Gde & egr & def

Gde & egr & def

This is a discussion on Gde & egr & def within the RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; New to the site and Eco Diesels...forgive me if I don’t know all the correct nomenclature while I drink from the fire hose that is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gde & egr & def

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 1500 eco diesel Laramie Longhorn
    Liked
    6 times

Gde & egr & def

New to the site and Eco Diesels...forgive me if I don’t know all the correct nomenclature while I drink from the fire hose that is this forum.
    Does a GDE tuned ECU keep the EGR system from allowing exhaust into the intake manifold? If so, does than mean the truck wouldn’t use any DEF? If so, let the DEF tank run dry or will that cause a problem?
    Side note: lots of TLAs on this forum

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    545 times
    Def gets injected into the scr to strip NOx emissions apart into harmless stuff. The egr recirculates inert exhaust gasses back into the intake to lower the available oxygen which results in a lower in cylinder temp thus lowering the production of NOx emissions, NOx is created whenever combustion occurs over 2500 F. The standard gde hot tune shuts off the egr system but keeps the def system intact and functional. They well shut off the def system by request for an extra fee but no reason to unless the system is malfunctioning.
    HYDREX likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    I knew a guy from Hermiston would have the answer! After GDE does the EGR function do any harm to performance or MPG or just make the tree huggers feel better?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    545 times
    The egr once shut off does nothing but it is still under pressure and heat just not as much heat. Cause of that it can leak but is much less likely to leak when shut off, if it does leak when shut off it well do much less harm than if active. Really the only downside is slightly higher NOx emissions but since the scr and def are still intact and functional its probably not to bad. NOx emissions are not a green house gas there harmful to us humans and a big cause of smog so there really bad in cities prone to smog, portland really is not bad for smog but I try to spend very little time there.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6497 times
    Funny. There guys may want to play you around a bit with all the abbreviations.

The answers are, in order ... YES, NO, YES.
    That dirty, sooty EGR is NOT related to the DEF system. They are independent and one operation is not associated with the other. You let the DEF tank run dry and there WILL be problems. Here iit is in short form.

Get the GDE Hot Tune. Install. Now, unless you ask GDE to put in a total shut-off for the DEF, you need to have something for that injector to inject. I use water in my tank. You can use DEF if you fear a freezing issue. Might even try windshield washer fluid that will resist freezing. I resist freezing here in Florida but living here so I use water.

Your EGR will be shut off, oil and engine will run clean and you even get more advantages in operation and reliability.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    ordered ahead of a 1,500 mile trip coming up. Won't even have enough time to determine the current MPG but what the heck? Looking forward to reporting back my experience.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    GDE delivered today.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1254 times
    Enjoy PapaCap , any questions on install , just ask .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6 times
    Followed the directions read to me...unfortunately I read them after and realized that I did NOT disconnect the glow plug module but completed all other steps. Upon starting the dash displayed the 90% EGR message...get to the highway...did that and all seems well. Is the glow plug module critical to a successful install? How can I be sure it “took?”
    Note to self...if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1254 times
    Unplugging glow plug connector is just to give you better access .
    the message to go hit the highway is normal , it is not EGR message , but DPF ( diesel particule filter ) message ,
    all who installed new GDE tuned module got that .
    imagine that your DPF was full at 65% , ( stock tune regen trigger point is 66% ) ,
    then you install a new ECM that thinks your filter is at 9% ,
    that would mean your truck would go a long time before starting a regen ., specially since GDE tune will only regen at 80% ,
    in order to not overfill the DPF , the install is followed by a ride on the highway where you will see a regen take place ,
    then when it ends you are at 8% soot and the software in the ECM starts from there to measure the soot % , your next regen will
    start when you reach 80% , if you have a monitor you can see it go up .
    If you kept your stock ECM , it would be a good idea to note the soot % kept in memory of ECM removed when swapping
    so that you do not fill soot to exagerated levels .
    Captainmal likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links