OEM projectors swap from OEM base?

This is a discussion on OEM projectors swap from OEM base? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Lighting forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hi everyone, my first post here. I did some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question. I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OEM projectors swap from OEM base?

Member #

Hi everyone, my first post here. I did some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

I have a new company truck, base SLT with standard head lamps. I have found used OEM projector lamps for sale. Are these a plug and play swap? If not, is there an adapter cable I need to use?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 ED Outdoorsman
    Liked
    8 times
    https://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDet...tCode=13.Adapt

I did the swap but after a short time re-installed the Quad headlamps. This harness has inline resistors that prevent the hyper flashing normally associated with LED's. These resistors get VERY HOT, so hot that I just wasn't comfortable having it installed so I pulled everything out and went back to stock. Also, the harness is a direct plug n play fit but be prepared to slightly trim some tabs because both harnesses would not snap lock together without some fine adjustment. Retrosource new about the issue because they suggested I do the trimming. Another issue I had with the harness is that on one of the encased resistor, the wire pulled right out of it on installation so I had to disassemble and solder a new connection. As good measure I checked the other resistor just to be sure but it was OK. One last issue, the resistors need to be mounted on any solid metal surface clear of wires or plastic and there is only one option because it's a tight fit behind the headlamps. Once I had the resistors screwed down and mounted I come to find that the harness is too short not leaving me enough room to plug everything back together. I had to make snip off one of the plugs and solder on a few extra inches of wire to make everything reach.

All in all, yes you can make these work but be prepared for some unforeseen issues and don't expect the amber LED marker light on the projector to light up nice and bright as daytime running lamps like those that come factory installed. Rather they are dimly lite and only light up at full brightness when used as a flasher.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Laramie Eco ,98 2500 cummins, 05 vw tdi
    Liked
    368 times
    Welcome and enjoy! Great forum and plenty of good advice .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Thank you so much for the info. Gives me something to think about. So far this forum seems great!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Jeff View Post
    Hi everyone, my first post here. I did some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

I have a new company truck, base SLT with standard head lamps. I have found used OEM projector lamps for sale. Are these a plug and play swap? If not, is there an adapter cable I need to use?

Thanks in advance.
    Don't do it. The OEM projectors are garbage. Everytime I drive at night I cant believe I spent all this money for a truck with candles for headlights.
    Flames3D and RudolfDiesel like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cjames84 View Post
    Don't do it. The OEM projectors are garbage. Everytime I drive at night I cant believe I spent all this money for a truck with candles for headlights.
    So the base headlamps are as good or better? and I wanted them for the look more than anything.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Outdoorsman QC 4x4
    Liked
    116 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Jeff View Post
    So the base headlamps are as good or better? and I wanted them for the look more than anything.
    Ram's choice of projectors are gar-beege. Look into HID LED's for the headlights, you won't be disappointed. There's a threat that llaapp started about ordering a kit from The Auto LED Corp [email protected] Braden is the guy that runs the business, super easy to deal with, and answers all questions.
    RudolfDiesel likes this.
    2016 Outdoorsman Blue Streak Pearl 3.0L EcoDiesel Quad Cab 4x4

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited
    Liked
    2 times
    Definitely better. My F150's projectors were so much better, no comparison night driving. I you want to look good during the day and not be able to look at anything at night I would suggest your swap LOL

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cjames84 View Post
    Definitely better. My F150's projectors were so much better, no comparison night driving. I you want to look good during the day and not be able to look at anything at night I would suggest your swap LOL
    WOW, I didn't know they were that bad. Thanks guys. This forum is by far the best I've been apart of ! Very impressed.

RAM Rookie garettsimeon@gmail.com's Avatar
    Member #

Thread Revive

i know this thread is old but, i have been looking into swapping my quad lights for the projector set up as well, i looked at the retrofit adapter and they have upgraded it to a true plug and play with no resistors.

my only problem is they wont run the led turn signals as drl but i found a ram tazer that promises to be able to switch what light my truck uses for my drl by reprogramming the truck computer.
    what i wanna know is if anyone has actually used it for this swap?

also i am from canada so drl is a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links