recommendations - new rear suspension for towing

This is a discussion on recommendations - new rear suspension for towing within the RAM 1500 Diesel Suspension - Chassis forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; My Mahindra 4530 tractor with front end loader (7300#) and bush hog on 20' tandem 14k trailer seems to be a little much for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: recommendations - new rear suspension for towing

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

My Mahindra 4530 tractor with front end loader (7300#) and bush hog on 20' tandem 14k trailer seems to be a little much for the factory suspension. I would like to be able to put the tractor all the way to the front of the trailer. What rear suspension set up would you recommend? Power wise, the truck handles the load fine. I'm not pulling long distances. 30 miles max from property to property, and only a couple times a year.
    Last edited by Bigt88; 06-10-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Tradesman 2WD CC GC
    Liked
    100 times
    A set of Timber Grove Airbags and a pair of Fox 2.0 shocks.

The Timber Groves are an easy bolt on installation while the Fox 2.0's are a little more complicated and require you to remove the wheel well liners.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1433 times
    Are you using weight distribution?

How the truck appears to handle the weight is irrelevant if your not using weight distribution your putting too much weight on the rear axle and taking too much off the front. Maybe try backing the tractor onto the trailer and seeing how that puts the weight. Ive moved a few tractors around and found that all the way forward on the trailer usually is better for fitting tractor + implements but usually way to much tongue weight.
    howie12 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    i do not have a weight distribution hitch. I have to keep the front bucket 2.5' from the front of the trailer to keep it drivable. was hoping air suspension would allow me to bring the tractor all the way to the front.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    545 times
    Air bags wont fix axle weights you need a weight distribution hitch nothing else well actually fix the issue.
    MAS likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1433 times
    Yeah air bags etc. are just going to make it look better but its still gonna be light in the front end of the truck (poor steering and stopping) and from my experience will probably want to sway going down the road at speed.

Try backing it on the trailer with the bush hog all the way to the front, may give you a better distribution.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Yes, I will try backing it on next time, I don't think I will be able to lift the bush hog high enough to back it on though. will give it a try.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1433 times
    I moved an old tractor we had years ago with our 16-foot flatbed and my chevy 1500. A buddy put it on the trailer and rolled the front tires up against the front rail of the trailer. Dry weight on the tractor was 6400 lbs plus it had a 6 foot cutter on the back. Tractor would not restart after he turned it off so we chained it down and road 100 miles with the rear of the pickup sitting on the bump stops till we could get it re-adjusted. Fun times a long time ago.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1547 times
    With that much weight, just put solid steel blocks between the axle and frame. Makes as much sense as pulling 14k.
    CanyonMan likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    With that much weight, just put solid steel blocks between the axle and frame. Makes as much sense as pulling 14k.
    Trailer has two 7k lb axles he’s not towing 14k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links