Long Cranking time

Long Cranking time

This is a discussion on Long Cranking time within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey Guys, New to the forum, I usually just troll around. I have a 2015 EcoD with 22,xxx miles on it. This past weekend I ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Long Cranking time

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Long Cranking time

Hey Guys, New to the forum, I usually just troll around. I have a 2015 EcoD with 22,xxx miles on it. This past weekend I went out to Yuma, AZ where it was 100-108 degrees outside. After unloading the truck and boat and everything at the house I got back in the truck and tried to start it, it cranked for probably 8-10 seconds before it finally started up, I noticed when it was cranking a low oil pressure message appeared on the screen but as soon as it started that was gone. Throughout the course of the weekend I moved the truck a bunch of times all with the same result, one of the times it cranked for what seemed like 20 seconds and you could hear the motor almost fire up but it just wouldnt do it, again the low oil pressure message popped up on screen but as soon as it started it was gone. I also noticed on the drive home the oil got really hot, higher than I have ever seen it. Now that I'm back in San Diego in 70-80 degree weather the truck is still doing it, sometimes its just 3-5 extra seconds, sometimes longer.

I don't think this is battery related because it still cranks at the same speed it did when it was brand new, it just cranks for a while before it turns over. I haven't had any issues with the truck besides this, the service electronic throttle message has popped up 3-4 times but it immediately turns back off with no issues, other than that its been to the dealership a few times for some oil changes but nothing else. Kinda stumped. The dealership is going to take a look, I called today and they cant look at it until the 18th...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2391 times
    Did you look at your radiator coolant tank ?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2359 times
    Has the fuel filter been changed yet? Could be the fuel, maybe a big change in fuel quality. Hard to determine by mileage as your towing.
    The low oil pressure could just be a side effect of the engine taking so long to crank over.
    Check the battery voltage while the truck is off and while cranking, it should stay above 12V. ground your meter to something other than the negative battery terminal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times
    Welcome to the forum.

This is going to be a hard one to determine right off the bat. The oil pressure will be low until the truck is started. The thing is, the long cranking. Did you purchase fuel anywhere different? Did it happen after you purchase fuel? The only other thing I can think of, High Pressure Fuel Pump. If you don't take it in now, and it is still doing it, especially after a fresh tank of fuel, and possibly a filter change, I would have it taken in.
    Crash68 likes this.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Diesel Outdoorsman
    Liked
    98 times
    I would defiantly check the voltage of your battery, both off and during cranking, as Crash68 has suggested... a bad battery will do funny things to the electronics

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 Lone Star
    Liked
    99 times
    I would check the oil quantity. Low oil quantity , low oil pressure, high oil temperature. Maybe just low on oil!!!
    Vno likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie
    Liked
    146 times
    Could be the glow plugs failing. You may notice white smoke from the exhaust if the DPF isn't collecting it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2359 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiesel View Post
    Could be the glow plugs failing.
    doubt the glow plugs are going bad, if it was happening on the first start of the day then it would be a possibility.
    If you tip-start the engine and it cranks immediately, the ECM is not turning the glow plugs and waiting for them to warm up.
    choochooman74 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2366 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    Has the fuel filter been changed yet? Could be the fuel, maybe a big change in fuel quality. Hard to determine by mileage as your towing.
    The low oil pressure could just be a side effect of the engine taking so long to crank over.
    Check the battery voltage while the truck is off and while cranking, it should stay above 12V. ground your meter to something other than the negative battery terminal.
    I have never seen a 12v battery stay at 12 volts or above when cranking unless it was an 8D starting a lawn mower. While I didn't check my truck, I would expect it to drop well below 12 and probably below 11 volts but it is a relatively small engine and a good sized battery. Seems to me it was about 10 volts with a 5 liter V* gas engine. Surely there is a good Ram technician here that knows the correct number, but I feel certain it isn't 12 volts or above.

All the best,
    choochooman74 and Crash68 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    I have never seen a 12v battery stay at 12 volts or above when cranking unless it was an 8D starting a lawn mower. While I didn't check my truck, I would expect it to drop well below 12 and probably below 11 volts but it is a relatively small engine and a good sized battery. Seems to me it was about 10 volts with a 5 liter V* gas engine. Surely there is a good Ram technician here that knows the correct number, but I feel certain it isn't 12 volts or above.

All the best,
    On our locomotives, our 68 volts of batteries (give or take a few volts) drops down in the low 50's on cranking. When I restart after initializing a mobile regen on my edge, my edge alerts me that I go below 11 volts. A load test on the battery is probably a better alternative.
    howie12 likes this.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links