Oil Filter Housing Doesn't Drain

This is a discussion on Oil Filter Housing Doesn't Drain within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Good morning everyone, so my 5yr warranty is up this month, and after 5yrs of literally no additional maintenance required, except for few factory recalls, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Oil Filter Housing Doesn't Drain

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Big Horn EcoDiesel 4x4
    Liked
    15 times

Good morning everyone, so my 5yr warranty is up this month, and after 5yrs of literally no additional maintenance required, except for few factory recalls, I've decided that I only have one real complaint about my truck. Anytime I change my oil, the filter housing NEVER drains the oil and it ends up with a solid half cup on the floor and half cup pooled in the housing. I asked the local dealership if this is something that should be covered under the powertrain warranty and the service guy said only if the housing was cracked... Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this worth taking up to FCA customer service and seeing what they will do?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6679 times
    Hi smittie. Drive by you often to go to my hunting camp near Preston.

So who is changing your oil? Seems there might be a problem with the changer. Crack the oil filter cover and let things sit. There's a little plunger that is pushed down by the filter that drains things out. Wait for it to drain maybe a minute or three or so. Then unscrew things the rest of the way and yank the filter out.

Sure there's still a little bit of oil left in there. Wait some more. It drips down in time while you then go under, open the pan drain and let it pour out. That takes maybe another 10-15 minutes. Now look at the filter housing. Sure there may be a drop or three but so what? Push in a new filter and forget about it or, if real anal on the ounce or less visible, stick in a paper towel and soak it up. On TV I think they advertise a brand that is best for oil spills.

Patience is the key. the right sequence and some time to drip down is the secret. Shhh. It's a secret as we don't want people to know, love their Ecodiesels, demand more and cause price rises.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Ram 1500 ED Crew 4x4 6.4
    Liked
    64 times
    My 18 does something similar. I take out the drain bolt and then just loosen the filter cap. Wait until the oil is finished draining then remove the filter completely. Typically, oil is still standing in the housing. I wait another 20+ minutes and it has drained down, wipe out the housing and put the new filter in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1633 times
    I believe the 2014 model doesn't have the drain-back feature in the filter housing that is found in the '15+ models. There's nothing wrong with your truck, it just wasn't designed as well as the later oil filter housing. You can probably swap out for a later filter housing but that entire thing on the side of the engine would need replaced.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Big Horn EcoDiesel 4x4
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I believe the 2014 model doesn't have the drain-back feature in the filter housing that is found in the '15+ models. There's nothing wrong with your truck, it just wasn't designed as well as the later oil filter housing. You can probably swap out for a later filter housing but that entire thing on the side of the engine would need replaced.
    From what I researched it looks like this is correct, and its dang frustrating. I much prefer if it was just an oz like the Capt suggests, however, its overflowing, no matter how little or how much I crack the cap and let it sit. I priced out a housing that has the drain back feature,,, $250ish dollars so I'll just stick to the rags. to catch the spillage. Either way, 70K and still running strong so I feel good about keeping her another 5yrs. Unless of course, they come out with an ecodiesel hybrid truck that gets 40 mpg

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    575 times
    Next oil change just install a new oil filter housing its only $133 possibly less if you shop around more and comes with a new oil filter. https://www.idparts.com/ecodiesel-oi...aa-p-6338.html
    Kazimodo and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    450 times
    get a turkey baster.....
    HYDREX likes this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    584 times
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1633 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    get a turkey baster.....
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    Not much help when it leaks the second the cap is loosened. No room to get anything in there.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    584 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Not much help when it leaks the second the cap is loosened. No room to get anything in there.
    Did know that would happen. Stuff an old rag towel around it b4 removal i suppose. Same issue with the side mounted Yamaha oil filters on my F115 outboards...
    Captainmal likes this.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links