Looking at buying

Looking at buying

This is a discussion on Looking at buying within the RAM 1500 Diesel Purchasing forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hey guys I’m looking to buy a 1500 eco diesel. Any suggestions with them announcing the new ‘20 coming out ? Not sure if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking at buying

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Looking at buying

Hey guys I’m looking to buy a 1500 eco diesel. Any suggestions with them announcing the new ‘20 coming out ? Not sure if I should wait and prices will drop after that ? Anyway my perfect truck would be quad cab short box 2 tone Laramie with every option. Let me know if anybodies is for sale.thanks

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1063 times
    Since I already have a 3D, it's easy for me to say that I would wait. I wouldn't just wait for the 2020s to come out, I'd wait a few months for discounts if necessary.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Unless your buying used because of budget limitations I'd wait for the 2020. If you waited it out for discounts on a 2020 it will also give you the ability to look at forums and see problems that pop up with a new model. If ya want one now then look for one with good service records. Good luck with what ever you choose.
    shawclan5 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6784 times
    Welcome to the forum.

Read around some. There's much to learn about getting and keeping an Ecodiesel running well. There are dealers that currently offer Ecodiesels with a 2019 model year designation. Don't know where you live but if East, Kernersville Ram in NC. If West, Dave Smith in Oregon. Surely there are others but not many. Most of the main production ended with the 2018 model year. Then it seems around June of this year they offered some 2019's. Guessing they are just using up engine inventory as the 2020's are supposed to have a similar but different engine.

There are no 2020's offered for sale yet.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys. I really like the idea of these trucks. Thinking I may wait for them to
    Come out and pick up a truck from one of you all who I’m sure will be upgrading ! Seems like a bunch of mixed reviews , they sound good once tuned correct. ? Seems like most agree on getting extra warranty. This seems crazy to me to say it’s a good truck but not have enough faith in it to think you have to buy extra warranty. I’m new to eco diesels always had full sized Cummins and such. Starting to get cold feet. But I really like the idea of this truck. Gonna have to ponder this one a while.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevstar1212 View Post
    Thanks guys. I really like the idea of these trucks. Thinking I may wait for them to
    Come out and pick up a truck from one of you all who I’m sure will be upgrading ! Seems like a bunch of mixed reviews , they sound good once tuned correct. ? Seems like most agree on getting extra warranty. This seems crazy to me to say it’s a good truck but not have enough faith in it to think you have to buy extra warranty. I’m new to eco diesels always had full sized Cummins and such. Starting to get cold feet. But I really like the idea of this truck. Gonna have to ponder this one a while.
    All manufacturers have experienced significant issues with EGR, tranmission, engine issues. Hyundai replacing thousands of 2.0l gassers for example. MB E350d's oil pump at the bottom of the V was a pure disaster for them.

If you run it like a diesel and not putting around as a grocery wagon you should be fine. The powertrain is quite stout and mileage is out of this world for a 6000lb 4x4.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 196k miles / 4,730 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks, I saw something about when test driving to set the cruise between 15-25 and if it works then you know it has already been tuned. Is this a for sure thing ? I was gonna go look at a truck and it has some aftermarket rims and such so I was thinking he might have done other things.
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1063 times
    they sound good once tuned correct. ?
    With the GDE tune you get a small amount of additional turbo whine. And even though I've hollowed out the DPF and replaced the after cat with a straight pipe, there is just barely any additional noise over stock.

Thanks, I saw something about when test driving to set the cruise between 15-25 and if it works then you know it has already been tuned. Is this a for sure thing ?
    AFAIK that only applies to the GDE tune. There are others out there, but also AFAIK GDE is the only one who tunes for engine health and longevity.
    cds13ca likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Outdoorsman
    Liked
    23 times
    FYI, Dave Smith Motors is in Northern Idaho. Across the border from Spokane Washington.
    2016 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Outdoorsman, GDE, ARE canope.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1088 times
    i'd def wait for 2020. Lots of really good improvements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links