Considering a used ED

Considering a used ED

This is a discussion on Considering a used ED within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hello everyone, Newbie here. I'm considering purchasing a used ED in the near-ish future. For the record, until I did a bunch of research I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Considering a used ED

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Considering a used ED

Hello everyone, Newbie here. I'm considering purchasing a used ED in the near-ish future.

For the record, until I did a bunch of research I thought Rams were unreliable garbage trucks. I always loved them after seeing Twister as a kid, but was told to stay away no matter how beautiful they are. I am happy to say after long hours of online researching my views have changed. That and coming from a Ford family and my buddy's 2015 5.0 needing the entire driveline replaced at 60,000 miles...well my world has been flipped upside down quite frankly.

Anywho...

I drive a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. It's been great but it's up in miles and I'm realizing costs to fix are about to exceed it's worth. Plus, current lifestyle I could really use a truck.

So after my research I narrowed it down to the Toyota Tundra and the Ram 1500. I love my current yota, but I also drive about 60 miles a day 80/20 highway/city. So obviously the miles per gallon of the ED really appeals to me, especially compared to the 13 combined of the tundra.

I do tow a little. I have a 19' ski boat I use on weekends in the summer. But I've pulled it with my runner so it cant be more than 5,000lbs. I'm thinking maybe 2,000.

But to the nitty gritty: I remember the ED coming out and all the problems. Obviously we still see them on the road (and you guys like them) so they cant all be bad. I will admit my reservations though. I've always purchased older vehicles with higher mileage for under $15k and over 100k miles. So buying a newer truck with 40-70k miles in the mid to high $20s, I want reliability. But then again who doesn't want reliability.

I do know that getting a tune from a company (I cant recall which at the moment) definitely helps in run cleaner. I had a 2006 powerstroke for a while so I also remember straight piping can help with EGTs. I'm also pretty religious about 5,000 mile oil changes.

So I guess what I'm wanting to ask is, are these Ecodiesel trucks as trustworthy as a Tundra or even the Hemi? Do you guys walk out every morning, keys in hand, and just KNOW it will start with no hiccups? That's how I've felt about my 4Runner and I'm afraid of losing that faith. Especially because Dodge/Ram having a spotty record was engrained into my brain for 28 years.

Thank you everyone and I must now apologize for the lengthy post.
    Docmcg likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    485 times
    Welcome.

I haven't had a whole lot of problems. Up until last week I had not had a single diesel-related problem, which appears to have been resolved after a fuel filter change. The only other major issue I've had was not shifting out of 4x4, and that may have been self-induced by not letting off the throttle all the way and giving it time to shift into 4x4, it definitely popped harshly into 4wd, thus it had difficulty shifting out. All other issues have been minor trim-related things that I wanted to get fixed under the 3yr initial warranty. I still swear by it.
    And with your commute and towing needs, you seem the ideal candidate. Long highway drives are what these trucks need. Having that kind of commute might eliminate the chance you'll see half of the issues you read about on here. And a tune just seems like a must to keep it running cleaner. I've seen oil of stock trucks vs tuned trucks and turning off EGR has impressive results in keeping the oil cleaner for longer.

Off-topic: does your 05 have the 4.0L V6 or 4.7L V8? And how do you like it? I sold my fast car and missing having a V8 in my spare vehicle. Found out the 4th gen T4R had that V8 and been looking for one ever since. Seemingly bulletproof powertrain in those.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    476 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase90 View Post
    Hello everyone, Newbie here. I'm considering purchasing a used ED in the near-ish future.

For the record, until I did a bunch of research I thought Rams were unreliable garbage trucks. I always loved them after seeing Twister as a kid, but was told to stay away no matter how beautiful they are. I am happy to say after long hours of online researching my views have changed. That and coming from a Ford family and my buddy's 2015 5.0 needing the entire driveline replaced at 60,000 miles...well my world has been flipped upside down quite frankly.

Anywho...

I drive a 2005 Toyota 4Runner. It's been great but it's up in miles and I'm realizing costs to fix are about to exceed it's worth. Plus, current lifestyle I could really use a truck.

So after my research I narrowed it down to the Toyota Tundra and the Ram 1500. I love my current yota, but I also drive about 60 miles a day 80/20 highway/city. So obviously the miles per gallon of the ED really appeals to me, especially compared to the 13 combined of the tundra.

I do tow a little. I have a 19' ski boat I use on weekends in the summer. But I've pulled it with my runner so it cant be more than 5,000lbs. I'm thinking maybe 2,000.

But to the nitty gritty: I remember the ED coming out and all the problems. Obviously we still see them on the road (and you guys like them) so they cant all be bad. I will admit my reservations though. I've always purchased older vehicles with higher mileage for under $15k and over 100k miles. So buying a newer truck with 40-70k miles in the mid to high $20s, I want reliability. But then again who doesn't want reliability.

I do know that getting a tune from a company (I cant recall which at the moment) definitely helps in run cleaner. I had a 2006 powerstroke for a while so I also remember straight piping can help with EGTs. I'm also pretty religious about 5,000 mile oil changes.

So I guess what I'm wanting to ask is, are these Ecodiesel trucks as trustworthy as a Tundra or even the Hemi? Do you guys walk out every morning, keys in hand, and just KNOW it will start with no hiccups? That's how I've felt about my 4Runner and I'm afraid of losing that faith. Especially because Dodge/Ram having a spotty record was engrained into my brain for 28 years.

