Changes to special orders - Page 4

Changes to special orders

This is a discussion on Changes to special orders within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by Captainmal Talking with two brother-in-laws and a stepson on Mothers' Day. All had pickups. None of them had a clue about what ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Changes to special orders

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Talking with two brother-in-laws and a stepson on Mothers' Day. All had pickups. None of them had a clue about what engine they had in their pickups. I mean no clue. Two were not sure how many cylinders their engine had. The one with the Cummins thought his was a 6 cylinder. "Thought".

Soon the conversation soon degenerated to brand and color. Women are not the only ones with skewed priorities. None of this says anything about mental prowess with mechanical things. Yet, many value their opinions even after they prove they know squat.
    OK, Cap I'll offer a different view of your point. I am very much like those you are describing when it comes to what processor and how much memory is in my computer. I don't give a damn and have no interest in knowing. I just want it to work like a Crescent Wrench or a Vise Grip. I have a very good friend who lives and breathes that stuff even though he is a chemical engineer. ANyhow, I know you are multitalented but bet there are significant things you know little about and don't care. You just want them to work and have someone you trust to give you guidance on those items.

All the best,

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    OK, Cap I'll offer a different view of your point. I am very much like those you are describing when it comes to what processor and how much memory is in my computer. I don't give a damn and have no interest in knowing. I just want it to work like a Crescent Wrench or a Vise Grip. I have a very good friend who lives and breathes that stuff even though he is a chemical engineer. ANyhow, I know you are multitalented but bet there are significant things you know little about and don't care. You just want them to work and have someone you trust to give you guidance on those items.

All the best,
    Agree I learn from others, accept their guidance and want things to work. Do know that crescent wrenches and vice grips damage fasteners. Best to use a proper Snap On or MAC tool for the job. Gave up on Microsoft computers long ago. Too many failures. iMac, iPhone and iPad is all anyone needs to know. They work. Now for the vehicles.

There have been many offerings available with questionable design. Sure the Yugo stands out for both design and quality control. Many vehicles with parts sourced in Asia have significant design issues with parts that affect reliability due to poor quality. Some American and European vehicles also come to mind as being unreliable. I think it is good to know what works and what does not work. Then you can wade through the offerings and pick the best available.

Now all this is important if you are on a budget with limited funds. For those that are "flush", it matters little. Their choices are an economic bonus to many, a bonus I cannot afford to pay. That's why I research and use products that have a reputation for reliability or modify those that don't so maybe they will be more reliable ( GDE for example with the Ecodiesel). Can't afford to flush money into the toilet because my vehicle has bad fuel mileage. Good reason to stay away from many Ford pickups, if you could afford to buy one in the first place.

Two of those people have Ford pickups. Both struggle to give a report about their fuel mileage as they are "challenged" to even know how to calculate it. Both have very expensive F150's from a 2015- 2016 vintage. Neither has over 20K on them either. Both spend a lot of their time watching sitcoms and other prattle on televisions. Neither have any hobbies or a life other than the house and TV. To me they are both dead in the head and the walking dead wrapped up in one.

Now the Cummins guy is a hard working, hard drinking, hard gambling man who uses his truck as a daily worker hauling his porch-screen trailer. He has paid thousands of dollars to have various maladies repaired on his 2014 Cummins. Often I think he works and makes good money to pay it to others. Such is the mentality of the three I know who know little about their vehicles. You be the judge.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4x2 quad
    Liked
    13 times
    Some years ago, back in the days of the ole ugly truck, M body Driplomats, etc... I would sell large fleets to commercial entities and state agencies... you were correct, punch in an order, and if there was a change that needed to be made, you had to be quick before it hit C or D1, or gate line status... other wise, you had to make a call, and pray, last choice, Cancel and start over... under the ole Chrysler, the guys in the glass house were quite accommodating... but here again, it is 2019 not 1994, and business and dealer/ manufacturers relations are much different today than yesterday... ordering fleet is a bit different than the retail order process... today, a sales person can order anything from their desk... years ago, make out a form, check and recheck, then get on the pc and satellite and beam it up scotty...
    boocoodinkydow likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    So I am wanting a 2020 PEntastar too. I would very much appreciate your comments on how it performs and the mileage you get once you get the new one, whatever color it is. I decided to wait for the 2020 in hopes I can get a Longhorn, 6'4" box and airsuspension. I cannot do that with a Longhorn but can with a Limited. No idea why. ALso, perhaps they will have a Rambox on the 6'4" bed next year.

