Show your rig towing... - Page 99

Show your rig towing...

This is a discussion on Show your rig towing... within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Tjkoen1, might be a tad high on the tongue weight there. Do you know how much it is? Do you tow that regularly? Consider a ...

Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast
Like Tree1394Likes

Thread: Show your rig towing...

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1688 times
    Tjkoen1, might be a tad high on the tongue weight there. Do you know how much it is?

Do you tow that regularly? Consider a weight distribution hitch.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3722 times
    Or back the Jeep on. WDH with built in sway control as Bounty mentioned would be better. Set up to replace your unloaded steer weight according to CAT scale will make an amazing difference in how that tows. Also tongue weight ideally set or weight distribution adjusted to be about 10 percent of gross trailer weight. CAT or truck stop scales are usually only about $12 initial & $2 per additional weigh.

Nose of truck up like yours in the pic is floaty and wondering at speed by comparison. Also roll prone if you have to do an emergency swerve around should someone pull out in front of you. Last it’s easy to slide through an intersection with much less weight on the main braking power tires than as designed. No chastising here I learned this stuff the hard way and over time with many setups on many Cat scales over many towing miles to learn what I shared.

You can see plenty of especially TT towing wrecks on you tube from set ups like that. Many think throw some air bags on the back to hide the squat and completely miss the value in weight distribution. Not that I’m against air bags I have them and used properly they are a great compliment to a WDH and or for a bedload. Back to towing pics!
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1564 times
    Looks like he has a little more room. I'd roll that jeep back a foot and it would make a big difference!
    Bounty Hunter and tjkoen01 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 outdoorsman, EcoD Quad, 5'7" bed, bakflip fibermax
    Liked
    53 times
    Just came back to Michigan from a Indiana camping trip. 450 mile round trip. This was our first trip with our new trailer of more than 20 miles with this trailer. We averaged 14MPG @ 65 MPH. It sure is a lot less stressful towing with the Eco-Diesel than it was towing with my 5.9 gas Ram. Heading to Washington DC for our next trip then to Florida for the winter.
    Truck:3.92, EAZ-LIFT WDH, 48,000 miles
    Trailer: Grand Design 2150RB. 7,000 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your rig towing...-imagine.jpg

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Tjkoen1, might be a tad high on the tongue weight there. Do you know how much it is?

Do you tow that regularly? Consider a weight distribution hitch.
    One time only, just bought the Jeep and borrowed the trailer (was following the advice of the owner since he hauls a Jeep with it all of the time). I think I had the hitch sitting a little to high and the leveling kit on the front of the truck probably doesnít help either.

Believe me when I say the pucker level was high at first; not because of the way it handled, but because the last time I towed a vehicle with the truck I let the smoke out of the intake. I drove 4 hours on the non-interstate, straight and flat roads of Illinois and most of Indiana; never once felt like the truck was squirrelly. Didnít come close to setting any land speed records either, but I did average 17.1 mpg.

Iíve towed with not enough weight on the tongue to know to not make that mistake again. I probably had more than I should have had on the tongue. Definitely the most Iíve towed, when/if the situation arises Iíll be a little better prepared to get it balanced better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bounty Hunter and VernDiesel like this.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1688 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
    I’ve towed with not enough weight on the tongue to know to not make that mistake again. I probably had more than I should have had on the tongue. Definitely the most I’ve towed, when/if the situation arises I’ll be a little better prepared to get it balanced better.
    Good to hear.

I'll be over your way often from IL, daughter attending UK now. Will usually have the Toy Hauler in tow and camp near Lexington.
    tjkoen01 likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    2015 ED with 3.92 and GDE, hauling the 22' Donzi ClassicShow your rig towing...-donzi.jpg
    Haul N Grass, Omarf4 and shawclan5 like this.

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    136 times
    Had a load on my 2015 yesterday, picked up 4 ton of coal for the winter;
    Show your rig towing...-load-coal-2019.jpg
    The tow home went good, I had never tried 4 tons on my driveway with the pickup before normally do 3 ton,
    made it 2/3s of the way up and spun out. Had to put the tractor in front and pull the truck the rest of the way up.
    Not a pleasant feeling when she started scrabbling for traction, dash lights flashing and alarm messages on and off the screen.
    Haul N Grass likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1564 times
    While I’m sure the truck appreciated most of the weight over the trailer axle probably a big reason you ran out of traction.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmex View Post
    2015 ED with 3.92 and GDE, hauling the 22' Donzi ClassicClick image for larger version.†

Name:	Donzi.jpg†
Views:	8†
Size:	883.4 KB†
ID:	82558
    Nice setup ans house.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 286k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 196k miles / 4,760 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Sponsored Links