Welcome to the Ram 1500 Diesel Towing Forum

This is a discussion on Welcome to the Ram 1500 Diesel Towing Forum within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; This new Ram Ecodiesel should be a real towing monster. Let us know what you plan on hauling/towing with it!...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times

This new Ram Ecodiesel should be a real towing monster. Let us know what you plan on hauling/towing with it!

TKO
    Member #
    Just bought a Kodiak Model 291RESL

Unloaded Weight 6,517
    Cargo Capacity 2,383
    Hitch Weight 717

I am hoping that the 3.0L will have the stones to pull this in the hills without working itself to death.

I plan on getting the air suspension on the 1500 . . . any ideas how this will play out with a weight distributing hitch/sway bars?

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post

Unloaded Weight 6,517
    Cargo Capacity 2,383
    Hitch Weight 717

I am hoping that the 3.0L will have the stones to pull this in the hills without working itself to death.

I plan on getting the air suspension on the 1500 . . . any ideas how this will play out with a weight distributing hitch/sway bars?
    You're pushing close to 7000lbs (unloaded). Once you load it up you'll be over 7k. With that said I'd go with the Hemi.

By the way welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase! Looks really nice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC Long Box in Prairie Pearl. Former 1500 EcoDiesel owner.
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post

Unloaded Weight 6,517
    Cargo Capacity 2,383
    Hitch Weight 717

Owners of air suspension have reported that a WDH works fine. As far as a loaded trailer (about 8000 lbs?) you will be pushing the tow rating of the 1500, diesel or gas. You will want a 3.92 axle. A diesel will work according to the numbers but you will have to be careful with options that reduce the tow rating. The highest diesel tow rating available is 9200 lbs on an SLT standard cab 4x2 with 8' box. By comparison, an SLT crew cab 4x4 with 6'4" box is 8600 lbs, and a Limited is only 8300 lbs. The Hemi will give you more capacity but you will still want the 3.92 gearing which will drive your mpg down.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1051 times
    A 29 footer should be towed with a 3/4 ton. 1st, what I learned in the RV forums, NEVER go with the fictitious dry weights. That trailer has a GVW of almost 9000 pounds. 2nd, when loaded, you are looking at 900 to 1000 pounds of tongue weight. With the average 1/2 ton Ram 4x4 having a payload of 1400lbs, that leaves you about 400lbs for accessories, wife, kids, dog, you (if you're over 150lbs), and anything in the bed. And, if you get the air suspension, you could get an overload alarm.

When I purchase this truck, my next trailer will 26' or less, and with a GVW of less than 7500lbs.

Member #
    I cant wait to see what the actual numbers are. I tow a PUP now but am thinking of a light weight TT. 5200# dry with a tongue weight of 585. I Think this would do just fine with weight distrobution and a anti swayu controller installed.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1051 times
    Quote Originally Posted by opie232 View Post
    I cant wait to see what the actual numbers are. I tow a PUP now but am thinking of a light weight TT. 5200# dry with a tongue weight of 585. I Think this would do just fine with weight distrobution and a anti swayu controller installed.
    Never go with the fictitious DRY weights. Nobody camps with an empty trailer. Always go worst case scenario. Use the GVW and 12% to 15% tongue weight. Just remember, tongue weight counts for payload, and then there is your passengers and cargo in the truck. 1500s don't have a lot of payload, so it is easy to go over payload.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6389 times
    That's too much for a 1500.

I have towed literally hundreds of trailers for delivery with three 2500 trucks. My current Cummins would tow it with no issues. I would not even try with the `1500 diesel I have waiting for the order to be allowed. Your trailer will need a 2500 for the truck payload issue alone.

My current toy hauler is a 7,500 lb gvr. Booked dry at only 5K it's usually 6.5K with a couple bikes, water, "stuff" generator, propane and gear. That will be about max for the upcoming 1500 diesel.

One thing you should also do is weigh the tongue. My generator rides behind the propane bottles. Some waste water tanks sit ahead of the axles. Put it together and you will probably find ...
    you need the 2500.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2001dakota ,2005 liberty crd, 2014 Ram1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    28 times
    TKO, I think some of the concerns listed above are accurate. The tongue weight of that trailer alone may be close to the payload rating of your truck without family or stuff in truc depending on model, configuration, etc. I am planning to order 4x4, CC, 5.7 bed, rambox, Laramie trim. The website lists base weight as 5922 without rambox. Using the ram boby builder download I will be adding 350 lbs of options. With 6950 the gvw I have about 700lbs payload. The trailer I have been planning to get has a relatively light 375lb tongue weight with base weight of 4890. The truck will have sufficient tow rating (with 3.92) of 8400lbs, but with 2 adults, dog, actual on road tongue weight we will probably be over payload. I am considering no to the ramboxes to gain the 120-150lbs they add. Wish . The truck had a little higher payload.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6389 times
    Owned one of the 5.9 GMC 1500 diesels from 1994. Good engine for me and 160,000 miles. Just not enough suspension to tow much. BUILT THE REAR SPRINGS UP.

Just thinking it might be reasonable to add shocks with helper springs to the back of a new 1500 and increase the payload? Don't know if that LEGALLY increases the payload but in my case with the old 1500 diesel, it worked.

Traded that truck after 8 years for a Duramax 2500. Huge towing difference. Two years later I "saw the light" and have had my Cummins for over 10 years. I hope this new VM Motori 1500 will be reasonable as I no longer tow heavy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links