Some new tools for RV TT

Some new tools for RV TT

This is a discussion on Some new tools for RV TT within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; After my bearing debacle last month (we're still on the road), I decided some new tools were in order. While I can change bearings and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Some new tools for RV TT

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    441 times

Some new tools for RV TT

After my bearing debacle last month (we're still on the road), I decided some new tools were in order.

While I can change bearings and races with limited tools (drift, hammer, screwdriver and channel locks pliers), it is a really tedious to get those new races started along with the rear seal.

I found these on Amazon, a race and seal driver set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this bearing packer, an ingenious and inexpensive device,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both of these would simplify the installation of bearings and repacking the bearings.

Probably the most tedious part is getting the rear seal started, patience is required!
    BrianF likes this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    215 times
    That bearing packer is a rather ingenious little tool, isn't it? Great tips for those of us with travel trailers or utility trailers.

On a side note, how has life on the road been treating you? Are Americans still treating strangers nicely? Or is our country in as bad a shape as the media would like us to believe...?

Bob
    lucskoj likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6536 times
    Both tools are old staples for shops and home mechanics doing wheel work. There are many other examples. Most are available at any auto parts store everywhere. Since you are on a trip I would imagine ordering from Amazon would be difficult. You want one, just stop at any auto parts and get the like.

Keep on enjoying your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    That bearing packer is a rather ingenious little tool, isn't it? Great tips for those of us with travel trailers or utility trailers.

On a side note, how has life on the road been treating you? Are Americans still treating strangers nicely? Or is our country in as bad a shape as the media would like us to believe...?

Bob
    Palmer is just a few miles northeast of Anchorage. That is America. All of Alaska is. There are many tenants of our media. Most spreads a form of "fake news" as propaganda. Look for and use impartial media for a more realistic impression of America. It is and continues to be the greatest country ever established in our world.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Both tools are old staples for shops and home mechanics doing wheel work. There are many other examples. Most are available at any auto parts store everywhere. Since you are on a trip I would imagine ordering from Amazon would be difficult. You want one, just stop at any auto parts and get the like.
    Amazon ships to lockers placed inside of a business, and the shipping takes one or two days. There was one close to us, piece of cake.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post

Bob
    We're 4 days shy of 2 months on the road. It's been an interesting trip and at times long and tiring. The weather has been our biggest nemesis. The town of Osceola, Missouri, the last RV stop in a ten day stay in the Kansas City area, is now flooded. While we were there it rained, and rained, and rained. You didn't even want to drive in it. The rain would stop long enough for me to get a bright idea to walk the dogs. No rain, next second, buckets. And soaked, even with a raincoat. That RV was getting real small, dank, and smelly with wet dogs and clothes. It was so humid and warm nothing would dry. Do you know they have a mold index on the weather? I never heard of such a thing.

And it was weather this and that all the way across middle kingdom. Baseball sized hail, missed that. The 8 tornados south east of us in Eliss, Kansas. Then it was snowing in the rockies, it was a dicey day going over continental divide, low of 29 F and snow. The next day in Evanston, Wyoming, we wake up to more snow, not much but any is too much towing. However once we got down in elevation, it warmed up nice all the way to Olympia, Washington where we are now.

As for my truck, it is really running nice, just like it's broke in. Towing for over 12,000 miles don't seem to bother it at all. Mileage is around 14-15 mpg. Nothing much to report there.

The new Curt WDH is working real nice. I got the weight back off the rear drivers and the tires are wearing better. And quiet too. The whole thing is very stable in the wind. The old one was just worn out, gosh must had 60,000 miles on it.

As for the trip overall, it's been an eye opener. The state of Rv,ing is in trouble. Just finding a place for the night became a real issue many nights in a row. This made for way too late of days, and the fatigue was stacking up. Many RV parks were full of full time live ins and transient workers. The closer to a city you were, the worse it got. State, county and municipal RV sites are usually a good place to start. Such as Ellis, Kansas had a very nice self pay, $20 with a pull through, water/elec, place to park. The wifi was free and real good.

But the whole experience was so negative at times, my view of wandering around the US in an RV has been slanted. The driving at times was atrocious. In fairness, we bit off a big chunk to go visit family all over the place. Internet was also a pain in the ass. We paid a tidy sum to get wifi from AT&T, and most of the time it wasn't so great either.

So were in Olympia, Washington, it's rainy here too, but there is zero chance anyone will die from it, lol.

Driving the divide
    Some new tools for RV TT-divide1.jpg

My back door of youth, Mount Rainier, Washington

Some new tools for RV TT-rainier.jpg
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    Granite Crystal 15 Big Horn Eco 4x4 Crew with 6'4" box
    Liked
    170 times
    I guess the bright side is, that you got to see a lot of different country side. The downfall is that if you were mainly on the big interstates you would probably miss the nicer places for camping as the big areas are always the easy to get to ones for those in a hurry or trying just to get away from the cities.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1460 times
    Good post. Ive been doing bearings/races/seals etc. on our two boats, travel trailer, and two utility trailers since I was a pretty young kid. I always figured those race/seal driver sets were high dollar, the looked the part I guess so I never looked. Have made do the past 20+/- years with a punch lol I might have to go buy me one of those, think its going to be time to tear into some wheel bearings for me soon.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2375 times
    Once the old race is knocked out , Iíll take one of the old races and grind the outside diameter down just enough so it slips into the hub without sticking,I then use it to drive the new races back in face to face ... And I keep my old driver race for future uses ...Some new tools for RV TT-1c8bb60c-5b9a-4239-946d-731368be96c7.jpeg.

And hereís my handy dandy bearing packer, Some new tools for RV TT-d7ff7884-d151-4e96-8d6b-4677174479bc.jpeg 40 years old .... BTW itís been chipped for about 10 years ,still working
    sourdo likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1460 times
    That is exactly how I put em back in also Donny. I still pack bearings by hand the way my daddy showed me though, but one of those jobbers sure looks cleaner and quicker and easier lol

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2375 times
    Packing bearings is always greasy on your hands, no getting out of it , but now I wear rubber gloves to help out ... These bearing packers are tremendously easier then hand packing, but your still playing with grease .... BTW I always fill my hubs full of grease, some folks and a lot of manufacturers will just rub grease on the axle , not filling hub ..I never buy cheap grease, There’s a difference.... Maybe I’m wasteful,but I’ve never had a single wheel bearing go bad on me ....

BTW my father also gave me an education on how to pack bearings as well, that was about 50 years ago...
    MAS, BlueMerleBC and Kazimodo like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links