Long Cranking time - Page 4

Long Cranking time

This is a discussion on Long Cranking time within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Might this issue be related to the amount of fuel in the tank? It has happened to me that when I let the fuel level ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Long Cranking time

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1044 times
    Might this issue be related to the amount of fuel in the tank? It has happened to me that when I let the fuel level drop very low.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram ecodiesel, 03'ford 250 6.0 superduty, 05' volkswagen jetta tdi, toro 23hp kubota diesel
    Liked
    29 times
    18sec. crank this morning and for the first time again this afternoon. The tank is full. The last two filters were iFJF from amazon at $20. Going to put a mopar filter on and see what happens before we take to dealer. Hasn't stalled or anything just long crank times

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram ecodiesel, 03'ford 250 6.0 superduty, 05' volkswagen jetta tdi, toro 23hp kubota diesel
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitrock View Post
    18sec. crank this morning and for the first time again this afternoon. The tank is full. The last two filters were iFJF from amazon at $20. Going to put a mopar filter on and see what happens before we take to dealer. Hasn't stalled or anything just long crank times
    Put in a mopar filter last week, no change, most mornings it's 18 to 21 seconds. If we start it 9 or 10 at night it starts instantly in the morning. I pulled the metering valve on the high pressure pump and check for metal shavings and everything looks great. I guess the dealer will get their chance to fix it now, just dont want them throwing parts at it, gotta get this sorted out so we can tune. Anyone else had this trouble and seen a solution?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    570 times
    Not sure if its been asking but have you tried cycling the ignition a few times before cranking? Could be the in tank lift pump allowing the low pressure fuel system to drain back.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    29 times
    Yes, up to five cycles until pump turns off each cycle. Even took return line off on top of engine to see if it had fuel coming out. Pumped into a fruit jar to get a good look at it and all looked clean. Done this when problem first started.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2411 times
    I’d pull a fuel sample just to make sure no gasoline traces, Then I’d have the AEM flash (if not already done) I believe the entire fuel system is covered by the extended emissions warranty? Then I’d bring it to the dealership and complain about long cranking time ....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    92 times
    Load test your battery. New vehicles require a certain RPM before they fire the injectors. Could be a dying cell. Even throw a boost on it and see what happens.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianF View Post
    Load test your battery. New vehicles require a certain RPM before they fire the injectors. Could be a dying cell. Even throw a boost on it and see what happens.
    I will try jump box next time it does it, I started truck just now so it should start fine in the morning, seem like if it's ran every 12hrs. it starts like it supposed too.

Yes this is post AEM and I will tell them what i have checked and tried and maybe they can figure it out. Old school seems like it's loosing prime but this aint no old school engine.
    Thanks for suggestions, that's why i posted this on here to get ideas and wisdom from the ecodiesel universe!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links