Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM? - Page 6

Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM?

This is a discussion on Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by MAS How much you put into it? Sounds more like someone gave it away unless your restored it. It is a low ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM?

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    How much you put into it? Sounds more like someone gave it away unless your restored it.

It is a low mileage original. It is a four door granny car with a 200 6 cyl. Not a high dollar collectible. But, if it were a 2 door hardtop it would be worth much more.

Over the time I have owned it I have installed Pertronix ignition and rebuilt the carb. Also had to replace a wheel cylinder when I first bought it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 1500 ED - Laramie '14 R1200GS - dirty, muddy, occasionally dropped...being used as intended!
    Liked
    177 times

Quote Originally Posted by HollyWoodGriz View Post
    I would be curious to hear forum member thoughts about your truck's value after the AEM. Things to consider, the universal feedback is that the AEM turns our rigs in to gutless wonders. At this point, it seems that there are three options:

1: Keep your truck and live with it....Pray you don't get smashed pulling into traffic

2: Keep your truck and let the Saint's at GDE work their magic

3: Unload it before the value really tanks as word gets out

My guess, is that stealerships will offer bottom dollar claiming the value is lower because of the lack of power. As a consumer, if I was researching these trucks I would not purchase one due to the de-tuning that has clearly occurred with the AEM flash. One final question, how many of you are planning to unload your rig after you get your AEM check? I plan to unload it as soon I get paid by FCA. My truck is paid off and I would like to salvage the equity towards a new purchase before the value crashes...just my speculation/thoughts.
    This truck is like my dual sport bikes - they don't excel on the street or the dirt, but they do well enough given most situations.

I've been debating on getting the payment selling the truck and getting into a new to me 2014+ E63 AMG wagon. Then I come to my senses and realize, like you, my vehicle is (long) paid off and getting into another payment cycle with an item that is guaranteed to depreciate isn't attractive at all. Flash, payment, GDE retune and keep plugging away to the 300k I originally intended to drive this thing till.

Unless it dies and will cost an arm and leg to fix. Then I get that AMG wagon and never look back.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Longhorn 4x4 LB Crew Ecodiesel
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post

Unless it dies and will cost an arm and leg to fix. Then I get that AMG wagon and never look back.
    YIKES, you want to talk about REPAIR costs then the AMG (stands for "All Money Gone") will make replacing the engine in your Ram during every oil change seem like a bargain.
    MR. TED likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

ITM
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, 2005 F250 SD 4x4
    Liked
    2 times
    I've not decided yet. Had my AEM a couple weeks ago an sent in my claim yesterday. Have about 1K miles since AEM and notice different transmission shift points and lack of acceleration power from before. So far combined MPG hwy and city is running around 23. 105K on my 2015. Has been a good truck so far....but...we will see.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED 4x4

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2409 times
    https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/seven-...0Sport,PAV%201 I believe articles like this and the EcoDiesel engines high failure rates has much more to do with EcoDiesel resale values than any required EPA flash could ever do ...

The article’s link will not work for some reason anyhow the EcoDiesel’s engine has elevated itself to one of the top 7 engines to avoid like the plague .... Look around you’ll find it ...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    [QUOTE=RossCountyRam;970958]I dunno, they basically reimbursed you the cost of the diesel option with the $3k check, what else do y’all want?

Not true. The $3K was for the engine option yes but what about the degradation in performance, efficiency, and value as a whole? This is why I’m not accepting the class action settlement and have opted out. It’ll need to be substantially more and it will be. The reason for the larger incentives was to release the new ram design vs the classic to keep up with the Chevy’s new styling. They have kept the classic but that’s the only area where you’ll see the substantial savings and discounts.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    77 times
    Just sold mine. In the end resale wasn't terrible but not impressive either. I would not say that value tanked. The truck performance was fantastic but the execution of the truck, technical service knowledge base and long term reliability concerns made the ownership experience sub-par.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Diese;
    Liked
    16 times
    Just had the AEM tune about a month ago - truck runs the same as before - I don't expect that my truck will drop heavily in value - it is a quality truck and is in excellent shape - since I don't go mud bogging or tearing
    crappy roads with it It will last a long time. My previous truck was a 2002 Ram 2500 SLT Diesel. When I sold it after owning it for 17 years - i got $ 19,000 for it. I would not get rid of my truck because of the AEM-

The bottom line as I see it - take good care of your truck - don't hot rod it- go mud bogging or tearing up goat trails . Of course I''m old and not into doing stupid stuff with my vehicles -
    MR. TED, MAS and Dieselfever like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 eco outdoorsman, 82D150 custom
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Yet another 'sky is falling' post to spread fear.

Instead of fear-mongering with nothing more than a hunch, why not come here with some real appraisal values before and after the AEM? Some market research perhaps?
    I have the AEM tune. The truck has been stock from day one. Except a K&N filter in stock box, intake muffler deleted. I haven't had any issues with the tune it's self. It did mess with the SCR systems but that was fixed. And yes there's a delay when it's cold but much like a bigger truck. Give yourself some room and roll into the throttle. It's not as bad as they say. As for values I haven't seen anything that sedan there going to tank any worse then the hemi counterparts. Really like anything else. It's milage, trim and how you used it and take care of it. I haven't found any of them for sale around me that cost less then when of bought mine. The only way I've seen them less then 20k is if they had more then 200,000 miles. And I've found a few of them. So my opinion she's a keeper, no I don't think the tune hurts values. Hell the VW tdi''s that they sed could not be sold are coming back on the market. And there selling rather well. They had an entire row of them at auctions. And on used car lots. Now they have all of the paperwork for reflash. So you will have to eventually have it done or the truck will have no value.
    Ecodisel, drinks Satin's bathwater and emits angel's tears.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links