EcoDiesel Fuel Filter Change - A video I took while changing my fuel filter.

This is a discussion on EcoDiesel Fuel Filter Change - A video I took while changing my fuel filter. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I know there are some folks on here that are still paying the stealerships to change their fuel filters. I know that some folks are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: EcoDiesel Fuel Filter Change - A video I took while changing my fuel filter.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    283 times

I know there are some folks on here that are still paying the stealerships to change their fuel filters. I know that some folks are nervous doing some of their own maintanence... but the fuel filter is sooooo easy... that you should just do it yourself!

Top, OSUgrad1992, roegs and 6 others like this.
    Troy - 2014 Ram EcoDiesel Limited

Join the Ram Truck Club on Facebook

Member #
    Vehicle
    4X4 2015 ED Outdoorsman CC ordered 8/12/14. Plan B 2014 Laramie ED CC 4X4 purchased 11/1/14.
    Liked
    2892 times
    TSR6,
    You should post this in the DIY thread too if you don't mind...thanks.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram EcoD
    Liked
    66 times
    Nice video and you're right about STEALership. I changed mine, using the bag technique, like you, but used a ratchet and the Geno's Garage tool instead of the oil filter wrench. Anyway, I was really curious what they would charge, so I called the dealership after I had changed it. They said they would charge 250.00. That made me really happy, because it cost me 15 minutes and 30.00 for the filter.

Keep truckin' man, nice video!
    RudolfDiesel and Jamesjh like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMerleBC View Post
    TSR6,
    You should post this in the DIY thread too if you don't mind...thanks.
    Do you have a link to this? I'll surely do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Kennesaw!16 View Post
    Nice video and you're right about STEALership. I changed mine, using the bag technique, like you, but used a ratchet and the Geno's Garage tool instead of the oil filter wrench. Anyway, I was really curious what they would charge, so I called the dealership after I had changed it. They said they would charge 250.00. That made me really happy, because it cost me 15 minutes and 30.00 for the filter.

Keep truckin' man, nice video!
    Bingo.... I've heard around the same.

Member #
    Vehicle
    4X4 2015 ED Outdoorsman CC ordered 8/12/14. Plan B 2014 Laramie ED CC 4X4 purchased 11/1/14.
    Liked
    2892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
    Do you have a link to this? I'll surely do this...

Bingo.... I've heard around the same.
    Here ya go:DIY How To Section

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie Ecodiesel
    Liked
    16 times
    Great video, I had a similar experience. One tip for you though, ditch the wedding ring when you do automotive work (or really any physical work). I know a couple guys who had to have their left ring finger amputated. They each made one careless slip and learned a painful lesson (one had the ring pinched and then ripped off his finger along with most of the tissue and the other was a 12 volt electical short through his ring. Instantly turned the ring cherry red and cooked his finger through the bone).
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie Limited
    Liked
    283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUgrad1992 View Post
    Great video, I had a similar experience. One tip for you though, ditch the wedding ring when you do automotive work (or really any physical work). I know a couple guys who had to have their left ring finger amputated. They each made one careless slip and learned a painful lesson (one had the ring pinched and then ripped off his finger along with most of the tissue and the other was a 12 volt electical short through his ring. Instantly turned the ring cherry red and cooked his finger through the bone).
    I do for more involved items - oil change and fuel filter change - worst that can happen is a smelly finger.
    Troy - 2014 Ram EcoDiesel Limited

Join the Ram Truck Club on Facebook

Member #
    Vehicle
    Laramie ED,CC,4x4
    Liked
    147 times
    And then you need to prime the filter?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Big Horn
    Liked
    19 times
    this makes it look pretty simple - I am always intimidated about doing this myself, I always break stuff when I try it. with that being said I tried to let the dealership do my maintenance and have felt the aggravation. I always asked them to complete the suggested maintenance list that is provided in the owners manual for that KM interval along with my oil change. Last month (where I heard about changing fuel filters ever 20 - 30K) I get looking through my receipts only to find out the fuel filter was not changed at 48K according to the work list. Also looking back through, I never saw anything about checking/draining water from the filter. So it turns out that I went 60xxx KM on the factory filter by the time I got it replaced. My fuel economy did get better for the next couple tanks but is back up now to 11.3L/100km.
    Long story, sorry - but I'm looking at doing my own maintenance and DIY vids like this help. Keep them coming folks if you could.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6895 times
    Thanks for posting. No matter the experience level, there's something there for everyone.

Nice to loosen the filter first so that it can be hand-loosened later in that bag. After loosening it, you can crack that drain screw and let it drain a bit into a pan or something. That screw is "trapped" and does not fall out unless you pull it out. It also drains better if pushed up a little after loose. At least when you do bag the filter there's less fuel to fill the bag.

Now the bag idea works well after a little loosening and draining. So simple even the mechanically inept can be successful.

As for the smell of diesel under the armpits, it might excite women? Try and let us know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links