Another EGR question

Another EGR question

This is a discussion on Another EGR question within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice and to be upfront, I haven't done a lot of researching for answers on the forum yet. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another EGR question

Member #
    Vehicle
    '15 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4, tow a '19 Coachmen Catalina 293QBCK
    Liked
    13 times

Another EGR question

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some advice and to be upfront, I haven't done a lot of researching for answers on the forum yet. I've got a '15 that just went in to service for a failed crankshaft position sensor, which the dealership is luckily fixing under my warranty. However, I expressed to them that the truck has been slowly burning coolant and I asked if they could check it out. They came back and said the truck had that common EGR leak and quoted be at around $3000 to get it fixed, because it isn't under warranty.

So here comes the part where I'm looking for thoughts and advice:

Option 1: Should I go ahead and spend my kids' college savings (joke) on fixing this EGR mess and hope that I could get reimbursed under the extended warranty from the lawsuit?
    Option 2: Should I wait and see if it's covered until the extended warranty that we get as part of the lawsuit and then try to get it fixed?
    Option 3: I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so should/could I fix this myself?
    Option 4: Something else?

I really appreciate any input you all can provide. I'm sort of under the gun to make a decision while they have the truck in to repair the position sensor. Thank you guys and gals in advance!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4 times
    I am personally a stickler for keeping my vehicles in good condition and running. Therefore I would suggest fixing the issue whether you decide to pay the dealer or complete yourself. Unfortunately you may have created a public record at the dealer. Therefore ignoring could lead to issues down the road if FCA decides to cover at any point.

Sorry, I cannot speak to the particulars of the current lawsuit as I really have not followed closely.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    485 times
    How many miles? Unless you're over 100k, you shouldn't feel lucky the dealer is covering the CPS. Mopar warranty clearly states "and all sensors" on the powertrain warranty. I'm beyond tired of reading stories of ignorant dealers trying to stick it to customers or make them feel lucky something is covered like they're doing us a favor.

I see you're in SoCal. Read the California emissions warranty booklet (can download PDF from Mopar manual site). Your dealer must cover the EGR under that warranty which covers it for 7 years and I think 70k miles. Unless you're over that mileage.

You'd be better off waiting it out (unless you're consuming a ton of coolant), the final settlement is May 3, less than a month out. If you can get the reflash scheduled quickly thereafter and qualify for the extended warranty, it's all covered still.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    13 times
    So unfortunately, I'm not still in California. I have since moved to NC. I wonder if that CA emissions warranty still covers the truck since I bought it there...???

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1029 times
    you're in Cali , different warranty , I would wait for others to chime in , I heard longer coveredge in Cali .
    Because you are in Cali you cannot just remove it because those who do get codes , and install a tune to remedy ,
    but in Cali , no one will sell you a tune ...
    mechanically inclined , OK , find a good used EGR cooler , or get a new one , swap it out yourself , using the
    instructions on how to delete it , all you have to do is reverse instructions for install .
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tructions.html
    EDIT : Ah Crap , additional info while typing , NC and not Cali ,, , save $$$$ , get a $200 EGR stage 2 delete kit , get the GDE Hot Tune
    and voila use same instructions above and see the EGR cooler fall off . Total :+/- $ 1000 instead of $3000 for a crap unit that may fail again soon.
    BrianF, eljefe and DrivingZiggy like this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1239 times
    Get the GDE hot tune and get rid of the EGR all-together. Your truck will be much better off in every way.

You could wait until summer or fall, once GDE has a chance to shake out the AEM and adjust their tune accordingly. Problem with waiting is your putting coolant into the exhaust which will slowly ruin the exhaust emissions.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    13 times
    I am planning to delete the EGR and get the tune. Wouldn't doing so risk my ability to get the settlement money?

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1029 times
    yeah catch 22 , waiting for fall depends on where and how you are losing your coolant ,if
    it just goes out the overflow tube of the degas bottle , sure , just keep level up and add a
    bottle of some sort to catch the sticky coolant until you can act .but , if if goes into your exhaust
    it is making a mess of your DOC and DPF , that a lot of $$$.
    threads with post about mess in DPF : Post # 19 in here :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...g-coolant.html
    B-g-K 's original thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/r...ile-blues.html
    link to adding a bottle :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/d...extension.html
    you say you are mechanically inclined ,
    how much for EGR at dealer , because at Rock Auto it says " out of stock " for now :https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+cooler,16170
    you fix it , you get the settlement money , settlement pays for that with $$ left for tune
    next time EGR messes up , you are already tune compatible for EGR delete.
    as I read it , there will be no retroactive warranty payment on parts just because they are added to warranty
    after the AEM , they would have to fail after you get the AEM .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1029 times
    here is one Tony , obviously the guy deleted his truck , we can see the DPF / DOC canister
    removed in the background . $ 375 + 25 shipping .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ram-Ec...wAAOSwq25cnY9u
    says the EGR has 4K miles on it .

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Check with your county's emission laws. Not all counties in NC have stopped emissions. If you don't have to pass emissions, I'd spend the money on deleting the EGR and just be done with the problem never to return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links