CEL, Low Oil Pressure, Service Electronic Throttle

This is a discussion on CEL, Low Oil Pressure, Service Electronic Throttle within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; First time getting any type of CEL. Sitting in the driveway after having just started engine and noticed CEL light on. Scrolling through the screens ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CEL, Low Oil Pressure, Service Electronic Throttle

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Laramie Longhorn CC 4x2
    Liked
    8 times

First time getting any type of CEL. Sitting in the driveway after having just started engine and noticed CEL light on. Scrolling through the screens to look at Oil Pressure, Temp, etc.., when Low Oil Pressure light followed by Service Electronic Throttle (I think) and engine shut down. Sat there a minute thinking "oh crap." 2015 Laramie Longhorn with 99,428miles. Hit the start button again and it tried to start but wouldn't turn over. Looked under the truck and no oil on the driveway, but still stressing out.

I have GDE tuned ECM installed. Put OEM ECM back in before calling dealer for tow. After doing the swap, I went ahead and hit the ignition and let it cycle up and then hit the start button and it started right up. No CEL, no warnings and sounded totally normal. Drove a couple miles down to Lowes and back, no issues.

Deciding now whether to try to make 20mile drive to the office, or still have it towed to selling dealership, which happens to be just down the street from the office.

I'm just wondering why it would get these warnings and engine shut down with the GDE ECM, and seemingly run fine with the OEM now installed?

On a side note, just got the claim approval paperwork Wednesday and was going to swap them out to get the AEM update anyway. I usually put 100miles on the OEM module before taking the truck into the dealership for anything.

Guess I'll try and make the drive and see what happens.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4316 times
    Let us know how it goes. Can you check for any stored codes?

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Just drive it with stock ECU and if it melts down all the way dealer will have all the codes and data logging they need to pull off the stock ECU.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    8 times
    Made it to the office, no issues. A few errands to run and will keep monitoring. Not that much of car tech guy that I've ever bothered to get any type of code reader. Don't know if it could still be read after swapping out the module. Dropping the truck off Monday morning for the AEM update after putting some miles on it over the weekend. If it makes it through the weekend.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1188 times
    codes are stored in the ECM you removed , ( the GDE one )
    if there is something wrong with the truck , the CEL should appear again
    then you or the dealer should see them in present stock ECM , wow , at 99,428 miles , how lucky is that ,
    before turning 100,000 K and being told " out of warranty "...
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    codes are stored in the ECM you removed , ( the GDE one )
    if there is something wrong with the truck , the CEL should appear again
    then you or the dealer should see them in present stock ECM , wow , at 99,428 miles , how lucky is that ,
    before turning 100,000 K and being told " out of warranty "...
    Good to know. I wasn't sure if codes were stored anywhere else. I'm guessing then that the dealer will have no clue unless it happens again. So other than buying a code reader, my only way to know is to take it into a local shop with the GDE module reinstalled?
    I did send an email to GDE as well. Was surprised I got a reply from them after hours. I will probably swap GDE back in after the AEM update Monday.
    So far, no new CEL or warnings.
    I was thinking the same about the mileage, but I do have the 6/120,000 extended warranty as a back up.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1188 times
    Those trucks are very Finaky , you wrote "" noticed CEL light on. Scrolling through the screens to look at Oil Pressure, Temp, etc..,
    when Low Oil Pressure light followed by Service Electronic Throttle (I think) and engine shut down.""
    whenever engine shuts off , the dash shows oil presssure warning , and other lights , just take a look now while everything runs great ,
    sometimes just touching both gas and brake pedal at the same time , the truck throws a fit , bizarre that it acted the way you described
    on other attempts to start the truck .

a cheap scanner here : https://www.wish.com/product/57b715f...gaAoHJEALw_wcB

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    whenever engine shuts off , the dash shows oil presssure warning , and other lights , just take a look now while everything runs great ,
    sometimes just touching both gas and brake pedal at the same time , the truck throws a fit , bizarre that it acted the way you described
    on other attempts to start the truck .

a cheap scanner here : https://www.wish.com/product/57b715f...gaAoHJEALw_wcB
    I had read about the gas/brake pedal issue in other threads. I don't think that happened, but I wasn't paying that close of attention at the time. Everything seems to have been normal for the past week. There are some noticeable differences in performance during the 350miles driven with the OEM module in there.

Dropped the truck off for the AEM recall/update this morning. The dealership is only about 2miles from my office and the GDE module will be going back in as soon as I get the truck back this afternoon. I'll be holding my breath when I go to start it up.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    8 times
    AEM update done, 2mile drive back to the office, swapped GDE module back in.

Got the shop next door to hook up their code reader. P0087-Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low, and P016F-not known to their coder.

Attachment 80572Attachment 80574Attachment 80580Attachment 80582

Cleared the codes. Sending follow up email to GDE as well.

Driving down to San Diego and back tomorrow, so we'll see how it does.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1188 times
    all I have on P016F :
    "" P016F - that is a low fuel pressure code
    can be fuel filter , if not , it can be a faulty fuel control actuator
    see post # 53 by AZ rattler , in this thread :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post913360 ""

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links