Update to engine shudder

Update to engine shudder

This is a discussion on Update to engine shudder within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Evening all, Quick background for those that don't know (many of you!). I started to notice an engine shudder while idling, especially during warmup. Specifically ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shaggn85
  • 2 Post By Bounty Hunter

Thread: Update to engine shudder

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Update to engine shudder

Evening all,

Quick background for those that don't know (many of you!). I started to notice an engine shudder while idling, especially during warmup. Specifically when the coolant temps were between 115-150 degrees. While stopped there would be a distinct small shake of the engine. If I let go of the brake and allowed the idle to carry the truck, either forwards or reverse, the truck would stutter and kind of roll as if one was going over small potholes, not smooth at all.

I also noticed that the engine would become more throaty almost sounding as if a valve was stuck open. Mind you, the dealership had just replaced my EGR as the valve was stuck open, so my mind was drawn to this. All the while, no MILs and it drove great. I didn't experience any of these symptoms after the truck was warmed up.

I was able to explain this to the dealership and after spending the day with it they were able to replicate what I had experienced. Ultimately they are replacing the injectors on it, as their diagnostics showed they aren't delivering correctly....

Both issues have been covered by warranty (emissions portion) but I am getting a bit sketched out by the truck.I bought it in December with 38k and it has 41k on it now. I went in knowing the issues it has had, but I was hoping that the 2016 would avoid the growing pains of the 14's and 15's. I will do GDE, but am waiting for the update so I don't have to pay GDE to reflash...

Anyone else have any ideas beyond what they are saying?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6239 times
    Replacing injector and EGR sticking should not be related. Reads like a dealer throwing out stuff to see what might work and get money doing it. No way for someone not involved to make sense of the issues.

What does make sense is your last sentence.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Replacing injector and EGR sticking should not be related. Reads like a dealer throwing out stuff to see what might work and get money doing it. No way for someone not involved to make sense of the issues.

What does make sense is your last sentence.
    Luckily they won't be getting any money from me. I'll continue to be the squeaky wheel until the problems get fixed. I've previously brought up the class action and the TSBs that these trucks have had, so they know I'm not coming in with an open checkbook. On the bright side, I will have new injectors and a new EGR system, let's just hope they last!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1046 times
    Quote Originally Posted by browjo23 View Post
    Luckily they won't be getting any money from me. I'll continue to be the squeaky wheel until the problems get fixed. I've previously brought up the class action and the TSBs that these trucks have had, so they know I'm not coming in with an open checkbook. On the bright side, I will have new injectors and a new EGR system, let's just hope they last!
    I wouldn't be scared of it. They are standing behind it and you are getting some pretty spensive new parts for free.

If they did tests and showed injector variations that would def be your shudder.
    browjo23 likes this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1386 times
    '14 models had the symptoms you describe and a TSB was issued by FCA to replace the heads. Soot was the problem I believe.

If you still have the problem after the injector replacement, I'd consider replacing the intake manifold due to soot accumulation at the swirl valves. This theory is a stretch as this problem usually throws a CEL.
    browjo23 and navyr113 like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Crew ED with 6'4 RAMbox
    Liked
    143 times
    I would make a bet that this will not resolve your problem.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    "Run silent, run deep"

2016 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 Laramie 6'4 Rambox with 3:92 Rear - Air Suspension - All Packages - NAV - AntiSpin - Sunroof - G2 BackFlip
    2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD
    2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRAM View Post
    I would make a bet that this will not resolve your problem.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    If not, I'll be sure they keep it until it does. They gave me a rental so I'm sitting pretty right now. Do you have any insight as to what it could be??

Sponsored Links