Thank you everyone and I must now apologize for the lengthy post.
    Based on your write up the ED seems a no brainer over the 13mpg Tundra. Your daily use is diesel friendly...the GDE tune shuts off the EGR. No need to gut exhaust unless DEF/DPF system fails...no gain in straight piping.

The ride and inside fit and finish is excellent. Most issues are electronic not mechanical it seems. There is a bearing issue with the engines but it should have a 100k/5 year power train warranty.

You could average 27-30 hwy depending on variables and only a 5k boat should still see 14-16mpg hwy. The little 3.0 w/ the 8 speed is very stout pulling.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 277k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 183k / 4.300 hrs and counting

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    237 times
    I can tell you, as a former Toyota owner (Camrys and Tacomas) My Dodges have been better vehicles! I drive a lot of miles, my RT Magnum had almost 400,000 miles when I gave it to a friend, still used no oil and was trouble free! My last Ram had 276,000 miles when I traded it for the Ecodiesel. Dealer gave me $10,500 for a 2005 with over a quarter million miles! The only thing I ever had to do to those Dodges, a fuel pump! My Bighorn Ecodiesel if the nicest vehicle that I've ever driven! If you get a used Ecodiesel, I would get the GDE Hot Tune as soon as possible. I think 90% of the problems with Ecodiesels have been related to EPA's idiotic pollution controls. Mine has EGR and DEF deleted, my exhaust tips are shiny as a bottle.. My oil is amber at 10,000 mile changes! Stop reading Consumer Reports, hehe, unless you need a new toaster.
    MR. TED likes this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    954 times
    Be sure to CARFAX it. There have been "some" trucks that have had some sort of persistent problem that necessitated a dealer buy back. DO NOT GET A DEALER BUY BACK. The likelihood is that the problem(s) still exist and will never be sorted.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Mine has the 1GR-FE (4.0L). Even the little 245hp V6 has some decent get up and go. I will tell you that other than the horsepower output and the 4-hi/low shifting mechanism, the driveline of the 4th gen V8 4Runners are basically the same as the Land Cruiser 100, which is legendary in strength. The only thing about the 4.7L is changing the timing belt every 90,000 miles since they are interference motors. I wanted the V8 but couldn't find one locally. They also have supercharger kits that will bump it up to 400+ whp.

How do I like it? I love it. I'm honestly sad that I've reached a point of needing something with a bed because I've had a Jeep Wrangler, Mustang Cobra, Powerstroke Diesel, and this 4Runner is by far my favorite vehicle I've owned. My intention was to keep it until it fell apart when I bought it. But I'm in college and just had a son last year, and I realized I can't afford to miss work or school while repairing it. My dad has a 97 with 350,000 miles on it that he still drives daily, and he said once we get to this point we can expect a $1000 or so yearly in repairs. I will say in the 200,000 miles, all it has needed was basic maintenance and recommended service. I didn't have anything really come up until after 200,000 miles. So if you are thinking about having one as a spare, you really can't go wrong with a V8 4Runner.
    DJL_57 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL_57 View Post
    Welcome.

Off-topic: does your 05 have the 4.0L V6 or 4.7L V8? And how do you like it? I sold my fast car and missing having a V8 in my spare vehicle. Found out the 4th gen T4R had that V8 and been looking for one ever since. Seemingly bulletproof powertrain in those.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I replied to your questions but it didn't quote it like I thought it would. Hit the wrong button.
    DJL_57 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I can tell you, as a former Toyota owner (Camrys and Tacomas) My Dodges have been better vehicles! I drive a lot of miles, my RT Magnum had almost 400,000 miles when I gave it to a friend, still used no oil and was trouble free! My last Ram had 276,000 miles when I traded it for the Ecodiesel. Dealer gave me $10,500 for a 2005 with over a quarter million miles! The only thing I ever had to do to those Dodges, a fuel pump! My Bighorn Ecodiesel if the nicest vehicle that I've ever driven! If you get a used Ecodiesel, I would get the GDE Hot Tune as soon as possible. I think 90% of the problems with Ecodiesels have been related to EPA's idiotic pollution controls. Mine has EGR and DEF deleted, my exhaust tips are shiny as a bottle.. My oil is amber at 10,000 mile changes! Stop reading Consumer Reports, hehe, unless you need a new toaster.
    That's amazing mileage for any vehicle really.

I mean not to defend consumer reports, but they did rank Ram as #2. Which was still better than I thought it would be. They are actually why I decided to really look. My initial list was Tundra, Silverado, Sierra, but CR convinced me to wipe away the GM trucks and replace RAM in the running. I drove a Tundra the other day and it was pretty nice, so now I need to go try a RAM! I will absolutely admit after they updated the body style in 1994, I have loved the look of Rams.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    140 times
    CR has some strong points but most of what I use it for are the actual owner reviews. We didn't look at the Tundra but did look at the Ford and Chevy before we bought our Ram last year. The seat comfort, fit and finish, and ride of the Ram are what really sold us. Having the diesel is the icing on the cake. I'm in a different place in life, so never looked at used.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Are there any years that should be flat-out avoided?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links