Post Emissions Update truck stalled won't restart

This is a discussion on Post Emissions Update truck stalled won't restart within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; 2015 Bighorn Eco-D 60k miles Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update and few other Safety recalls I had put off. ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Post Emissions Update truck stalled won't restart

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Eco-Diesel 4x4 Bighorn 5.5 Bed
    Liked
    16 times

2015 Bighorn Eco-D 60k miles
    Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update and few other Safety recalls I had put off.

Towing Camper back from a 50 minute trip. When I got off highway and started to ramp back up to speed, when dash lit up with "Trailer brake not connected" (I use aftermarket one) then throttle stopped responding and I coasted to side of road. Truck no longer would start...... Starter would just crank.

Someone stopped with a code reader, And told me (I should have got pictures) Electronic Throttle, and some Transmission code.

I got someone to come tow my Camper home, and Got Truck towed to dealership.

That was 10 days ago. I'm waiting on a call back this am, but as of Thursday last week, they don't know what the problem is. Because codes were all gone once We tried to disconnect the battery on side of road in hopes we could re-set computer so it would start and I could limp it home.... But no dice.

Very similar to IDOSEADOO's account

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...ont-start.html

Should this be covered under emissions warranty?

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    If something listed on the settlement extended warranty has malfunctioned, the answer should be yes. If something not listed on the extended warranty has malfunctioned, more than likely the answer is no.

After you are provided with a repair diagnosis, compare that to the components listed on the extended warranty. Contained within that list will be your answer.

Also, you may still have power train warranty remaining on your vehicle. The repair may or may not be covered under the power train warranty,

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    16 times
    Heard back from dealership..... They still don't know what's wrong with it. They have their "master" technician looking at it now.... and he has contacted FCA for help troubleshooting it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    A friend relayed a story of rescuing someone with the exact symptoms here in Washington recently. They were towing a trailer over one of the local summits and the truck stopped dead in the right lane of the road. My friend towed him to a pull-off. Same trailer brake message and crank with no start. I don't know the year of the truck or if it had the AEM.

Ed

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by anuccite View Post
    Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update and few other Safety recalls I had put off.

Towing Camper back from a 50 minute trip. When I got off highway and started to ramp back up to speed, when dash lit up with "Trailer brake not connected" (I use aftermarket one) then throttle stopped responding and I coasted to side of road. Truck no longer would start...... Starter would just crank.

Someone stopped with a code reader, And told me (I should have got pictures) Electronic Throttle, and some Transmission code.

I got someone to come tow my Camper home, and Got Truck towed to dealership.

That was 10 days ago. I'm waiting on a call back this am, but as of Thursday last week, they don't know what the problem is. Because codes were all gone once We tried to disconnect the battery on side of road in hopes we could re-set computer so it would start and I could limp it home.... But no dice.

Very similar to IDOSEADOO's account

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...ont-start.html

Codes don't get wiped from disconnecting the battery. thats old-school stuff that doesn't work on any newer vehicles.

Your issue, is likely either the ECU died (its a computer - they can go bad) or you have a major connector that just got disconnected. happens.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    16 times
    Another Week and They Still have no clue!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1080 times
    Find another dealer. It's a diesel. Only three ingredients, fuel, air, cranking. That's it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2409 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggn85 View Post
    Find another dealer. It's a diesel. Only three ingredients, fuel, air, cranking. That's it.
    And all above mentioned has to be timed properly or it will not start, There’s been quite a few reluctor rings flinging apart and cracking, One dealership kept telling one of our members saying it was a bad ECU the owner removed the ECU sent it to GDE to be checked, GDE sent it back stating it was OK most likely a bad reluctor ring , Guess who correctly diagnosed the issue? GDE....
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by anuccite View Post
    Truck Ran fine for a couple hundred miles post Emissions update ........... Starter would just crank.

Without a code , impossible to guess what is going on .
    completely refuses to start ,,,a guess ,, reluctor ring as others have said , and that is included in the post AEM extended warranty .

in case you wonder what reluctor ring is , it is located beween the engine and transmission ,
    a ring with code bars glued to it , and a reader called "crankcase position sensor " , sometimes
    a piece of the glued code bar flies off , (( as in last picture , half inch strip missing )) then the truck will NEVER start again until replaced .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Emissions Update truck stalled won't restart-crankcase-position-sensor-actual-sensor.jpg   Post Emissions Update truck stalled won't restart-crankcase-position-sensor-reluctor-ring.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    16 times
    Just called me because they can't get my battery to take a charge so they can't continue to test it........ So they want to replace it..... I said.... "you don't have a battery you can put in it to continue testing" Nope.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links