What would you choose?

What would you choose?

This is a discussion on What would you choose? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey all. After everyone's input about the EcoDiesel, I am really liking the idea. I found two relatively close to me that I like and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What would you choose?

  1. #1
    RAM Rookie Chase90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19
    Member #
    39976
    Liked
    4 times

    What would you choose?

    Hey all. After everyone's input about the EcoDiesel, I am really liking the idea. I found two relatively close to me that I like and am interested in what you guys would pick.

    First is a 2017 Laramie 4x4 with 45,325 on the clock.
    Second is a 2016 Big Horn 4x4 with 29,998 on it.

    They are both close in price, with the Big Horn being a couple hundred dollars more. Big Horn is for sale down the street at a RAM dealer and the Laramie is 30 miles away at a used car lot.

    Things I like about each:
    2017 Laramie has a nicer looking exterior imho. The wheels are nicer and although I am not huge on chrome, I feel like the chrome accents on it don't clash like the black does with the chrome on the BH. Also has heated/cooled leather and navigation and appears to have a bed cover.

    2016 BH obviously has lower mileage and being local and an actual RAM dealership I might be able to talk them into putting a Line-X in it before all is said and done. It has the brown interior which I think is unique because it'e really not prevalent in vehicles of the 2000s. It's cloth, but it's a bench seat which weirdly I like. My first vehicle was a F150 with a bench seat and I've always loved that aspect of trucks.

    I will say that after being spoken so highly of on this forum, a GDE tune will be ordered same ASAP either way. One thing that does concern me about the Big Horn is the low mileage. If it was a 2016 model purchased in 2015, that's less than 10,000/year, and I know thanks to this forum that putting miles on these trucks is important.

    So, what would you do?

    Off topic, but if weekday driving was 90% highway and then weekend driving might be around town a bit, will that be really bad for the ED?

  2. #2
    RAM Ninja DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Posts
    2,121
    Member #
    1513
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    My thoughts: The Laramie is a much more expensive package than the Big Horn, so the price should reflect that even with the mileage difference. So you're not really comparing the same trucks to each other.

    Therefore, I would think about the following: Do I need leather? What about that Alpine stereo with the sub woofer under the back seat? Memory seat? Nicer instrument panel? Keyless/remote start (if applicable)? Am I going to be towing a lot? Because the Laramie has better cooling through the grill.

    Then some other exterior things besides the wheels: Is either one of them a long bed? You can spot this by looking at the area between the cab and the rear wheel. Long bed has more distance in that area. What about RamBoxes?

    Be sure that it has the hitch and everything already set up. Because you never know! Preferably also with the trailer brake adjustment already installed.

    And be sure to CarFax! The low mileage could be because of problems--or it could be because the previous owner(s) didn't drive much. But you don't want to buy a dealer buy-back. They buy them back when they can't locate a problem.

    I'm sure that others will be chiming in with other things to consider.

  3. #3
    RAM Rookie Chase90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19
    Member #
    39976
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    My thoughts: The Laramie is a much more expensive package than the Big Horn, so the price should reflect that even with the mileage difference. So you're not really comparing the same trucks to each other.

    Therefore, I would think about the following: Do I need leather? What about that Alpine stereo with the sub woofer under the back seat? Memory seat? Nicer instrument panel? Keyless/remote start (if applicable)? Am I going to be towing a lot? Because the Laramie has better cooling through the grill.

    Then some other exterior things besides the wheels: Is either one of them a long bed? You can spot this by looking at the area between the cab and the rear wheel. Long bed has more distance in that area. What about RamBoxes?

    Be sure that it has the hitch and everything already set up. Because you never know! Preferably also with the trailer brake adjustment already installed.

    And be sure to CarFax! The low mileage could be because of problems--or it could be because the previous owner(s) didn't drive much. But you don't want to buy a dealer buy-back. They buy them back when they can't locate a problem.

    I'm sure that others will be chiming in with other things to consider.
    These are all good considerations. I don't necessarily need the leather/sub/memory but the other points (including the better cooling) would be nice. Neither of them have RamBoxes or long beds.

    I do know the Laramie is a much nicer package. I think my intent with the question was really based in: is it worth going with the lower mileage model, because if the owner didn't drive it much (or only did short trips) wouldn't that be inherently worse than one with 15000 more miles? I hadn't even considered a dealer buy back. I will say the dealership wasn't even opened until 2018 so I feel like the 2016 being a buyback is unlikely, unless the owners can take them to any RAM dealership.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    RAM Sr Member Docmcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    234
    Member #
    5669
    Vehicle
    '15 Laramie Ecodiesel
    Liked
    140 times
    When people ask me about a vehicle purchase I always tell them, “buy with your head and not your heart”. Buy what you need first and then what you want or can afford. No buyer remorse.
    Captainmal likes this.

  6. #5
    MAS
    MAS is offline
    RAM Bronze Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,482
    Member #
    8120
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1451 times
    Hehe its not one of your options, but you asked... what would we do.

    I wouldn't buy an ecodiesel. Im invested in mine and I like it; however, if I didn't own it and I was in the market for one or a comparable vehicle I would wait for the GM to come out if it ever does, I think theirs will be more to my liking and better all the way around. I would prefer the leaf springs, they haven't had mass failure(yet), and I believe they have a better emissions/egr/dpf strategy.
    redsunBC likes this.

