Checking The Oil (Is There A Trick?)

This is a discussion on Checking The Oil (Is There A Trick?) within the RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I had the oil changed for only the second time at dealer the other day and I wanted to check to make sure the oil ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Checking The Oil (Is There A Trick?)

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Bighorn
    Liked
    2 times

I had the oil changed for only the second time at dealer the other day and I wanted to check to make sure the oil level was correct. When I pulled the dipstick out all I could see was black oil all the way to the top of the flat spot at the end of the stick. I wiped it off and tried again...same result. I did this four more times and each time it was the same. I began to think the dealer overfilled it. I let it sit for several days and checked it again and the side with the level information was covered but it was close to the middle on the other side. Unfortunately, I have not been able to duplicate that a second time. Is there a trick to this? I feel so stupid that I can't even check the oil in my truck. Thanks for any suggestions. Jeff

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1508 times
    Make sure the truck is parked on a level surface both front to back and side to side.

Truck needs to be cold or at least sitting off for 15 or so minutes before checking.

First check on these is usually inaccurate and will show low due to the dipstick tube being o-ring sealed and trapped air getting stuck in the dipstick tube.

Pull it wipe it off with clean towel and recheck to get an accurate reading. I like to check mine first thing in the morning cold or after its been sitting for several hours.

Also as you may have seen the oil on these turns black almost immediately if your not tuned.
    3DHawkeye and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Bighorn
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Make sure the truck is parked on a level surface both front to back and side to side.

Truck needs to be cold or at least sitting off for 15 or so minutes before checking.

First check on these is usually inaccurate and will show low due to the dipstick tube being o-ring sealed and trapped air getting stuck in the dipstick tube.

Pull it wipe it off with clean towel and recheck to get an accurate reading. I like to check mine first thing in the morning cold or after its been sitting for several hours.

Also as you may have seen the oil on these turns black almost immediately if your not tuned.
    MAS, thanks for replying so quickly. I tried all of these suggestions. Except for that ONE time, both sides always have black oil all the way up the flat part of the dipstick. If it wasn't for that one time I'd swear that the dealer failed to drain all the old oil before filling it with clean oil and, as a result, overfilled it. After I picked it up from the dealer I drove it less than 10 miles to where I was staying and checked the oil. It was already black as coal. That's what first made me think they didn't drain all the used oil from the truck. Now it seems to read about a quart high no matter how many times I check it.
    Captainmal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    570 times
    If it is overfilled (possible) the oil pressure guesser should be higher than normal at idle. I always add 11qts at change and prefer to keep it at MAX or slightly above.

Suggest posting a picture so others can see exactly to issue. If stock tuned it will be black shortly after change. Also possible tech did not allow long enough drain time and simply re-plugged and filled with 10.5.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    If it is overfilled (possible) the oil pressure guesser should be higher than normal at idle. I always add 11qts at change and prefer to keep it at MAX or slightly above.
    With the "oil pressure" reading the EcoD provides from the factory, it doesn't matter how much oil is in the sump. It's a calculation not a measurement, the value is based on the programmed parameters.
    Even on vehicles that have actual oil pressure gauge, unless the sump is so overfilled where the crank is foaming the oil, it's not going to effect the oil pressure.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Bighorn
    Liked
    2 times
    I currently have the truck parked where it's level. I'll wait until tomorrow morning and check again. If it's still looking high should I try to drain some out or should I let it go? I've already driven it about 1,400 miles towing a 7,000 lb travel trailer home from vacation.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    With the "oil pressure" reading the EcoD provides from the factory, it doesn't matter how much oil is in the sump. It's a calculation not a measurement, the value is based on the programmed parameters.
    Even on vehicles that have actual oil pressure gauge, unless the sump is so overfilled where the crank is foaming the oil, it's not going to effect the oil pressure.
    Well that is disappointing and the display is completely misleading? I knew was a guess but not to this extent.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1615 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    Well that is disappointing and the display is completely misleading? I knew was a guess but not to this extent.
    No, it's pretty accurate.
    shawclan5 likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6632 times
    Man I get two conclusions from your thread, maybe more.

First is I am guessing the dealer did NOT change the oil. BLACK oil is oil tainted with carbon from the EGR system. New oil is from clear to a slight translucent brown. Something is not right. Granted old oil residue staining the dipstick could make it look larker that fresh oil. While the dipstick off carefully and dip it back in. If it's not coming out clean as new, if the oil is new, then something is wrong.

Next you clearly show what is wrong by trying to operate an Ecodiesel in a stock form. Your EGR system is polluting your engine with soot. That is a real problem for your engine. To stop that from happening and keep your engine clean is simple. Simple as three letters.

G D E. Don't leave home without it.
    cds13ca likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1508 times
    It’s been a while Capt. but almost immediately after changing oil and starting it will be black again. (With stock tune)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links