A question about tire wear while towing.

This is a discussion on A question about tire wear while towing. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Howdy all- While on long distance RV trips, a 21 foot older, and heavier 1995 Coachman and packing about 7200 lbs of trailer and cargo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A question about tire wear while towing.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    441 times

Howdy all-

While on long distance RV trips, a 21 foot older, and heavier 1995 Coachman and packing about 7200 lbs of trailer and cargo I have twice the wear on the rear drivers. I use 1000 lb bars. The rig handles very well, the ride is excellent.

After 7500 miles I rotated my tires, fronts on back and so forth 3 days ago, there is significant wear on the rears . I had the same issue with my last truck, a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500. The rear tires really wore on that truck, using Cooper AT3,s.

I am currently running Cooper HT3 275/70R/17.

The question is this normal for any of you long distance haulers? Or do I have something not right?

My WDH is about shot and needs replacement. The sway arms are worn, requiring less "links" to keep to a proper ride and level.

Any thoughts?

TIA
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3619 times
    Especially every turn / curve accelerating or decelerating that 7k trailer & tongue weight is causing some tire scrub, so itís normal. Highest tread wear rating / warranty will last the longest but may not be suitable for your use in Alaska.

Best wear & max stability / load carrying capacity is at less than max sidewall psi rating. (Many people assume itís at max sideways psi rating) The Mfg and or a really good knowledgeable tire retailer can look it up or find out what psi max load capacity is at and thatís where you well get the best tire life. (But not necessarily the max mpg)

On an SL standard load or P passenger tire like our OEMs is often 5 psi below the 44 psi max inflation. On XL load rating this is often about 6 or 7 psi less than the 50 psi max inflation rating. You probably have E loads and Iím sure they are different. The tire Mfg customer help or their retailer should be able to find this but bargain brands & foreign Mfgs donít always make finding this easy. In the end you figure out what works best by closely watching wear anyway. Outside temps and road surface also matter so.
    HYDREX, sourdo and Kazimodo like this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1460 times
    A while back I read that all P rated tires are rated to carry their maximum load at 35 psi.... that doesn't mean they will wear the best, ride the best, last the best, stay the coolest, or carry the most at 35 psi, all it means is that manufacturer says it WILL carry its max rated load at that inflation.

I hooked up our TT with 35 in the rear and I thought the rim was on the ground after I dropped it on the ball... maybe a slight exaggeration. I believe in the chalk test.
    sourdo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    341 times
    I have a company Bighorn 4x4 QC Hemi truck with 65,000 miles original SRA's! Still servicable, always have run 38 psi. Tires have never been rotated! My Ecodiesel with 36,000 miles running 42-43 psi and with regular rotations, tires show about the same wear! I believe some of the wear has come from the 3:92 vs 3:21 gears in the hemi and the low end torque of the diesel vs hemi , but I would not be surprised that 38 or even 35 psi in the SRA's might be the sweet spot for long life. Then there was that time, I let a young Canadian friend try to do a "burnout" with my Ecodiesel. He drives a supercharged hemi, btw.
    sourdo likes this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1460 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I have a company Bighorn 4x4 QC Hemi truck with 65,000 miles original SRA's! Still servicable, always have run 38 psi. Tires have never been rotated! My Ecodiesel with 36,000 miles running 42-43 psi and with regular rotations, tires show about the same wear! I believe some of the wear has come from the 3:92 vs 3:21 gears in the hemi and the low end torque of the diesel vs hemi , but I would not be surprised that 38 or even 35 psi in the SRA's might be the sweet spot for long life. Then there was that time, I let a young Canadian friend try to do a "burnout" with my Ecodiesel. He drives a supercharged hemi, btw.
    For me running empty the sweet spot for the factory 17's is less than 35 in the rear closer to 30-32 and 35 or a little more in the fronts. You cant run that without having a tire light on though.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    I keep my tires ~40psi. On the factory tires, I towed a little over 30,000 miles and the tires lasted 80,000 miles.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    441 times
    Thanks, I should of added the Cooper HT3 275/70R/17 inch tires are E rated (ten ply). They max at 80 psi, but I run them at 60 psi. They can rise to almost 70 psi on a hot day. The wear is fairly even. They are wearing better than the softer AT3's.

l and as I expected, it's just a nature of the beast and sounds like it's just the way it is.

I agree the hotter roads increase wearing.

I do like the tires, they ride super nice, hold the road, and are nice strong 10 plied tires.

I appreciate the "wisdom of the crowd".

Now read the above post about todays fubar......
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    84 times
    Only thing I can advise is that I had limited run time on some Cooper AT3's on my old 1500. E rated and we ran heavy. I rotate every 20,000km and while they were wearing evenly, they appeared to be wearing quite fast. Truck was traded in on the 3500 so I never got the full run.

I got around the 90,000km on the factory Wrangler's (Cant remember the exact model as they came on the Outdoorsman). That is about the max I get out of tires in these parts.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    441 times
    For the mega miles we're doing, and all the road hazards (Alaska isn't the king of bad roads), those P rated tires with all the weight wasn't going to do. I still have them, after a year the GY SRA's are 1/2 worn.

I put new rubber all the way around, both truck and trailer for this epic journey. The trailer tires are wearing nice. I went to a D load 8 ply on those with 60 psi (rated 65 psi). Very stable. Those C rated trailer tires are ok for casual use, but not for what we're doing.

I always liked the phrase, "Cheap Charley pays twice!"
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6537 times
    That other picture of you changing the hub shows me you care.

The mung is all cleaned off the trailer. Grease the bearings up good and give it another go.
    sourdo likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links