Turbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo

This is a discussion on Turbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Good morning all, I have had a couple of turbo under boost codes now. I think they were P0299 but not really sure as the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Turbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
    Liked
    17 times

Good morning all,

I have had a couple of turbo under boost codes now. I think they were P0299 but not really sure as the paperwork is in my truck at the dealership. Very happy with the truck 2016 Laramie 4X4 I will have had it 2 years coming up in August. It has just a touch over 52K miles and this is the only issue I have ever had. My dealer, whom I am happy with as well, has told me they need to replace the turbo due to the amount of "dirt" that built up on the turbo sensor they cleaned the first time I had this code. Only a few hundred miles and the sensor is dirty again and he said it would ordinarily take about 20 to 30K to see that kind of dirt on that sensor so they are gonna replace the turbo. It is covered by the power train warranty so I have no issues there. He says they will have to remove the bed and the cab to change the turbo. My initial thought is OH CRAP!!! my truck will never be the same again, as that seems like a ton of work and with as many electronics and therefore connectors that seems scary.

My question for you all is this. Are there questions I should ask my dealer before, during and after this procedure? Are there things to check/look for when I get the truck back? Anyone on here had this procedure and have any good or bad results? I have a long trip coming up at the end of June. From OKC to Madison WI pulling a stock trailer with a small heifer and all the required gear to be at a livestock show for a week with my family and this calf. Not really looking forward and I am a little uneasy about a trip like this so soon after such a major repair. While it will be one heck of a test, I don't want to have my wife, daughter and her calf stuck on the side of the road somewhere between here and there. This is by far the best truck I have owned in a long time and I am looking forward to many more miles. I have not taken the step of a GDE tune as yet. It is on the radar and was planning on doing it before the trip but this may or may not change that. I have read the numerous threads about it and think it would definitely help, I have also seen good and bad stories about warranties and such with that tune. I suppose it depends on if you keep your original ecm and install it before taking it to the dealer. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Plug the code in the search function and youíll pull up a few threads on the subject
    Donholl likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi , 4 X 4,
    Liked
    247 times
    Glad to hear at least repair covered under warranty...
    Donholl likes this.
    2019 Bighorn 4 X 4, 3;21, pending rear, spray in Linux liner for box, Bright Red Crystal Pearl. TRADED in ED, no longer suited for my needs...
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800, with installed 2015 Cobra Razor Trike Kit (Color=Yukon Gold)
    (2) Hossies,.. ... (4) Doggies... (Pics in album)

Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith. RONALD REAGAN

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Crew Cab Limited
    Liked
    633 times
    My dealer, whom I am happy with as well, has told me they need to replace the turbo due to the amount of "dirt" that built up on the turbo sensor they cleaned the first time I had this code. Only a few hundred miles and the sensor is dirty again and he said it would ordinarily take about 20 to 30K to see that kind of dirt on that sensor so they are gonna replace the turbo.
    This doesn't make any sense to me. So, how is the turbo bad? Is the theory that there is something wrong on the exhaust side - where the turbo is not coming up to speed? Or, do they think the exhaust side is OK but the problem is on the compressor side? I simply don't understand their "theory" as to why they think the turbo is bad. What sensor are they talking about?
    Donholl and 97hmcs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    546 times
    The boost sensor is in your intake manifold its called manifold absolute sensor or map sensor. Also there is no reason to pull the bed even for an entire engine swap but pulling the cab is a lot faster then dropping the transmission and exhaust manifolds.. It sounds like your service writer has no clue what there talking about, hopefully the technician does.
    Donholl likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    This doesn't make any sense to me. So, how is the turbo bad? Is the theory that there is something wrong on the exhaust side - where the turbo is not coming up to speed? Or, do they think the exhaust side is OK but the problem is on the compressor side? I simply don't understand their "theory" as to why they think the turbo is bad. What sensor are they talking about?
    I unfortunately don't know the answer but I will be calling to ask for some clarification. The first time it was in with this code they told me that the protocol was to clean the turbo sensor and replace the air and fuel filters. The second time (a couple weeks later) they told me what the original post states, that the sensor was dirty again and should not be and the protocol (i assume something in the service manual) was to replace the turbo. Both instances when the code appeared, I had been parked and the engine off for a few minutes and when I started my truck to go about my business the service electronic throttle control message came up in my display along with the red lightning bolt indicator and the yellow engine indicator. I am going to follow up with them for a little better explanation. Thanks for your input, that is exactly what I needed to know since I am not sure exactly how all this works..

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I get a sense that your dealership lacks experience with diesels.
    A gas mechanic will always reel with shock at the condition of diesel exhaust systems.
    You may like them, but Iím doubting their techís ability.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Crew Cab Limited
    Liked
    633 times
    Still not sure what sensor they are speaking about. If it is the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor, I'm not sure how a "dirty sensor" can be attributed to a bad turbo. (Not saying that it is not possible, I just can't get my mind around the theory they have.)

Further, "Both instances when the code appeared, I had been parked and the engine off for a few minutes and when I started my truck to go about my business the service electronic throttle control message came up in my display along with the red lightning bolt indicator and the yellow engine indicator.." This DOES NOT sound like it can be contributed to a bad turbo. Once again, I suppose it may be possible but to me it sounds really improbable. This, and knowing the dealership may be motivated to dive in and get some profit margin on warranty work on FCA's nickle. But my chief concern is that they are not yet on the right problem and chasing this wild hare of a bad turbo isn't likely going to resolve your problem.
    Henfield and Donholl like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1264 times
    this sensor , usually just clean it and go .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%25-location-yellow-arrow.jpgTurbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-10563d1445044244-need-inspect-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%2525-shut-20151016_181000.jpgTurbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-10564d1445044265-need-inspect-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%2525-shut-20151016_181019.jpgTurbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-10565d1445044277-need-inspect-map-sensor-13k-miles-plugged-80%2525-shut-20151016_181030.jpgTurbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-after-cleaning.jpg

Donholl likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1264 times
    Important to clean with " non-chlorinated " brake cleaner , if you do use brake cleaner ,
    (( BUT even that seems to be the wrong stuff , SEE NEXT POST by Brokendownbutgood )) .
    t40 torx bit to remove the sensor .
    some info in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...0%25-shut.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turbo Underboost code Dealer says they will replace turbo-non-chlorinated.jpg
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 05-01-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links