More Frequent Regens with Colder Temps?

More Frequent Regens with Colder Temps?

This is a discussion on More Frequent Regens with Colder Temps? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Can anyone offer insight into this? I have the GDE tune and my truck ran two regens within 100 miles the other day. I'm in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: More Frequent Regens with Colder Temps?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Question More Frequent Regens with Colder Temps?

Can anyone offer insight into this? I have the GDE tune and my truck ran two regens within 100 miles the other day. I'm in Iowa and it's been below 30 degrees for the week. If I don't get the truck up to operating temperature on every drive, will the colder temperatures cause a quick build-up of soot? I noticed this last year as well - prior to the GDE tune - and this eventually led to the failure of the EGR cooler. Maybe this was a fluke, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Maybe I just need to make sure that I'm getting the truck up to operating temps on every trip.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1083 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JD915 View Post
    Can anyone offer insight into this? I have the GDE tune and my truck ran two regens within 100 miles the other day. I'm in Iowa and it's been below 30 degrees for the week. If I don't get the truck up to operating temperature on every drive, will the colder temperatures cause a quick build-up of soot? I noticed this last year as well - prior to the GDE tune - and this eventually led to the failure of the EGR cooler. Maybe this was a fluke, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Maybe I just need to make sure that I'm getting the truck up to operating temps on every trip.

I have definitely noticed that a cold engine reduces regen distance. The actual mechanics of why i am not so sure, but it probably has to do with a cold combustion chamber not fully burning all the fuel until it comes up to temp... this would create soot.

I will say though, if it regen'd twice in 100 miles thats odd. Did it finish the first regen? i have never seen less than 250 miles on a GDE tune.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    I have definitely noticed that a cold engine reduces regen distance. The actual mechanics of why i am not so sure, but it probably has to do with a cold combustion chamber not fully burning all the fuel until it comes up to temp... this would create soot.

I will say though, if it regen'd twice in 100 miles thats odd. Did it finish the first regen? i have never seen less than 250 miles on a GDE tune.
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it was awfully odd as well. I've driven a couple hundred miles since then and it hasn't regen'd again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    60 times
    My truck regens like clockwork at about 750-800 miles with GDE
    Last edited by Randy; 11-22-2017 at 04:48 PM.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1638 times
    Do you have the regen msg option? Did the first regen complete?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times
    I may notice a slight decrease between regens, but not 100 miles...unless you left your truck running for a few hours.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Do you have the regen msg option? Did the first regen complete?
    I do have the regen message and it did complete. That initial regen happened on Monday morning - I had a little extra time on my way to work - so I kept driving and let the regen complete. I made two short trips where I did not get the truck to operating temps on Monday evening/Tuesday afternoon, and on Tuesday night on a long trip, the truck started its second regen.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1638 times
    Odd for sure. I'd ask GDE on Monday. I've kept track of all my regens since new, and been GDE tuned since new. Shortest interval was 250mi but the previous regen stopped at 20% for an unknown reason.

Longest interval was in the 2500mi range due to passive regen while towing.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Odd for sure. I'd ask GDE on Monday. I've kept track of all my regens since new, and been GDE tuned since new. Shortest interval was 250mi but the previous regen stopped at 20% for an unknown reason.

Longest interval was in the 2500mi range due to passive regen while towing.
    Do you have an Edge CTS (or similar) monitor in your truck? Would that be beneficial to have something like that?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman
    Liked
    891 times
    It sounds as though for whatever reason the first Regen didn't fully complete. There is no way a GDE tuned truck could go from 8% soot to 80% in 100 or even 200 miles of driving. Yes the CTS or similar gauge shows soot percentage and you can monitor what's happening.
    2015 3D 4x4 QC Outdoorsman 3.55, 20" rims, Trailer Brake Control, Comfort Group, Luxury Group, Premium Cloth Bucket Seats, 8.4A Premium Sound (Upgrade JBL Speakers), Backup Camera, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Bedrug Bed Mat, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Dura Flap Splash Guards, EGR Ventvisors, Ionic Gladiator Running Boards, Tinted windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links