What would you choose? - Page 2

What would you choose?

This is a discussion on What would you choose? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Same Emissions, Canadian Trucks That had warranty issues aka buy backs seem to be going to USA auto auctions and then bought by small dealerships ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What would you choose?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2368 times
    Same Emissions, Canadian Trucks That had warranty issues aka buy backs seem to be going to USA auto auctions and then bought by small dealerships then resold to unsuspecting US consumers then find out their trucks where first purchased in Canada, they usually only learn this fact after having issues with their newly purchased vehicle ...FCA will not warranty a truck originally sold in Canada then resold in the USA....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    167 times
    As Docmcg said, go with your head. What do you really need in a pickup? The one thing I would look at is if either one has the built in trailer brake. You may not be planning on towing at this time, but who knows what the future will hold.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    Any vehicle originally sold in Canada and then is re-sold in the States loses it's warranty as soon as it crosses the border. I looked at two really nice EcoD's at local used car lots and both of them were originally sold in Canada. Hated to walk away but I wasn't willing to take a chance on paying for a repair that would otherwise be covered under the manufacturer warranty. The truck I ended up with was in better condition with far more options that either of those anyway and for essentially the same price from a CDJR dealership.

So here's my opinion... Assuming both Rams you're looking at were originally sold in the States and there are no issues showing up on CarFax, I'd take the Laramie all day long. Leather is the easiest seat material to maintain, there are a lot of really useful and, yes, cool features on the Laramie that aren't on the Big Horn, and the mileage difference wouldn't worry me at all. Of course the Laramie has fewer miles left on the warranty but the EcoD settlement will add significant miles to a lot of the engine's components (except for the damn bottom end.) And like DrivingZiggy said above the Laramie grill gives better cooling for towing - and the Laramie probably has the tow package and factory trailer brake controller already installed.

My 2 cents...

Bob
    I like the way you think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2368 times
    Unfortunately the 2017 EcoDiesel isn’t covered by the FCA Emissions violation extended warranty ....
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Unfortunately the 2017 EcoDiesel isn’t covered by the FCA Emissions violation extended warranty ....
    Just the 100k power train?

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6415 times
    With the exception of warranty issues most of the advice you are getting forms on doo dads. Maybe that's what you want instead of a reliable, long-lasting package.? If so, take you pick of the color, chrome, style, radio and other electronics you like. To me all that stuff is near worthless crap. What counts is a well-maintained engine and complete drivetrain.

Assuming you are comfortable with the price, check to see if either have some kind of tune. One way to tell is make a test drive and see if the cruise control will work around 15-20 mph. If it works that low you just found out there is some kind of tune like GDE. With that knowledge comes the fact that the EGR system is clean and the emission systems are operating without those faulty sensor issues.

Check on maintenance records. What was done and when with what. Meaning were the correct oils and parts used at the correct time. Lubing the front wheel bearings may be important. See if there is a record of that being done. it is done through the ABS ports behind the brake discs.

Look hard at the coolant reservoir. It is up to the full line? Is it a uniform color, probably some shade of red or purple. Study out the engine area underneath and look for any leakage. There should be none anywhere.

If all those areas seem fine, then deal with the doo dads. Doesn't matter a bit if you have the neatest radio or screen package with power everything, the right chrome and color with remote gee gaws while broken down.
    JimboAnz likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2311 times
    My 2 cents worth is why is such a new truck at a used car dealer. Was it traded in on a Ram and the dealer knew there were problems with it and didn't want to deal with them or was it traded in at a non Ram dealership. I am always suspicious of relatively new vehicles at used car dealerships. There is a reason they went to the auction.

Get a CARFAx to see what it says if you decide to go with the one at the used car dealer.
    TwoBobs, Captainmal and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Same Emissions, Canadian Trucks That had warranty issues aka buy backs seem to be going to USA auto auctions and then bought by small dealerships then resold to unsuspecting US consumers then find out their trucks where first purchased in Canada, they usually only learn this fact after having issues with their newly purchased vehicle ...FCA will not warranty a truck originally sold in Canada then resold in the USA....
    If the truck was originally sold in Canada, wouldn't it have had a different dash head unit (speedo, odometer)? That should then have to be changed over to US measurements and should be a mileage certificate associated with the change.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    My 2 cents worth is why is such a new truck at a used car dealer. Was it traded in on a Ram and the dealer knew there were problems with it and didn't want to deal with them or was it traded in at a non Ram dealership. I am always suspicious of relatively new vehicles at used car dealerships. There is a reason they went to the auction.

Get a CARFAx to see what it says if you decide to go with the one at the used car dealer.
    I've seen more than a few posts on here saying that owners walked away from these trucks for fear of what might happen. I traded my 03 Avalanche in after about 24 months because I couldn't, or didn't want to, afford to run a tank of gas or more a week through it. That was the first time that gas crossed the $3 per gallon line in NC.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2368 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    If the truck was originally sold in Canada, wouldn't it have had a different dash head unit (speedo, odometer)? That should then have to be changed over to US measurements and should be a mileage certificate associated with the change.
    I believe Our trucks dashboards have everything required for both countries, Just push settings kilometers vs Miles ect ... Now you’ve been your associating our trucks with VW’s quite frequently, like swapping instrument clusters ect also .. I purchased a ALH and read the VW forums frequently also
    bruski54 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links