An unusual noise to me...maybe?

This is a discussion on An unusual noise to me...maybe? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; I had our 2016 flashed this past Wednesday (6-5-19) I did noticed the sluggish response on the acceleration. That is not the issue. My biggest ...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Air Suspension to pull the home on wheels
    Liked
    14 times

I had our 2016 flashed this past Wednesday (6-5-19) I did noticed the sluggish response on the acceleration. That is not the issue. My biggest concern is the low pitch sound.

This past weekend, took our Lance trailer for a 500 mile camping trip. Didn't pay attention on the way there, but yesterday on the way back I noticed a low pitched winding noise , the noise would wind down to no noise at all as I came to a slow stop (exiting off the freeway). Would that be part of truck being flashed or is it something else? The turbocharger maybe, maybe not or is it normal, and I'm just noticing it! Any ideas. I am concerned.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2334 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SerKel View Post
    I had our 2016 flashed this past Wednesday (6-5-19) I did noticed the sluggish response on the acceleration. That is not the issue. My biggest concern is the low pitch sound.

This past weekend, took our Lance trailer for a 500 mile camping trip. Didn't pay attention on the way there, but yesterday on the way back I noticed a low pitched winding noise , the noise would wind down to no noise at all as I came to a slow stop (exiting off the freeway). Would that be part of truck being flashed or is it something else? The turbocharger maybe, maybe not or is it normal, and I'm just noticing it! Any ideas. I am concerned.
    I have no idea what a winding noise sounds like. DOes it change when standing still and you raise and lower the engine rpms? If not it likely something behind the engine. If you get going to 50 mph and put truck in neutral and coast to a stop do you hear it and does it cahnge as it slows down? If so something in the drivetrain but not the engine.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie Air Suspension to pull the home on wheels
    Liked
    14 times
    When standing still the noise goes away. Standing still and raising and lowering RPM no noise. I haven't tried going up to 50 mph yet. I will experiment all what you suggested.

Today I returned my trailer back to storage There was no noise , never went pass 40 mph.. Could there be a possibility that, when I was pulling my trailer (5,600 lbs) on average of 65 mph the cooling fan was working extra harder and when I slowed down do get off the highway for a break it stopped? And maybe over thinking something that is normal?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2334 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SerKel View Post
    When standing still the noise goes away. Standing still and raising and lowering RPM no noise. I haven't tried going up to 50 mph yet. I will experiment all what you suggested.

Today I returned my trailer back to storage There was no noise , never went pass 40 mph.. Could there be a possibility that, when I was pulling my trailer (5,600 lbs) on average of 65 mph the cooling fan was working extra harder and when I slowed down do get off the highway for a break it stopped? And maybe over thinking something that is normal?
    could be.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6507 times
    Howie might be on to something with that fan. During the brief return home running that AEM tune I heard something different. At home in the driveway it was the fan turned on. Not something I normally heard or experience unless real hot and towing with GDE.

Have not towed with GDE since re-programming it in last week. Have driven around quite a bit but no towing. All seems and sounds normal. Maybe that program turns on the fan more often?
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Sponsored Links