I guess it's gotta happen eventually......

This is a discussion on I guess it's gotta happen eventually...... within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Today, after a nights rest at an RV park, we hit the road. I always inspect the wheels, and while on short stops to feel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: I guess it's gotta happen eventually......

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    423 times

Today, after a nights rest at an RV park, we hit the road. I always inspect the wheels, and while on short stops to feel for excess heat.

With a short drive this morning we stopped at a Walmart for supplies. And then got back on I-26 west.

As I was just pulling off the on ramp, a trucker (these guys know how to drive) tooted his horn, and pointed to my RV TT.

I look out my side mirror and see the smoke. Crap!

I immediately pulled off, and was lucky to have a grassy area to safely park out of the way.

I was lucky the wheel didn't fall off! Toasted crispy fried bearings.

But I am a mechanic, with tools, and spare parts. But the hub was so worn out no way to get a cap to stay on.

So we backed tracked, first NAPA, a dud. They pointed me to Hands on RV repair. But they didn't have what I needed, but pointed me to the right store, right off the shelf, they had the needed 10 inch hub with brake drum kit with greased bearings. Only $65 too.

So out in their parking lot, pulled the tire, slapped on the new hub, and after about 3 hours was fixed up and hit the road.

One of the things I miss is a compass in a truck. Drove all over with spotty cell connections and erroneous directions, finally got back on I-26, and found a site for the night. I think we drove a hundred miles to go 50 miles, sigh.

Hot, tired, man a cold beer never tasted so good.

We're going to spend a week in Independence, Missouri.

I'm going RV shopping!!!!!!!

I guess it's gotta happen eventually......-busted.jpg
    eljefe, TwoBobs, HYDREX and 8 others like this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    Today, after a nights rest at an RV park, we hit the road. I always inspect the wheels, and while on short stops to feel for excess heat.

With a short drive this morning we stopped at a Walmart for supplies. And then got back on I-26 west.

As I was just pulling off the on ramp, a trucker (these guys know how to drive) tooted his horn, and pointed to my RV TT.

I look out my side mirror and see the smoke. Crap!

I immediately pulled off, and was lucky to have a grassy area to safely park out of the way.

I was lucky the wheel didn't fall off! Toasted crispy fried bearings.

But I am a mechanic, with tools, and spare parts. But the hub was so worn out no way to get a cap to stay on.

So we backed tracked, first NAPA, a dud. They pointed me to Hands on RV repair. But they didn't have what I needed, but pointed me to the right store, right off the shelf, they had the needed 10 inch hub with brake drum kit with greased bearings. Only $65 too.

So out in their parking lot, pulled the tire, slapped on the new hub, and after about 3 hours was fixed up and hit the road.

One of the things I miss is a compass in a truck. Drove all over with spotty cell connections and erroneous directions, finally got back on I-26, and found a site for the night. I think we drove a hundred miles to go 50 miles, sigh.

Hot, tired, man a cold beer never tasted so good.

We're going to spend a week in Independence, Missouri.

I'm going RV shopping!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	busted.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	79682
    better check the other 3

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    204 times
    So thankful you weren't traveling down the highway at 65 when the bearing said Adios. Thankfully no more damage than a toasted bearing/hub - could've been so much worse.

I'm jealous of your cross-country trip - seems like a true adventure. Are you truly looking for a new TT or was that said in frustration...?

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    423 times
    Yea, no doubt when we get to my wife's mom's place in Missouri, the rest are getting repacked, unless I buy a new RV TT!

I forgot to mention the other troubling item. As soon as I had the wheel patched up enough to drive off the freeway, a frigging regen starts. Well no way that's happening, and at the parts house I shut it off.

The regen message went away. And I drove quite a bit after repairs and the regen didn't restart, it worried me a bit. My wife called GED, handed me the phone and told them what was going on and when was the regen going to restart.

They didn't seem too concerned, said to keep driving, and after a bit, the 2nd regen finally started and finished.

All well now, I've had a few "cold" ones, and I am feeling much better!

It was just a bitch of a day. Yesterday we had to put our old cat Momo down, heartbreaking for sure. I've had her 12 years, a stray that wandered into my yard in '07, and she wasn't a young cat then, we figured she was about 18 years old. That cat had some serious mileage RV,ing, always with me all the way. I've had a few cats, but nothing like this one. I'll miss her.

Onward we go.....
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    So thankful you weren't traveling down the highway at 65 when the bearing said Adios. Thankfully no more damage than a toasted bearing/hub - could've been so much worse.

I'm jealous of your cross-country trip - seems like a true adventure. Are you truly looking for a new TT or was that said in frustration...?

Bob
    Totally serious. In Alaska, they tack on $7,000, just to get 'em up there. And this 1995 Coachman has had a hell of a lot of miles. Mexico twice, many other trips, but this one is the grand bro-ha, were over 8k miles on this trip, so far.

Metal fatigues, eventually things start breaking. Even though the axles and springs were replaced in '14, it's the frame that, in my opinion, has long since wore off the new....

Besides, we have the cash, time to modernize.
    TwoBobs, HYDREX, smoky and 1 others like this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    314 times
    Surprised the Tradesman doesn't have a compass. Only time I've used mine, took a wrong off ramp in Boston one rainy night. Instead of going in circles, I knew if I headed due East, I'd hit the turnpike north. Tried looking for moss on the north side of trees, but couldn't find any trees. hehe
    sourdo, Patroller8D and 7milesup like this.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    Surprised the Tradesman doesn't have a compass. Only time I've used mine, took a wrong off ramp in Boston one rainy night. Instead of going in circles, I knew if I headed due East, I'd hit the turnpike north. Tried looking for moss on the north side of trees, but couldn't find any trees. hehe
    Living in Alaska, the sun is always lower on the horizon, if you have the time, you can tell the direction.

But in the Carolina's,the sun is over head and hard to tell where you're going unless it's early or late.

But I do miss the compass that my Silverado had. I'm going to find something to stick to the dash. I have a pilots license, owned a boat in Juneau. I do know how to navigate. But can't do it without a compass.

Sometimes Google is a royal pain in the rear. Tell you to turn right when it's left, etc.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 3:55
    Liked
    30 times
    Sounds like you are well prepared for situations like that. Glad you were back on the road in reasonable time. I am very jealous of your roadtrip and sorry to hear about your cat.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    cell phone has a compass

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sourdo View Post
    One of the things I miss is a compass in a truck. Drove all over with spotty cell connections and erroneous directions
    Both the 8.4 radio and the Multi-page EVIC dashboard in the Ram trucks have a compass. One of the useful times to have the 8.4 navigation radio to see what around while your driving around out of town. Google Maps is hands down better for navigation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links