  7. #6
    RAM Sr Member idoseadoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    171
    Member #
    35862
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500, Lexus NX hybrid, Mopeds, boats, jet skis
    Liked
    28 times
    I recently bought an SLT, which is one tier lower than the big horn, and I am very sorry I did so. I have the tiny 4" radio display, which does not even get HD stations. I'm missing out on MOST of the good music here in south florida because of this. Also, I don't have rear camera or keyless start, or push start. I have a rather large keyring, so not having to dig your keys out of your pocket for me is a big plus. The Laramie typically comes with all that. Some models even come with Air Ride suspension, which I hear is an improvement over the ordinary shocks. Gives a better ride, and you can raise/lower at will. It even drops down on the hwy to give you better mpg. I saved $4k by choosing the SLT and could not be sorrier. I value all the bells and whistles and wish I could go back and make the right choice. The Laramie is how this truck should be IMO.
    roegs likes this.

  8. #7
    RAM Bronze Member Haul N Grass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Sebring Fl
    Posts
    3,137
    Member #
    3788
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2375 times
    Chase 90 .... Make sure neither truck is a Canadian truck, because you get. No warranty.....

    idoseasoo.... Upgrading your 4” radio to a 8.4 screen is very easy ,I believe Around 1500.00 ...I just upgraded my 8.4 Harmon to a Panasonic 8.4 with Apple CarPlay radio ..Mine cost 850.00 everything was plug and play....
    TwoBobs likes this.

  9. #8
    RAM Rookie Chase90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19
    Member #
    39976
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Hehe its not one of your options, but you asked... what would we do.

    I wouldn't buy an ecodiesel. Im invested in mine and I like it; however, if I didn't own it and I was in the market for one or a comparable vehicle I would wait for the GM to come out if it ever does, I think theirs will be more to my liking and better all the way around. I would prefer the leaf springs, they haven't had mass failure(yet), and I believe they have a better emissions/egr/dpf strategy.
    If they would have had a diesel in the 2014-2018 Silverados, I would definitely consider it. My thing is likability and affordability. I really am not a fan of the redesigned Silverado or Sierra personally. I have always like the Dodge Ram then RAM ever since I was 5 and watched [I]Twister[I]. The affordability part, I have acquired a collective of cars over the years and recently got back into fishing, re enrolled in college, and had my first child. I had been really looking at a D-Max Canyon but, in my 4Runner to have his car seat in the passenger seat needs to be pushed almost all the way forward. My wife has long legs and most of my passengers other than her are well over 6' so It would seem the baby Duramax (VM Motori) wouldn't be great. The RAM also had better crash test ratings than most pickups so that is one big reason I like the idea of it. I usually drive 50 miles a day, sometimes 70 other than weekends which in the summer I will be pulling a boat most weekends. That's why I've really gone towards the RAM EcoD.

    You want to see a cool Silverado though, check out the 2014-2018 retro Big10.

  10. #9
    RAM Rookie Chase90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    19
    Member #
    39976
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Chase 90 .... Make sure neither truck is a Canadian truck, because you get. No warranty.....

    idoseasoo.... Upgrading your 4” radio to a 8.4 screen is very easy ,I believe Around 1500.00 ...I just upgraded my 8.4 Harmon to a Panasonic 8.4 with Apple CarPlay radio ..Mine cost 850.00 everything was plug and play....
    What's the deal with Canada? different emissions?

  11. #10
    RAM Regular TwoBobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    358
    Member #
    32921
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase90 View Post
    What's the deal with Canada? different emissions?
    Any vehicle originally sold in Canada and then is re-sold in the States loses it's warranty as soon as it crosses the border. I looked at two really nice EcoD's at local used car lots and both of them were originally sold in Canada. Hated to walk away but I wasn't willing to take a chance on paying for a repair that would otherwise be covered under the manufacturer warranty. The truck I ended up with was in better condition with far more options that either of those anyway and for essentially the same price from a CDJR dealership.

    So here's my opinion... Assuming both Rams you're looking at were originally sold in the States and there are no issues showing up on CarFax, I'd take the Laramie all day long. Leather is the easiest seat material to maintain, there are a lot of really useful and, yes, cool features on the Laramie that aren't on the Big Horn, and the mileage difference wouldn't worry me at all. Of course the Laramie has fewer miles left on the warranty but the EcoD settlement will add significant miles to a lot of the engine's components (except for the damn bottom end.) And like DrivingZiggy said above the Laramie grill gives better cooling for towing - and the Laramie probably has the tow package and factory trailer brake controller already installed.

    My 2 cents...

    Bob
    Haul N Grass and Chase90 like this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Who's got a topper & why'd u choose it?
    By CB919 in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2018, 01:43 AM
  2. GVWR limiting what options I can choose? Can anyone help?
    By Iwantmyram in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-12-2017, 11:54 AM
  3. How to choose the right pickup
    By Yates in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM
  4. Choose your dealer carefully
    By Anomaly in forum Off Topic Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM
  5. Why did you choose to purchase a Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel?
    By martsem in forum Introductions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 05:15 PM