Air suspension driver corner drops

This is a discussion on Air suspension driver corner drops within the RAM 1500 Diesel Suspension - Chassis forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hello, bought my 1500 about 4mo ago from another user on the forum. Moved cross country(2800mi trip), and now my air suspension lowers the driver ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Air suspension driver corner drops

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Hello,

bought my 1500 about 4mo ago from another user on the forum. Moved cross country(2800mi trip), and now my air suspension lowers the driver front corner overnight. As soon as I start it, it levels out but it has me worried I'm up for an expensive fix. Could low battery be the issue?(only thing I can find in a search)

Thanks for the input guys
    -Miles

-2015 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie
    -2007 Porsche 911

Member #
    Vehicle
    (onOrder) 2018 Sport/Quad/3.92/ED
    Liked
    129 times
    do you have enter exit mode turned on in the options? when you shut it off it drops the nose down if you do.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1690 times
    With it being just one corner, and lowers while parked overnight, I'm guessing a bag leak on that corner. Could be a leak leading to the bag.

Pull the wheel, make sure that corner is at right height, and go over the entire system with a spray bottle of soapy water to look for the leak.
    Crash68 likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2424 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Pull the wheel, make sure that corner is at right height, and go over the entire system with a spray bottle of soapy water to look for the leak.
    ^^^ this
    I would put the truck in Off-Road 2 to get air pressure in the system lines and bags as high as possible.
    howie12 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the input guys.

I'll give it a once over this weekend. If it is a leak hopefully it's nothing major to fix!

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    684 times
    Sounds like my truck to an extent...

If I leave truck in normal height and park it, the rear passenger side drops to the bump-stop. It inflates up no problem on startup when it's above zero. Mine doesn't drop in OR1 or OR2 though.

I'm thinking my problem is the solenoid box, as a leaky line or bag should deflate at all settings.

I'd suggest you do further testing of your truck. See if it drops at all heights or only the normal height, like mine.

2 years ago I had the solenoid and entire compressor replaced and it worked fine until middle of last winter, when the current behavior started. Crappy part is mine would fail to keep back at normal height while driving when below zero, only on one corner, which made for a miserable 60 mile commute.

I'm going to get my truck in for the recall, then when I get my settlement money, will have them repair the suspension again. This time I'll insist that they put in some air line antifreeze when they fill the system back up with nitrogen.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorny,

My driver front drops in all modes, but pumps up as soon as the truck is turned on(looks embarrassing in offroad 2). I did notice I get a "battery low" warning after about a day if I try to use the remote for entry/exit,so that at least tells me the pump doesnt run when the truck has been off for a bit. Hoping I dont need a new compressor or something major... hopefully just an easy-to-replace line or something if there is a leak.

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 1500 ED - Laramie '14 R1200GS - dirty, muddy, occasionally dropped...being used as intended!
    Liked
    178 times
    Is your driveway level? Mine is not, and my first thought was the auto-leveling, which tends to work on it's own minutes after shutdown, or at random times when parked on surfaces that are not level. More than once I've been in the driveway having a cigar, HOURS after the truck was shut down and have witnessed the thing engage the compressor, drop the front and raise the rear. If I park with the passenger side tires off the side of the driveway, the truck will eventually raise that side to compensate with the driver side being slightly higher on the concrete.

Next startup, same thing, front raises, rear lowers and off I go. Chalked it up to it being a "feature" since new.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo2361 View Post
    Hello,

bought my 1500 about 4mo ago from another user on the forum. Moved cross country(2800mi trip), and now my air suspension lowers the driver front corner overnight. As soon as I start it, it levels out but it has me worried I'm up for an expensive fix. Could low battery be the issue?(only thing I can find in a search)

Thanks for the input guys
    -Miles

-2007 Porsche 911
    a couple comments. Put a high quality battery charger designed for AGM batteries for a 24 hour period and let the battery get as charged up as it will. Your battery may be on its way out. You can also check the battery voltage after the truck has sat overnight. Perhaps one of our gurus with a book knows the voltage that triggers the low battery notice. My Pacifica and my Truck both have their original Mopar AGM battery and they show 12.6-12.7 volts when fully charged after sitting overhight with no load except whatever parasitic load there is.

Regarding the air suspension I doubt it is leaking to atmosphere. IF it is it will eventually use up the nitrogen in the closed system and then it will not raise. I think SOrny has a good point about it likely being in the solenoid box with a small leak there. It is possible that the low battery voltage prevents the truck from making the normal adjustments they always make periodically when sitting. Even after mine has been parked for days I often hear the compressor run for a short period to relevel things. Especially if I take weight out or add weight to the truck. I don't understand the details of the suspension system well enough to know what happens if there is an internal leak and all four air springs settle to the same pressure. It is completely possible that the geometry of the suspension and the diameters of the air springs results in a different height for one or two wheels when the pressure is equalized to all 4. We all may have some small internal leaks that the system self levels periodically when the battery has enough voltage/capacity to allow that.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    All right,
    Sprayed the airbag and all the lines near it, no visible or audible leaks, will put a battery tender on it (I assume my battery is getting close to being done, almost 5 years old).

My driveway has a slight grade up - front sits higher than the rear but is pretty level left to right. I'll back in next time I park and see if I have the same issue as well.
    -Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links