I am also curious what rear end ratio you ordered. Ihave been thinking 3.55 but the 3.92 with the electronic locker seems like a nice feature and is actually cheaper than a limited slip differential and upgrade to 3.55 from the std 3.22. 3.22 seems very high speed for that engine to me.

I sure wish some magazine or blog would do some real world test on identical trucks except for rear end ratio and do some acceleration, towing and economy tests. Even the dealers don't have much guidance on it. Seems like most choices are based upon anything but good technical information.

I have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica and I really like the PEntastar, smooth, quiet and plenty of power.
    Well howie, picked up the new truck today. Limited 4x4 long bed with Pentastar. Love the truck but all the gizmos on the dash are more distracting than a pole dancer at a business meeting. Gonna be a lot to get used to.

The trip home was about 70 miles of light roller coaster type hills. I set the cruise on 70mph. I found that even the slightest incline called for a downshift and ran into some moderate (for our area) hills that brought it down to 4th gear a time or two. The radical downshift was was short in duration and primarily due to an overly aggressive cruise control. Revs sometimes hit 4000 rpmís at which point the engine noise was very annoying! Probably would be better managed without cruise but Iím not willing to make that sacrifice.

I opted for the smaller engine primarily for economy but Iím not so sure thatís going to be the case. 18.5 mpg was all it could muster for the trip according to onboard computer. Hopefully itís gonna do better as it loosens up.

Not impressed with the etorque option either. At a stop it only kills the engine for about 30 seconds and the a/c is retarded to the point it almost becomes suffocating! Of course itís hot as hell down here and may do better in more moderate temps. The one advantage I do recognize is the braking assist offered by the regenerative system makes for a very positive stopping experience.

If youíre planning on hauling anything heavier than a fat mother in law, get 3.92ís or go with the Hemi!
    Captainmal and sourdo like this.
    I still love my truck but incrementally less each time it throws a CEL!!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boocoodinkydow View Post
    Well howie, picked up the new truck today. Limited 4x4 long bed with Pentastar. Love the truck but all the gizmos on the dash are more distracting than a pole dancer at a business meeting. Gonna be a lot to get used to.

The trip home was about 70 miles of light roller coaster type hills. I set the cruise on 70mph. I found that even the slightest incline called for a downshift and ran into some moderate (for our area) hills that brought it down to 4th gear a time or two. The radical downshift was was short in duration and primarily due to an overly aggressive cruise control. Revs sometimes hit 4000 rpm’s at which point the engine noise was very annoying! Probably would be better managed without cruise but I’m not willing to make that sacrifice.

I opted for the smaller engine primarily for economy but I’m not so sure that’s going to be the case. 18.5 mpg was all it could muster for the trip according to onboard computer. Hopefully it’s gonna do better as it loosens up.

Not impressed with the etorque option either. At a stop it only kills the engine for about 30 seconds and the a/c is retarded to the point it almost becomes suffocating! Of course it’s hot as hell down here and may do better in more moderate temps. The one advantage I do recognize is the braking assist offered by the regenerative system makes for a very positive stopping experience.

If you’re planning on hauling anything heavier than a fat mother in law, get 3.92’s or go with the Hemi!
    Very useful information. Most of my everyday driving is in the 50-60 mph range unless I take a trip. When you get a chance note the engine rpms at 60 mph in 8th gear if you can. Thanks for the report and hope you can do another short one in a few weeks.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    At 70 it was doing about 1800. At 60 about 1600 I think and held 8th gear much better. At 40 it held 7th on level terrain very well and showing some exemplary mpg’s. At 35 it dumped to 6th and held steady. At speeds of 60 and below I think it would perform much better and probably reap some impressive mpg’s.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6377 times
    We always say that you need a picture or it's not really happening. Hope you get satisfaction from the Pentastar. That sure is an informative posting on your initial impressions. Now let's get to the important things.

Where's the picture of the pole dancer at the business meeting?
    boocoodinkydow and blastco2 like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Changes to special orders-cfd71683-5d4a-4cc5-99e9-4b634f2df7c9.jpegChanges to special orders-45d2e5f0-d7b2-4d2e-b852-9e73920c1751.jpeg

Sorry, I married the pole dancer and she destroyed all the evidence of her previous profession so no pix available.
    Kazimodo and sourdo like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links