Dealer Maintenance: What Do They Actually Maintain?

This is a discussion on Dealer Maintenance: What Do They Actually Maintain? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Iím curious if anyone knows what the dealer mechanics actually do/look for when I go in for a regularly scheduled oil/filter change. I find the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dealer Maintenance: What Do They Actually Maintain?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Eco Bighorn
    Liked
    5 times

Iím curious if anyone knows what the dealer mechanics actually do/look for when I go in for a regularly scheduled oil/filter change.

I find the prospect of maintaining a diesel on my own a bit more overwhelming when compared to a gasser, so Iím curious if there is anything specific I should look for or do for regular maintenance (lube points, inspections, etc).

I just got my GDE tune (love it) and Iíve done the rear axle and transfer case oil changes. Oil changes cost nearly $300 in the east GTA (probably similar across Canada).

What do you folks do for regular maintenance?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn ecodiesel
    Liked
    71 times
    I took my 2015 Ecodiesel in to the dealership for all service as the dealership offered half price oil changes. When I traded the 2015 in on my 2017 Ecodiesel they no longer offered the half price oil change so I called FCA to see if they had a reduced oil change coupon. FCA added two FREE oil changes to my account just for calling and asking. I was very thankful to FCA for this gift. For my third oil change....I could only find FCA coupons for oil changes on gassers so I called them again. They sold me 4 oil changes for $400 US, so I continue to go to the dealership.
    Work they do:
    Change oil and filter
    Rotate tires and show me tread depth
    Adjust tire air pressure
    Measure brake pads and show me life left
    Check and top off all fluids
    Check for any codes stored
    Check air cleaner
    I have them replace the fuel filter every other oil change ( This is an additional charge)
    Many on the forum do all of their own maintenance. I did too when I was younger. The price is good for me with FCA coupons. Since I do not perform my own maintenance, I make a point to inspect under the hood and look for leaks on the ground regularly. There are videos online for performing the maintenance if you would like to perform them yourself.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nounofchoice View Post
    I’m curious if anyone knows what the dealer mechanics actually do/look for when I go in for a regularly scheduled oil/filter change.

I find the prospect of maintaining a diesel on my own a bit more overwhelming when compared to a gasser, so I’m curious if there is anything specific I should look for or do for regular maintenance (lube points, inspections, etc).

I just got my GDE tune (love it) and I’ve done the rear axle and transfer case oil changes. Oil changes cost nearly $300 in the east GTA (probably similar across Canada).

What do you folks do for regular maintenance?
    I do my own maintenance as I find that I can do it a lot cheaper. I watch for sale prices on Rotella T6 and buy extra when it is on sale. I then send a copy of the receipt to Shell for the rebate that they have. I buy the oil filter from the dealer so they have a record of me purchasing one. The dealer here wants me to change the oil at 8k kms instead of the 16k, so that automatically doubles an expensive dealer visit. I buy the fuel filter from the dealer as well and do that change myself. Pretty easy to do with the directions given in the maintenance forums here. I look for any grease zerts and give them a few shots. Tire rotation gets a little heavy as I am not that big and with 20" chrome covered steel rims and e-rated tire it is a little awkward but doable. I will be doing gear oils this summer. Also make sure that you clean the Map sensor on a regular basis unless you are tuned. Unless you have a large pocket book I advise against for easy maintenance tasks you can do yourself with the help of the forum members here.
    nounofchoice likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1343 times
    namretsud , you found some zerts ,???
    nounofchoice , you could unscrew the yellow plastic screw under the fuel filter , to let water out
    decades ago this was important , now with new garage inground plastic tanks , there is much less water contamination
    and I don't read often of anyone doing it .
    looking for extra work to help the truck ; you could look into this :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...g-failure.html

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...ther-look.html
    --------------------------------------------------------

maybe a little preventive maintenance to the 3rd brake light , before it starts to leak inside the cab .
    many threads on that :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...3-leaking.html
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...nger-leak.html
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...lem-my-ed.html
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...bin-smell.html
    I like post # 1 in this thread :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...et-reseal.html
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post323770

also over there : http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87346
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 06-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    nounofchoice likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    180 times
    Kaz, I find that if you are looking for basic truck help on ramforumz they can be helpful. But if you are talking about the Ecodiesel, not so much.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1343 times
    That is why I almost never go there ,
    only when someone links a thread that gives info not found here ,
    very rare...

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1631 times
    I find the oil changes on this truck easier than most gassers I've done. Fuel filter is a breeze as well.

I'd recommend lubricating the front wheel bearings every 60-75k miles. This is something the dealer won't do as they're not marketed as being serviceable. Luckily we've found it easy to add grease by removing the ABS sensor.
    nounofchoice likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Longhorg CC 4X4
    Liked
    10 times
    I do my own maintenance too, the ecodiesels are pretty easy. I bought an ez flow valve to make dropping the oil simpler. I buy my oil filters, air filters fuel filters from Rock Auto 2 or 3 of each to keep my shipping cost down. I use T6 and buy it from Amazon or Walmart, wherever it is cheaper. I use Baldwin filters. I just keep a copy of my receipt and also keep digital copies too. I change right at 10k and the fuel is every 20k and I change my air filter at 20k too. I am changing oil about every 6 weeks or so. It saves me a lot of money and time doing it by myself instead of depending on a guy at a dealership that is getting paid $10 an hour to change oil.

I just replaced a wheel bearing on the right side at 169,000 miles. Can you elaborate on how you lube your wheel bearings? I had never heard of removing the ABS sensor to do grease them.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nounofchoice likes this.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1631 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfortably numb View Post
    I just replaced a wheel bearing on the right side at 169,000 miles. Can you elaborate on how you lube your wheel bearings? I had never heard of removing the ABS sensor to do grease them.
    Thanks
    Pretty simple, actually. Just pull the wheel, caliper, and rotor. Remove the ABS sensor screwed into the hub assembly. Use a fitting on the grease gun that has the tapered tip so it can be held over the ABS hole firmly. Have someone spin the hub as you fill it with grease.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfortably numb View Post
    I do my own maintenance too, ....

... Can you elaborate on how you lube your wheel bearings? I had never heard of removing the ABS sensor to do grease them.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    first 2 links in post # 4 ...all info there .
    Front wheel bearings only ,
    the rear ones get lubed by rear diff oil .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links