Lag Returns with GDE Tune? - Page 3

Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

This is a discussion on Lag Returns with GDE Tune? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by Ben28881 I have to admit, I was also noticing the same thing. I had just returned from a 5000km trip towing over ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben28881 View Post
    I have to admit, I was also noticing the same thing. I had just returned from a 5000km trip towing over 5000 lbs, so I thought maybe the computer had to relearn driving without a trailer. My truck still sets cruise at low speed, so GDE is still there, not too worried, but seems different than before.

Oh yeah, my mileage also seems a little worse than before too...
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Just to clear the air, I've been very pleased with the GDE tune and what it's done for my truck. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced something similar to what I have. Thanks for the responses.
    gawoods likes this.

SAV
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie CC Pearl White
    Liked
    13 times
    Actually noticed the same thing too.

Got the GDE tune in the first 1000 km of buying the truck. At 53k now and the lag has definitely reappeared! The tune is still active since I can hit cruise at a low speed.

I thought I was just imagining things!
    gawoods likes this.
    2014 RAM EcoDiesel Longhorn Laramie -
    2015 RAM EcoDiesel Laramie - Bright White - SOLD
    2016 RAM EcoDiesel Laramie - Pearl White

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Glad to know I'm not imagining things. I had a local mechanic help me out to check for a boost leak - negative. Maybe GDE can offer some other advice or an explanation? I'm still loving the truck, but the lag is slightly annoying, and I, like many, spent a good chunk of change to resolve that issue.
    gawoods likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    1. It's too bad there isn't a manual tranny for these trucks.
    2. Use a spray bottle (old windex bottle is what I use) with soapy water to check for boost leaks. Engine only needs to be at idle usually to find them.
    3. Modern Diesel engines have complicated software. Factory derates often occur in steps. The inducement also takes certain number of hours or miles to occur. GDE might need to update the software to fix this. Solutions may take time to develop. Give them feedback and be patient. I'm sure they are working hard to provide the best tune they can.
    4. Monitoring your engine is critical as well. Get an Edge CTS2 or Bluetooth app to watch pids. Once you have a baseline stock tune it and develop modified level of operation. I run a Smarty touch in my Cummins trucks.
    2017 Outdoorsman CC SB
    03 & 05 Dodge 2500 &3500 CTDs slightly modified Ekotuning.com dealer SW SK

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM CC EcoDiesel Laramie with Ram Box, Leather, Heated/Vented Seats, Air Suspension, and P Sens
    Liked
    179 times
    OK. Add me to the list of turbo lag is back and MPG went down. However, because of the slipping MPG and noticing the lag, I re-installed my OEM chip and the lag is waaaay worse, so I promise, it's not as bad as stock.

But, and where's GDE, the chip is definitely not performing up to the same level it was when I first installed it.
    MODs: GDE Tune | Amp Research Power Steps | BakflipG2 Tonneau Cover (Don't Buy one) | Stubby Ant and Dee Tailgate Assist

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM CC EcoDiesel Laramie with Ram Box, Leather, Heated/Vented Seats, Air Suspension, and P Sens
    Liked
    179 times
    I emailed them with this thread link.
    MODs: GDE Tune | Amp Research Power Steps | BakflipG2 Tonneau Cover (Don't Buy one) | Stubby Ant and Dee Tailgate Assist

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1083 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottysize View Post
    I emailed them with this thread link.
    generally, this stuff is likely to be simple.

1) Make sure your fuel filter is clean
    2) make sure your air filter is clean
    3) throw some injector cleaner in the tank for a few tanks - asphaltenes are a b!tch.

you can check your intake plumbing, but meaningful leaks will throw underboost codes. Fuel delivery is the most likely culprit w/ a diesel that is lagging.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    generally, this stuff is likely to be simple.

1) Make sure your fuel filter is clean
    2) make sure your air filter is clean
    3) throw some injector cleaner in the tank for a few tanks - asphaltenes are a b!tch.

you can check your intake plumbing, but meaningful leaks will throw underboost codes. Fuel delivery is the most likely culprit w/ a diesel that is lagging.
    Injector cleaner is waiting for me at home.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    51 times
    I find that the transmission shift down lag is the biggest issue. Rolling up to a stop then go, does not allow the trans time enough to shift down so take off is sluggish/slow until the trans shifts. This is an issue at time trying to pull into traffic..............

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel, Crew Cab, 4X4
    AMP Running Boards | SnugTop | BedRug | Tough Country 4" Lift | Dorman | Tailgate Assist | Rear Air Bags | Tint | Undercover Bed Mat | WeatherTech Mud Flaps | Rear Wheel Well Liners | Debadged Doors | Air Horns | 3D printed phone holder | Door Latch Covers | Toyo Open Country LT 275/65/20R A/T (33's) | 3.92's| Rear Under Bumper LED Back UP Lights | Tow Hook Filler LED's | Fog Light LED's

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lamarie CC
    Liked
    63 times
    ^^^^^^Agree Totally^^^^^^^^^

GDE states latest update takes care of this issue.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links