Is this 2018 ED the Right Tool for the Job? - Page 3

Is this 2018 ED the Right Tool for the Job?

This is a discussion on Is this 2018 ED the Right Tool for the Job? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by namretsud Just a thought for you in regards to you adding a generator to the mix. If you make a platform on ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is this 2018 ED the Right Tool for the Job?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 RAM 1500 Lone Star CC
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by namretsud View Post
    Just a thought for you in regards to you adding a generator to the mix. If you make a platform on the bumper of the trailer, the generator is no longer part of the Payload. Utilizing payload is all about the art of shifting weight of what you take, when pulling the TT and loading more to the trailer where possible.
    Securing a generator on the rear of our rig might be a good thought with a different travel trailer, but unfortunately for lots of reasons that is not an option with ours. A fellow Canadian of yours up in "Southern Ontario" per his profile on RV.net has the same rig as ours - but a year older - and I've leveraged off some of his wisdom and experience revolving around the same question. So we will just anchor that genny down in the bed of the Ecodiesel.

It just dawned on me . . . are bed tie downs standard in RAM trucks? I've taken that for granted since I've got them in our Ridgeline, and it occurred to me that I did not even check the truck we are focusing on.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    The 1100 vs 1300 could be based on 3.55 v 3.92??? Also I replaced bumpstops in rear and have Timbren Springs. Personally understand tongue weight however would not get to hung up on that given your weight overall. The overall increase in MPG alone combined with a 700 mile unloaded range on the HWY is superior. I have a 2016 LH and the amenities is worth the upgrade IMO.

Thought the RL was unibody and not on a frame? That alone would rule out another RL for me if so.

Great info here and good luck w/ your final decision.
    SO I just ran across a 2018 that has 3.21 gears.

NOW, what are we talking about in terms of towing our travel trailer (~4,700 lbs as described in my original post in this thread). I would think even better mpgs, but at what penalty in ability to tow this trailer?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    SO I just ran across a 2018 that has 3.21 gears.

NOW, what are we talking about in terms of towing our travel trailer (~4,700 lbs as described in my original post in this thread). I would think even better mpgs, but at what penalty in ability to tow this trailer?
    IDK what towing penalty and 3.21 is new to me in an ED however my 3.55 will downshift 8-7 on certain high bridges and rolling hills in the FL panhandle. It is annoying to me so my next ED would be 3.92.

It is my understanding the diff in MPG is 1 between a 3.55 & 3.92. If a 3.21 then maybe 1 better than 3.55? The bed has 4 factory d-rings.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 282k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 191k / 4,550 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shawclan5 View Post
    IDK what towing penalty and 3.21 is new to me in an ED however my 3.55 will downshift 8-7 on certain high bridges and rolling hills in the FL panhandle. It is annoying to me so my next ED would be 3.92.

It is my understanding the diff in MPG is 1 between a 3.55 & 3.92. If a 3.21 then maybe 1 better than 3.55? The bed has 4 factory d-rings.
    Thanks. Was just getting ready to check the RAM towing chart . . . and saw your post. I'll run this thinking through that grid. And thanks for the confirmation on the tie-downs. I'd forgotten to verify that on the trucks we've examined. I often use ours on our Ridgeline and those needs will not go away.

Have driven I-10 across the beautiful Florida Panhandle millions of times. I know those rolling hills you speak of. Many folks are very surprised by that terrain, but it's lovely.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Laramie ED 4x4 CCSB
    Liked
    25 times
    I found this site useful:
    https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

My Crew Cab Laramie with 3.55 gears is only rated 7,800 lbs towing.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo2 View Post
    I found this site useful:
    https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

My Crew Cab Laramie with 3.55 gears is only rated 7,800 lbs towing.
    Thanks Bravo. Before you posted but after my last post I went to the towing guide you've referenced. I couldn't find a configuration of a 3.21 Ecodiesel that was an '18, 2 WD. I'm wondering if the dealer's web site is just wrong. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1261 times
    3.21 = hemi
    never heard of a 3:21 rear on any Ecodiesel. FACT.
    Last Train and mitchmaclean like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2337 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
    I couldn't find a configuration of a 3.21 Ecodiesel that was an '18, 2 WD. I'm wondering if the dealer's web site is just wrong.
    Most likely the website is incorrect. 3.21 is the standard gearing for all the '13+ Gen4 Ram trucks unless an engine/transmission or package option changes it.

For some strange reason with any of the EcoDiesel trucks with Outdoorsman trim package, despite the trim level spec of 3.92 gearing the truck's gears were based on the wheelbase. The CC w/5.7' or QC w/6.4' bed will usually have 3.55. The Outdoorsmans built on a CC w/6.4' bed will have 3.92.
    Last Train likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I sense economics are driving you towards the decision.

Now go factor into you fuel math that diesel costs more per gallon to buy. Plus def fluid, plus oil changes are more but less frequent.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Henfield View Post
    I sense economics are driving you towards the decision.

Now go factor into you fuel math that diesel costs more per gallon to buy. Plus def fluid, plus oil changes are more but less frequent.
    Yes, and fuel efficiency in general plus when towing our rig. We tend to drive more than the average folks just due to our location and lifestyle. Longevity of a diesel factors in . . . I've also read that a number of you change your own oil, etc. I'm basically handy and have done that in the past and not averse to do it again if the service shop's costs are prohibitive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links