Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM?

This is a discussion on Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I would be curious to hear forum member thoughts about your truck's value after the AEM. Things to consider, the universal feedback is that the ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Vehicle Value Tanking After AEM?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times

I would be curious to hear forum member thoughts about your truck's value after the AEM. Things to consider, the universal feedback is that the AEM turns our rigs in to gutless wonders. At this point, it seems that there are three options:

1: Keep your truck and live with it....Pray you don't get smashed pulling into traffic

2: Keep your truck and let the Saint's at GDE work their magic

3: Unload it before the value really tanks as word gets out

My guess, is that stealerships will offer bottom dollar claiming the value is lower because of the lack of power. As a consumer, if I was researching these trucks I would not purchase one due to the de-tuning that has clearly occurred with the AEM flash. One final question, how many of you are planning to unload your rig after you get your AEM check? I plan to unload it as soon I get paid by FCA. My truck is paid off and I would like to salvage the equity towards a new purchase before the value crashes...just my speculation/thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    Hi: HollyWoodGriz... I'm keeping it. "Love the one you're with"!!! 4 more years of "Payola"... but I'm in no hurry to "Flash" my EcoD either.
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
    HollyWoodGriz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    513 times
    The only thing hurting the ED's value is time and depreciation. Tuned GDE trucks will sell better.
    MR. TED likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    349 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyWoodGriz View Post
    Things to consider, the universal feedback is that the AEM turns our rigs in to gutless wonders.
    I think it's a bit premature to say AEM turns the vehicle into a "gutless wonder". There are not many reports yet. And there are some that say there's no change.

In any event, I will keep my truck and after the AEM update put my GDE tuned ECM back in play. I'm more than pleased with all aspects of my truck. I should add I have invested a considerable sum in aftermarket add-ons and mods that influence my decision to keep it.

I do suspect the AEM update may eventually prove to result in a power reduction, a mpg reduction and an overall dissatisfaction.
    Time will tell.
    Last edited by John Jensen; 05-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    MR. TED and MAS like this.
    2016, Ram 1500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4x4, EcoDiesel, 3.55 Axle, Leer 100XR Shell on 5.7 bed
    2006, Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.0 Diesel, 3.73 Axle, Leer 180 Shell on 8' bed
    2005, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4x4, 4.0 Inline 6, Rock Crawler
    ARCHOIL 9100 & 6200 and PRI-D & PRI-G Dealer

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    565 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyWoodGriz View Post
    I would be curious to hear forum member thoughts about your truck's value after the AEM. Things to consider, the universal feedback is that the AEM turns our rigs in to gutless wonders. At this point, it seems that there are three options:

1: Keep your truck and live with it....Pray you don't get smashed pulling into traffic

2: Keep your truck and let the Saint's at GDE work their magic

3: Unload it before the value really tanks as word gets out

My guess, is that stealerships will offer bottom dollar claiming the value is lower because of the lack of power. As a consumer, if I was researching these trucks I would not purchase one due to the de-tuning that has clearly occurred with the AEM flash. One final question, how many of you are planning to unload your rig after you get your AEM check? I plan to unload it as soon I get paid by FCA. My truck is paid off and I would like to salvage the equity towards a new purchase before the value crashes...just my speculation/thoughts.
    What would make a truck value tank when some will have a 10 year transferable extensive warranty? Mine will have 4/48k after flash and could be warrantied up till 250k?
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 193 miles / 4,675 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1492 times
    Just running rough numbers, but my ecodiesel has lost a much larger % of the original purchase price in depreciation than my 2011 1500 z71 or 2010 cummins did.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1585 times
    Yet another 'sky is falling' post to spread fear.

Instead of fear-mongering with nothing more than a hunch, why not come here with some real appraisal values before and after the AEM? Some market research perhaps?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Yet another 'sky is falling' post to spread fear.

Instead of fear-mongering with nothing more than a hunch, why not come here with some real appraisal values before and after the AEM? Some market research perhaps?
    You will never have data worth a plug nickle till you sell your ecodiesel.

2011 Chevy 1500 z71 sold with 53,000 miles on it and 3 years old. I sold it for 14% less than I paid for it.

2010 RAM 3500 SRW sold with appx. 30,000 miles on it 2.5 years old. I sold it for 10% less than I paid for it.

My Current ecodiesel just over 3 years old and just under 67k miles books for about 40% less than I paid for it.

I love this truck, but this is not fear mongering and its not sky is falling, its the truth. I'd consider it loosing my AZZ if I were to sell my truck for what it books for, and no none of the value websites are worth a carp until you find a buyer and sell it, but judjing by the massive discounts they were giving on the later models I see no reason at all to believe that ill get more than what its booking for. I plan to drive mine a lot longer because I can take the pay out and put a new motor in it out of pocket and still be out about what I would be if I sold it running... which does suck as far as holding its value goes.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1075 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    You will never have data worth a plug nickle till you sell your ecodiesel.

2011 Chevy 1500 z71 sold with 53,000 miles on it and 3 years old. I sold it for 14% less than I paid for it.

2010 RAM 3500 SRW sold with appx. 30,000 miles on it 2.5 years old. I sold it for 10% less than I paid for it.

My Current ecodiesel just over 3 years old and just under 67k miles books for about 40% less than I paid for it.

I love this truck, but this is not fear mongering and its not sky is falling, its the truth. I'd consider it loosing my AZZ if I were to sell my truck for what it books for, and no none of the value websites are worth a carp until you find a buyer and sell it, but judjing by the massive discounts they were giving on the later models I see no reason at all to believe that ill get more than what its booking for. I plan to drive mine a lot longer because I can take the pay out and put a new motor in it out of pocket and still be out about what I would be if I sold it running... which does suck as far as holding its value goes.
    These comparisons are dubious at best...

First, that 3500 Cummins hd truck is barely used. HD trucks lightly used do not depreciate that much. Huge demand for them from contractors etc...

The closest you have is your 2011 Chevy. Still it's dubious for a number of reasons...

First, you may have gotten a great deal on the Chevy.

Second you may have gotten a crap deal on the eco.

Third... Combine both 1 and 2.

Fourth, how are you valuing your eco? Has any cash traded hands or are you going on dealer trade in? I was offered 24k on a 48k truck 1 yr after I bought it. That's laughable and inaccurate. I see used ecos going for decent amounts.

Fifth, you can always find a sucker. I would never offer that much for a used Chevy 1500... Ever.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1075 times
    Plus, I find the kbb or black book values on the eco are problematic. There are not a lot of them out there and they often are valued similarly to the gas trucks, which there are a ton of.

In addition, Chrysler is running monstruous incentives on new ones. This hurts resale. So it is not the truck itself that could be causing a depression in resale value.
    MR. TED and Point452 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links