Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

This is a discussion on Lag Returns with GDE Tune? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I've had the GDE Tune for 10,000 miles. I installed the new ECU at about 45,000, and my truck just rolled over 55,000. Like nearly ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Question Lag Returns with GDE Tune?

I've had the GDE Tune for 10,000 miles. I installed the new ECU at about 45,000, and my truck just rolled over 55,000. Like nearly every other GDE tuned truck, I experienced all of the great benefits: turbo lag virtually gone, increased MPG, and the EGR shutoff. However, in the last few weeks, the lag in the transmission/turbo (not really sure - I've read it referred to each way) has returned.

I've been very intentional about paying attention to it, and it sounds and feels very similar to how the truck performed pre-GDE. The first little bit on the pedal, not much happens, and then the truck will "surge" ahead. Someone suggested a boost leak. Could that be a possibility? How would I check on that? I've also read on here that the MAP sensor may have something to do with this issue. I've never had the sensor off or cleaned, so maybe that would be a good idea either way. On that same thread where I learned about the possibility of the MAP sensor, another guy said this is exactly what happened to his truck before he experienced total failure of his engine.

Looking for input as I'm slightly concerned about this. Maybe I have no reason to be, but I wanted to ask others more knowledgeable than I. Thanks.
    BrianS likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Bighorn Ecodiesel, CC, 4X4, 20" wheels
    Liked
    285 times
    I've noticed it myself (not quite as bad) and have not had any contact with stealership.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Big Horn
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JD915 View Post
    I've had the GDE Tune for 10,000 miles. I installed the new ECU at about 45,000, and my truck just rolled over 55,000. Like nearly every other GDE tuned truck, I experienced all of the great benefits: turbo lag virtually gone, increased MPG, and the EGR shutoff. However, in the last few weeks, the lag in the transmission/turbo (not really sure - I've read it referred to each way) has returned.

I've been very intentional about paying attention to it, and it sounds and feels very similar to how the truck performed pre-GDE. The first little bit on the pedal, not much happens, and then the truck will "surge" ahead. Someone suggested a boost leak. Could that be a possibility? How would I check on that? I've also read on here that the MAP sensor may have something to do with this issue. I've never had the sensor off or cleaned, so maybe that would be a good idea either way. On that same thread where I learned about the possibility of the MAP sensor, another guy said this is exactly what happened to his truck before he experienced total failure of his engine.

Looking for input as I'm slightly concerned about this. Maybe I have no reason to be, but I wanted to ask others more knowledgeable than I. Thanks.
    Check your MAP sensor first. It's a 10-15 min job. And then you can rule out that issue is it's still there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Funny this came up...I just about got hit today because I "went for it" expecting it to be there and it wasn't, instead getting a very pronounced lag...today was the first I noticed it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 ED, CC, 6'4", 4x4, Air Susp, Longhorn
    Liked
    850 times
    Me too.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
    Liked
    145 times
    Test your GDE tune with your cruise control, should engage at 25(?). The other thing the lag is not removed completely, just reduced significantly. Finally contact GDE see what they have to say about this.

Just my thoughts.
    BrianS likes this.
    2014 Ram Outdoorsman, Tuxedo LoPro Bed Cover, Geno's Cabin Air Filter, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Geno's Garage Fuel Cap, Kats Power Cord, Plasti Dipped Emblems

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4600 times
    Must be the uconnect OTA software update. (I kid)
    Crash68 likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1526 times
    I don't even have a GDE tune. If the "Lag" is causing you to get in accidents your pulling out WAY TOO CLOSE IN FRONT OF PEOPLE ANYWAY!
    trace2008 and FLDieseler like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2382 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    Must be the uconnect OTA software update. (I kid)
    If there is a spike in aluminum foil sales... we'll know why... LOL
    Diesel78 and FLDieseler like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
    Test your GDE tune with your cruise control, should engage at 25(?). The other thing the lag is not removed completely, just reduced significantly. Finally contact GDE see what they have to say about this.

Just my thoughts.
    I indeed tried that. The cruise will still engage at 15 MPH, and I have not been back to the dealership since installing the tune, so there isn't any way the tune has been overwritten. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your thoughts!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links