Bump steer/shutter?

Bump steer/shutter?

This is a discussion on Bump steer/shutter? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Suspension - Chassis forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Got my 2016 ram last week. 60k miles. Its a limited with air ride. My question is is it normal to have a bump shutter ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shaggn85

Thread: Bump steer/shutter?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Bump steer/shutter?

Got my 2016 ram last week. 60k miles. Its a limited with air ride. My question is is it normal to have a bump shutter in the wheel when going around a curve and hitting a pothole.
    I had a 01 Wrangler which had the same kind of feel. (If bad would lead to the "death wobble" But sense then, trailblazer, traverse, fusion ,mini Cooper. None have had that.
    It's not bad or unsettling, but if it isn't a "normal" thing I have 600miles on my manufacturer warranty. So I will use it.

Thanks

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I don't think it's normal. I notice a bit of bump steer/shudder from the rear axle , but typically all solid axle vehicles have a bit of that. Wranglers show a bit in front, because they have a solid front axle. If all of your front end components check out, you might want to check alignment. I find the OEM GY SRA tires are pretty decent in that respect, heavier tires may exacerbate the effect, imho. Doubt if warrantee will cover front end alignment at 60k or ball joints, tierod ends, etc. Those components can tak a beating on a truck.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1074 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattiemo View Post
    Got my 2016 ram last week. 60k miles. Its a limited with air ride. My question is is it normal to have a bump shutter in the wheel when going around a curve and hitting a pothole.
    I had a 01 Wrangler which had the same kind of feel. (If bad would lead to the "death wobble" But sense then, trailblazer, traverse, fusion ,mini Cooper. None have had that.
    It's not bad or unsettling, but if it isn't a "normal" thing I have 600miles on my manufacturer warranty. So I will use it.

Thanks
    your truck will never get death wobble. So rest peacefully there. you don't have a solid front axle.

my 2015 has developed what you have described. it just means its likely time for some shocks. they do wear out.
    HYDREX likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1553 times
    What tire pressure are you running?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    107 times
    I think itís normal in the very specific scenario you described. I have the air suspension as well and since my truck was brand new itís acted as you described with the combination of a turn at speed and driving over a pothole. The front wheel hitting the pothole loses traction for a split second and the truck pulls to the outside of the turn. Itís a little unsettling for that split second but the truck regains composure immediately. Only the one tire that hits the pothole is affected because of the independent front suspension. I had both of the front air suspension spring/strut assemblies replaced about 10K miles ago (theyíre not worn out) and last week on a highway curve I experienced the scenario again. It has to be a decent sized pot hole and, the faster Iím driving, the more pronounced the pull on the steering wheel. Small to medium pot holes donít do it at all and usually even decent sized pot holes at lowers speeds in town wonít do it either. It did it with both the stock SRA tires and the heavier Michelin LTX A/T2 tire Iím running now.
    Last edited by TexasRam; 06-22-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added additional info about tires

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRam View Post
    I think it’s normal in the very specific scenario you described. I have the air suspension as well and since my truck was brand new it’s acted as you described with the combination of a turn at speed and driving over a pothole. The front wheel hitting the pothole loses traction for a split second and the truck pulls to the outside of the turn. It’s a little unsettling for that split second but the truck regains composure immediately. Only the one tire that hits the pothole is affected because of the independent front suspension. I had both of the front air suspension spring/strut assemblies replaced about 10K miles ago (they’re not worn out) and last week on a highway curve I experienced the scenario again. It has to be a decent sized pot hole and, the faster I’m driving, the more pronounced the pull on the steering wheel. Small to medium pot holes don’t do it at all and usually even decent sized pot holes at lowers speeds in town won’t do it either. It did it with both the stock SRA tires and the heavier Michelin LTX A/T2 tire I’m running now.

This sounds exactly like what I experiencing. Good to know yours is "new replacement suspension".

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    [QUOTE=Mattiemo;978420]
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRam View Post
    I think it’s normal in the very specific scenario you described. I have the air suspension as well and since my truck was brand new it’s acted as you described with the combination of a turn at speed and driving over a pothole. The front wheel hitting the pothole loses traction for a split second and the truck pulls to the outside of the turn. It’s a little unsettling for that split second but the truck regains composure immediately. Only the one tire that hits the pothole is affected because of the independent front suspension. I had both of the front air suspension spring/strut assemblies replaced about 10K miles ago (they’re not worn out) and last week on a highway curve I experienced the scenario again. It has to be a decent sized pot hole and, the faster I’m driving, the more pronounced the pull on the steering wheel. Small to medium pot holes don’t do it at all and usually even decent sized pot holes at lowers speeds in town won’t do it either. It did it with both the stock SRA tires and the heavier Michelin LTX A/T2 tire I’m running now.

This sounds exactly like what I experiencing. Good to know yours is "new replacement suspension". Not sure on exact tire pressure but I will check that next time I drive.
    I will keep in mind replacing the shocks if it seems to get worse.
    Thanks for the responses

Member #
    Vehicle
    Black 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel CC 4x4 Air Suspension
    Liked
    107 times
    On trucks with the 4 corner air suspension like ours the rear shocks are the same as the trucks with coil springs, easily replaced. The front suspension is entirely different though, the air suspension and the front strut are integrated into one non-serviceable assembly. The only reason I have new front suspension is I took my truck to Firestone for an alignment before I bought a set of new tires, the technician mixed up my service order with another truck, grabbed the wrong keys and started to trying to replaced the front struts. He damaged both sides of the front air suspension and Firestone’s insurance ended up paying to have my RAM dealership replace the front suspension. Replacing the front air suspension assemblies ($1700 each) with labor is well over $4000 so it’s not something you want to replace unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’ve never had any trouble with the air suspension system other what was caused by that technician. It’s been very reliable, being able to lower the truck in parking garages is great, being able to raise the truck up enough to lay on a creeper and change the oil in useful, extra off-road clearance when you need it and it rides very comfortably.
    Last edited by TexasRam; 06-23-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Mods: Cabin filter, Bakflip F1 and BakBox, Kat's block heater cord, Tinted front windows, Ram stainless steel door sill plates, Amp Research PowerSteps PNP

Sponsored Links