it goes on Wednesday when I take the truck in.

Reactions: 1SIKRYD
#106 ·
Thanks for the heads up, and welcome to the Forum. They couldn't find where to activate the LM5 code during my first trip to the dealer. After talking to the regional service rep they think they have it figured out. We'll see soon enough.

Reactions: Remmos
#108 ·
Sorry, dealer said the sales code was missing from my build and that it had to be added by the boys and girls at Ram. That was why it took the Service Engineer 1.5 hours and two phone calls to get them on. Please note that my dealer did not charge me for any of their time nor the SE's time. This is not the norm and you can be charged for the time it takes to have them activated.

There is no Federal code requiring DTRL only some State codes require them. Your selling dealer should be able to bring up you trucks information to see if the code is there or not. This is NOT done thru the truck but at the service managers computer using your VIN and the STAR login.

#109 ·
I got mine enabled. The person who did it let me look at the 3 options (Low beam 60%,high beam 60%, and turn signal lights). I went with high beam 60%.

Reactions: EcoD
#111 ·
thank you Bounty Hunter, I have been wondering around this forum for almost a year, this forum helped me make my decision to buy my ED
the LM5 code was not in my system to activate, they had to download it to the system. The first Dealer I went to had the same reply as your dealer.

#118 ·
Bounty, do u know if ur truck is classified as a "fleet build" or are u in Canada? I tried to get mine enabled at delivery but it was not an option.

#123 ·
Either dealer hop or tell your service writer it requires their regional service rep enable the DRL option on your VIN in order for the dealer to have the option to activate the DRL's. As if right now the dealer can't see the DRL option in WiTech.

#124 ·
So much confusion on this topic, and it shouldn't be this way. DRL should be an easy toggle for the owner, but it isn't...

A had a 2014 Bighorn and my dealer was able to easily enable LM1 DRL via the truck configuration and upload to the truck.

Now I have a 2015 Laramie 5.7l... DRL not so easy. My brother is a RAM service manager so he has the drive and tools available, plus one of the best techs I've ever known. We could not get the DRL working last January with all the info available on this sight and the whole interweb. Nowhere was an option for installing or enabling LM5.

Today he sends me a test saying they can now do it. When asked how, he sent this...

"Went into dealer connect, service tab, add new options link, scrolled to lm1-lm5 on add options and bingo. It even says for US market. Next went to service manual, entered vin and hit search. Truck loaded up and searched DRL. Clicked on operation. Scrolled to operation. Gave description of DRL and instructed not customer configured, requires witech reconfiguration"

Hope this helps others get it done. I wonder if RAM figured out they need to make it easier, or they got tired of fielding all the calls for support or help.

Disclaimer: my truck hasn't actually been successfully done yet. Will report my results, maybe in a few weeks.

#126 ·
I own a 2015 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman. It has the high output halogen headlights that come with the outdoorsman package, but does not have the projector style headlights. I went to the dealer to have the DRL enable procedure done on the truck to turn on the daytime running lamps and told them I wanted LM5 to turn on the amber lights as the DRLs. I gave them the instructions on how to do it. When I picked up the truck, they charged me $80 and said they could only do LM1 on the truck because it didn't have projector style headlights. They said when they tried LM5 it gave a bunch of error codes so they had to do LM1. Do they know what they are talking about here? Is it possible to have LM5 done on this truck if it does not have projector style headlights? I see in the instructions it says LM5 is for head lamp style High Line - Projector. I have called them back and told them about what I read here that the regional service rep needs to turn on the option for the VIN and they said they would look into it. I haven't heard back. I don't want to push it if I'm wrong, but if they are wrong and it can be done to have the amber lights on, I want them to make it right. Can someone clear this up for me?

#148 ·
tdouty, did you have success with this eventually? I'm in a similar boat but have a Canadian truck with the quad halogen 60% highs activated. I want to have the signals (LM5) code activated so that I can install my HID projector modded headlights from a 2012 Ram project. I suspect this cannot be done because of the current draw from the filament signal bulb vs low current LED's hence codes.

Maybe an LED replacement bulb would work?

Cheers,

Skydog

#127 ·
LM1 is correct for your truck and the only option, the dealer is right. LM5 is for projector lamps only, enabling the amber LED marker light as a bright DRL. LM5 applies to the Limited, Laramie, and any other high end model with the projector lamps. LM1 is for the standard headlights.

#129 ·
For those who got the DRLs turned on, is there a "DRL" indicator on the dashboard screen or something that tells you you have DRLs turned on?

#130 ·
Once DRLs are activated; they are always on (unless the vehicle is OFF) so there is no need for an indicator.

#132 ·
Well... It's been over a year now since my first "DRL experience". I traded the 15 Laramie (after struggling to get those DRL's enabled) for a 16 Laramie Longhorn. Went through the same drill. I was told the "the truck is not equipped for DRL's".

Much to the credit of the service writer and the tech, they listened to my explanation of adding a sales code to the body control module. They took it back in and added LM5 to enable the LED's as DRL's. He also put in LMK to turn on the projector headlights at reduced brightness, but I prefer the LED's, so he put LM5 back in there. I now have (what I consider) the nice looking turn signal LED's as DRL's.

My good fortune to encounter a service writer AND a tech that listens AND cares. Many thanks to service writer Chris and technician Charles at Don Jackson CJD, Union City. GA. These guys totally set the bar for what an experience with a dealer service department SHOULD be like.

#133 ·
Welcome to the DRL club. Took me 3 trips to the same dealer for them to get it figured out. Of course with me leading them on with how it's done.

Don't forget to update your truck below your avatar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.