What would you choose? - Page 3

What would you choose?

This is a discussion on What would you choose? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I purchased a used 2016 about a year ago. my main considerations when searching were 4x4, budget (was looking at 30K max) and motor. lower ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What would you choose?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Quad Cab 4x4
    Liked
    45 times
    I purchased a used 2016 about a year ago. my main considerations when searching were 4x4, budget (was looking at 30K max) and motor. lower miles and documented service history. Everything else was secondary. ended up with a blue quad cab big horn 19500 miles that was optioned out very nicely. trailer brake controller, heated seats and steering wheel. all the buttons I think. I have come to love the heated steering wheel on cold mornings. no more gloves needed on cold mornings. I have been very pleased with the truck, great daily driver. loves the highway. take a look at (mentioned above) coolant overflow reservoir. The level should be above the seam at the full line. good luck in your hunt !
    IG: JimboAnz / YouTube: JimboAnz

Babe the Big Blue Ox Build Page - https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...uild-page.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    I believe Our trucks dashboards have everything required for both countries, Just push settings kilometers vs Miles ect ... Now you’ve been your associating our trucks with VW’s quite frequently, like swapping instrument clusters ect also .. I purchased a ALH and read the VW forums frequently also
    Can't blame me too much for that. 19 years of driving VW diesels and 1 year of driving FCA diesels. If you're not already on Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community, come check it out.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    If the truck was originally sold in Canada, wouldn't it have had a different dash head unit (speedo, odometer)? That should then have to be changed over to US measurements and should be a mileage certificate associated with the change.
    It would have the same "dash head unit" (as you call it.) Switching from Miles to Kilometers is done in the ECU by the dealer or someone with a code reader device. Only the analog speedometer in the dash would be different, but there's always the Speed readout in the dash electronics to cover that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I bought my '16 ED Bighorn with just under 38,000 on it. It has the tow package (mirrors/hitch/brake controller, etc.), heated cloth seats, 8.4 Connect (I.E. large screen with all the bells/whistles), I haven't GDE tuned it nor do I know if it was done. I've towed a lot with it as I used it in my Snacks Distribution business to tow a double axle 20' enclosed trailer. So far, so good. My only concern is that the driver's seat cloth is showing wear in the form of the fabric fuzzing near the inside front part of the seat. With that in mind, you may wish to think harder on the leather seats or plan on eventually buying seat covers. I now have nearly 76000 on the odometer. I agree with previous posts telling you to make sure you look at the service records and a Carfax (or similar report) on each vehicle. And, lastly, you absolutely need to drive each vehicle on as varied a route as you can put together around each dealer.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Wouldn't be concerned about the low mileage, lots of ED were returned/traded in due to the EPA lawsuit. Purchased my 2015 in 2017 with less than 25k miles.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Big Horn ED
    Liked
    43 times
    Buy a new 2018, still ECO's new on lots with HUGE discounts. +15K discounts (here in south Florida)
    HYDREX likes this.
    Current Ram:
    2018 (White) EcoDiesel, Big Horn, 4x2, Quad Cab, 6'4" Bed, GDE Tune @1247 Miles

Previous Rams:
    2002 (Blue) 3.6L V6, 4x2, 8' bed, Regular Cab, 120k miles (loved this truck)
    2013 (White) 3.6L V6, 4x4, 8' bed, Regular Cab, Tradesman (Cracked Oil Filter Housing, no oil, dealer said no engine damage, traded for 2015)
    2015 (Black) 3.0L V6, 4x4 EcoDiesel, 6'4" Bed, Quad Cab, Big Horn, 69k Miles, (loved this truck too)

Profile Photo-2015 Black and 2018 White on day of trade.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Diese;
    Liked
    18 times
    Ijsut sold my 2002 Ram 2500 Diesel and went looking for a truck - I found a 2015 Ram 1500 eco-diesel Laramie with every bell & whistle that I could think of and some I could not. I like it-
    leather - heated and cooled seats - big screen back camera.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    My 2 cents worth is why is such a new truck at a used car dealer. Was it traded in on a Ram and the dealer knew there were problems with it and didn't want to deal with them or was it traded in at a non Ram dealership. I am always suspicious of relatively new vehicles at used car dealerships. There is a reason they went to the auction.
    2 and 3 year leases remain very popular and do explain a good number of such trade-ins. You can usually see that in the CarFax report.

I would also make note of where it was purchased originally...always good to know.

My .02 cents...don't forget that there will come a day to sell or trade this vehicle...and a Laramie will always hold a bit more value than a Big Horn. For the money I'd go Laramie all day long.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links