Oil Analysis Lab Test Results - Page 3

Oil Analysis Lab Test Results

This is a discussion on Oil Analysis Lab Test Results within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; How much does Oil Analyzers charge to run your sample?...

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree767Likes

Thread: Oil Analysis Lab Test Results

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    How much does Oil Analyzers charge to run your sample?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 RAM 1500 Lone Star EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
    This is disturbing - what oil are they putting in these engines if it's NOT Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30? There was but one or two oils in the U.S. That were approved when the 2014 engines were installed in our trucks! Does the dealer add oil once the receive the vehicle from the factory?
    I don't think it is disturbing, just different oil. They start them up and drive them off the assembly line so they have oil in them then. Going by what DJ-Gregg says, they would be filled at the engine factory in Cento, Italy. From what I can gather Fiat has some type of relationship with Petronas for lubricants. It may be that they are filled with Petronas Selenia Multipower C3. That is the oil specified for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0l VM Motori diesel in Italy.
    FL SELENIA - Fluids and Lubricants
    Last edited by Top; 05-13-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: corrections
    Kneebull likes this.
    Always learning.

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Top View Post
    I don't think it is disturbing, just different oil. They start them up and drive them off the assembly line so they have oil in them then. Going by what DJ-Gregg says, they would be filled at the engine factory in Cento, Italy. From what I can gather Fiat has some type of relationship with Petronas for lubricants. It may be that they are filled with Petronas Selenia Multipower C3. That is the oil specified for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0l VM Motori diesel in Italy.
    Now I have learned something new. I never heard of that oil here in the states, but it makes perfect sense as to why there is different oil from the factory. How did you learn of this? It would be great to get a baseline sample from that oil company & have it analyzed to see if it matches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2336 times
    I just got off the phone with Alex at Blackstone labs. His opinion on the two samples that I've sent in was that the factory fill was not the same oil as the second sample that I KNOW was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30. They do have a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 for reference.
    Next time you talk to them it would be interesting to ask them his view of the usefulness of the oxidation test and why they choose not to include it intheir standard package. Good to hear that they and Oil Analyzers both think the factory fill is different from the Ultra Euro L. At least we are getting consistent info. It could be a different oil completely as you have suggested or I suppose it could be Euro L with an additional breakin additive which could be why FCA does not recommend a first early oil change. Just my speculation but logically could hang together.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2336 times
    Does the Italian Jeep have the SCR and DPF that we have?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    2336 times
    How much does Oil Analyzers charge to run your sample?
    I buy the sample kit prepaid from AMsoil for just under $20. Normally I try to send 4-6 samples in at one time which fit in a nominal $6.00 USPS box. SO the shipping portion varies depending upon whether shipped singly or as a group. They also sell individual UPS and USPS postage paid kits. You can see al the options on the AMSOIL website.
    Last edited by howie12; 05-13-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: tyypo

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6528 times
    Petronas is a great oil company sponsoring motorcycle racing and other events all over the world. They may not market here in the North America but they do have a quality world-wide reputation.

It's a treat to now find out I actually used their oil. Wish I could have gotten an oil autograph.
    DanielDoo27 and Kneebull like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Does the Italian Jeep have the SCR and DPF that we have?
    Yes. The Euro 4 has been in place since 2005. I think that is when they started with DPF in Europe. Euro 5a for diesel started in 2009, then 5b in 2011, so the SCR and AdBlue DEF started around that time. They are now on Euro 6.
    Always learning.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    Next time you talk to them it would be interesting to ask them his view of the usefulness of the oxidation test and why they choose not to include it intheir standard package. Good to hear that they and Oil Analyzers both think the factory fill is different from the Ultra Euro L. At least we are getting consistent info. It could be a different oil completely as you have suggested or I suppose it could be Euro L with an additional breakin additive which could be why FCA does not recommend a first early oil change. Just my speculation but logically could hang together.
    I did ask him about the oxidation test. He told me that the oxidation is a part of the "insolubles %". He said that a number over 0.5% was high. Blackstone performs the test differently.
    Always learning.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1428 times
    Now I have learned something new. I never heard of that oil here in the states, but it makes perfect sense as to why there is different oil from the factory. How did you learn of this? It would be great to get a baseline sample from that oil company & have it analyzed to see if it matches...
    Purely speculation on my part based on nothing more than internet research.

I did live in Italy from 1990-1992, and I've been married to an Italian girl for 23 years, if that counts for anything.
    2443 likes this.
    Always learning.

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links