Lag Returns with GDE Tune? - Page 2

Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

This is a discussion on Lag Returns with GDE Tune? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I have the same problem too!! What I have noticed is if I put my foot into it hard, the turbo will spool up and ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 ED Laramie 4X4
    Liked
    13 times
    I have the same problem too!! What I have noticed is if I put my foot into it hard, the turbo will spool up and then it like the transmission will grab and then I am barking the tires!!!
    gawoods likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1526 times
    If your not coming to a good complete stop a lot of times the lag is the truck trying to start in second gear instead of first and then the jolt is it downshifting to first. Sounds like yals problem to me.
    97hmcs and Thermorex like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6687 times
    Doubt it. The cruise control is a GDE feature at low speed. Must still be there.

Transmission slip? There is a time that can happen when that transmission wants to downshift, takes a split second and pressing the throttle gets you nothing until the transmission shift is complete. Just a guess and hope nothing is really wrong.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Doubt it. The cruise control is a GDE feature at low speed. Must still be there.

Transmission slip? There is a time that can happen when that transmission wants to downshift, takes a split second and pressing the throttle gets you nothing until the transmission shift is complete. Just a guess and hope nothing is really wrong.
    Which is exactly the situation I described and is a known occurrence for many.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 CC Limited
    Liked
    40 times
    Sounds like GDE needs to launch their transmission tune!

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6687 times
    Not sure an automatic transmission delay is unusual.

With my manual transmissions it takes time to shift the gear box, move the clutch in and out to finally get a driveline connection. Automatics for passenger vehicles are not some kind of race transmission. There are delays while things shift. Surely some can be made (read expensive) that have quick shifts or some kind of near instant shifting procedure. We are not in a racing situation. Putting along public roads does not require high-tech racing power and gear changes.

Often thing many of us need to put our driving needs in perspective and enjoy the ride.
    MAS likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Not sure an automatic transmission delay is unusual.

With my manual transmissions it takes time to shift the gear box, move the clutch in and out to finally get a driveline connection. Automatics for passenger vehicles are not some kind of race transmission. There are delays while things shift. Surely some can be made (read expensive) that have quick shifts or some kind of near instant shifting procedure. We are not in a racing situation. Putting along public roads does not require high-tech racing power and gear changes.

Often thing many of us need to put our driving needs in perspective and enjoy the ride.
    That's a good point. It just seemed that the lag was nearly gone upon installation of the tuned ECM, and now it's back to what it was like before the tune. But like you said, maybe it doesn't really matter! I just hope my engine isn't slowing imploding... haha. If that happens, well, like anything else, I'd deal.
    gawoods likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JD915 View Post
    That's a good point. It just seemed that the lag was nearly gone upon installation of the tuned ECM, and now it's back to what it was like before the tune. But like you said, maybe it doesn't really matter! I just hope my engine isn't slowing imploding... haha. If that happens, well, like anything else, I'd deal.
    I have noticed the same. I thought I was just imagining things. Should we all call GDE? Maybe they will read this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gawoods View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JD915 View Post
    I have noticed the same. I thought I was just imagining things. Should we all call GDE? Maybe they will read this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Maybe we're both imagining things... ha. No, we're definitely not. The transmission downshifting thought may be what's going on, but I'm not totally sure that's it. I'll come to a complete stop, use the toggle button on the steering wheel to ensure that the truck is in 1st gear, and I'll still experience the lag. Again, maybe this could be my misunderstanding of how our trucks' transmission works, but I wasn't experiencing this for a couple months after tune.

I called GDE upon noticing this for a couple weeks. They suggested I check for a boost leak, and thought maybe I was experiencing the lag during regens and just didn't realize that was a side-effect of a regen (which, truth-be-told, I didn't know). They also said it should have nothing to do with the MAP sensor. I think I'm going to clean the sensor regardless.

I have yet to check for a boost leak because I'm not really sure how to do that. They mentioned something about pouring soapy water somewhere and watching for bubbles. I totally get that concept, but I'm not sure where I'd be pouring the water... Anyway, that's where I'm at.
    EcoD likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Cab
    Liked
    177 times
    I have to admit, I was also noticing the same thing. I had just returned from a 5000km trip towing over 5000 lbs, so I thought maybe the computer had to relearn driving without a trailer. My truck still sets cruise at low speed, so GDE is still there, not too worried, but seems different than before.

Oh yeah, my mileage also seems a little worse than before too...
    2015 Laramie
    Crew cab

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links