New towing road trip report

This is a discussion on New towing road trip report within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I just got back from a 2,795 mile road trip towing our 29’ 8”, 6,500 GVWR travel trailer which I weighed at a CAT scale ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New towing road trip report

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn QC 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    88 times

I just got back from a 2,795 mile road trip towing our 29’ 8”, 6,500 GVWR travel trailer which I weighed at a CAT scale on the 3rd day of the trip. Steer axle: 3,420, Drive axle: 3,660 & Trailer axles: 5,420 for a total of 12,500. I’m using a Andersen WDH and after several weighings before the trip I feel I have the WDH finally dialed in. I averaged about 15 mpg overall but 190 of the those miles were not towing, still not bad for crossing the continental divide twice. I held the speed to 60-65 mph and the drive was nearly all on Interstate 90 starting in the Seattle area. I am tuned and experienced 3 DPF regenerations with 789 miles and 777 miles between regenerations. With spring weather a bit late to arrive east of Idaho oil, trans and coolant temps were not an issue. We had to wait out 4 days of snow/rain and fog before being able to view Mt. Rushmore, we weren't going to travel that far and go home without being able to see it.

We were able to check both Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and Mount Rushmore National Memorial off our bucket list.

New towing road trip report-custer.jpg New towing road trip report-snow.jpg New towing road trip report-mt-rushmore.jpg
    Last edited by Aslag; 05-15-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    VernDiesel, Crash68, 49Ram and 7 others like this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1557 times
    Thanks for the report. I never get over 11mpg pulling my 30' TH, weighing around 8k. Your axle weights looked good, real happy with my Andersen. Have already replaced the plastic bushing once, I think I was cranking the chains down too much and it worked upward.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    Awesome! Think that you got it dialed in! Certainly one of the places on my bucket list to see.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500, Lexus NX hybrid, Mopeds, boats, jet skis
    Liked
    28 times
    Amateur truck owner here. What are you guys dialing in? What's this andersen part? What plastic bushing cracks? While I only tow a 4000lb trailer these days, I can see that changing soon.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslag View Post
    We were able to check both Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and Mount Rushmore National Memorial off our bucket list.
    Did you see Crazy Horse while that close to Mt Rushmore? We went there as a kid and Crazy Horse was just a hand and part of the face and war bonnet. Didn't make Little Big Horn because mom was at the end of her rope. Her comment was "We are out of food and out of clean clothes, but if we really wanted to go on we could." All of us kids voted yes, but I guess Dad knew the real answer since he pointed the car back to Nebraska.
    VernDiesel and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Big Horn QC 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    Did you see Crazy Horse while that close to Mt Rushmore? We went there as a kid and Crazy Horse was just a hand and part of the face and war bonnet. Didn't make Little Big Horn because mom was at the end of her rope. Her comment was "We are out of food and out of clean clothes, but if we really wanted to go on we could." All of us kids voted yes, but I guess Dad knew the real answer since he pointed the car back to Nebraska.
    We ran out of time and had the choice of seeing the Crazy Horse Memorial or driving the Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, we chose the Wildlife loop. I wish we had more time to see all the sites but the weather just didn't cooperate.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    171 times
    I would have done Custer State Park too. One of my few memories about going there is that as soon as Dad stopped the car, my oldest brother jumped out and ran towards the buffalo pen. The bull in the pen saw him and charged. I don't think my mom pooped for three days after that.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6534 times
    Reads like the whole trip went well and you got some new experiences.

Custer battlefield was a bit of a learning experience first time I visited. Seems with those dips in the terrain and them up top, the Indians could advance without the soldiers seeing them. You can't shoot what you can't see. The Indians could lob arrows up and down into the soldiers while lobbing bullets into those depressions was not reasonable to do. Here's a case where it's both the Indian and the arrow.

Getting out to see the world is a whole lot better than watching it on TV. Glad you participated and enjoyed.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by idoseadoo View Post
    Amateur truck owner here. What are you guys dialing in? What's this andersen part? What plastic bushing cracks? While I only tow a 4000lb trailer these days, I can see that changing soon.
    The pic above is of an Andersen hitch. It's one of the few styles that provide sway control along with weight distribution. The Andersen is a lot quieter and can be left under load when backing up, unlike many WDH.

The ball in the Andersen hitch rotates in a plastic sleeve. This friction provides the sway control. The bushing can wear out and is easily replaced.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links