2018 Ram ED Deceleration/Coast Noise

This is a discussion on 2018 Ram ED Deceleration/Coast Noise within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hello. I am new to this group. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 ED with 1500 miles and is stock. Within the past 400 miles ...

Member #

Hello. I am new to this group. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 ED with 1500 miles and is stock. Within the past 400 miles the truck has developed a rather loud deceleration noise while coasting. It reminds me on a card in the spikes of a bicycle. I can hear the noise in the cab with the windows rolled up and the radio on low. I brought it to the dealer and they informed me that they could not identify the noise and that the vehicle is operating as designed. I’m not sure I buy that. I took a under hood video and will attach the YouTube link below. I hope that someone may have some thoughts or advice. I am thinking about taking it in to another dealer. I really appreciate the help!

YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/Yhl3VSYJcC8

Thanks!
    Jay

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2283 times
    Depending on what side of the engine it appears to come from, it may be something driven off the belt? It's hard not say but eventually the noise will get worse then the dealer may find it

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie Eco
    Liked
    25 times
    Definitely doesn't sound right. My 2018 has about 2500 miles on it and I haven't ever heard a sound like that. Like @Crash68 says, most likely it's going to get worse and they'll have to do something about it then, but in the mean time, I'd drive that thing like I stole it to make sure it gets worse.... :-)
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I appreciate the comments. The noise just does not sound right to me. I’m a marine diesel guy but this Deceleration issue Noise is new to me.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Certainly isn't normal. Have you used the 4wd at all? If so I'd cycle through the different modes to be sure everything in the transmission and transfer case are in the right positions. Other than that I'd go to a different dealer and show them the video. They can't deny something is going on in the video.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6385 times
    How you make that video?

Guessing you mounted a camera in the engine compartment. Then took off for a drive to get things moving and then coast to create the deceleration. Creative on your part.

As for any help from me, I don't know that I hear anything unusual. Never really heard inside a closed engine compartment at speed and deceleration. Lots of clacking and tapping. Just did not pick out anything unusual as I have no past experience listening inside the engine compartment during operation.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

JDC
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie Limited EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a 2015 ED with nearly 100,000 kms on it. When I decelerate, at times, I get a noise that sounds a bit like the one you recorded, but of course not as loud in the cab. I associated it with the transmission gearing down, and perhaps the turbo unloading. It has done it from the beginning. It does seem to do it more when the engine is really hot or has been worked (like when I pull my rv trailer).

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    525 times
    Dont hear anything too abnormal in the video but there is so much noise its hard to sort it all out. The biggest thing I think of with coasting noise its from a improper setup with a differential. But could also be a timing chain issue aka improper tension.

Sponsored Links