Can I tow it? - Page 2

Can I tow it?

This is a discussion on Can I tow it? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I'm sure that you'll be fine. I'd keep an eye on oil, coolant and transmission temps. There are aftermarket improvements for cooling and depending on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can I tow it?

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    340 times
    I'm sure that you'll be fine. I'd keep an eye on oil, coolant and transmission temps. There are aftermarket improvements for cooling and depending on your grille, you may want to swap for one that cools better.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    14 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    285 times
    I had a very similar trailer, a Rockwood 2604 WS. My main caution is the tongue weight was a lot higher than the brochure said. I think mine was almost 900pounds. Couple that with the low payload of the ED (my Laramie door sticker said 1200 pounds) and you need to be careful about loading the front storage on the trailer and piling stuff in the truck. I highly recommend Timbergrove air bags. Adjust your WD hitch per the manufacturers instructions first, then put just enough air in the bags to lift the back of the truck less than one inch. My theory is this is like adding stiffer springs in the back to help reduce porpoising and bottoming out. The truck had no trouble towing 6,300 pounds through the Adirondacks. One other recommendation; after you adjust your hitch, go to a CAT scale and get your weights checked. In my case moving only about 100 pounds more to the front axle made a big difference in the stability of the rig.
    sourdo and TwoBobs like this.
    Ordered 5/19/14; Delivered 7/10/14 (44 days) Laramie QC 4X4, bright white, buckets, 3.92,
    20" wheels trailer brake controller, convenience group, keyless entry, front and rear park-sense,
    remote start, CD player, chrome side moldings, anti-spin diff, Mopar soft toneau and dealer
    installed W/W side steps. Weathertech mud flaps and window visors; Timber Grove Enterprises air bags;
    Fuel cap from RSD.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    I'm sure that you'll be fine. I'd keep an eye on oil, coolant and transmission temps. There are aftermarket improvements for cooling and depending on your grille, you may want to swap for one that cools better.
    I've got a 2017 Laramie, so the the chrome grill with the holes in it. Looks like it should flow well, is there one that's supposed to flow the most. If I did need extra cooling what are most people using oil and trans coolers?? Swapping radiators??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I tow it?-2015-dodge-ram-1500-ram-dealer-e1423600110479.jpg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chawlzw View Post
    I've got a 2017 Laramie, so the the chrome grill with the holes in it. Looks like it should flow well, is there one that's supposed to flow the most. If I did need extra cooling what are most people using oil and trans coolers?? Swapping radiators??
    I swapped my Laramie grille for the Laramie Longhorn grille.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM Larime Ecodiesel (purchased 9/21/18)
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a flagstaff micro-lite 25BDRS(Rockwood 2509s) and in comes in at about 5100lbs dry (average 5500-5700 loaded) I've towed with it on 5 trips and my Eco diesel pulls it with ease. Just make sure get a good hitch and you'll be fine.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    2015 Ram Laraime EcoDiesel
    Purchased 9/2018 W/ 14500 miles

Member #
    Well I just looked at the sticker in the door jamb. Says payload 1092!?! I was going off the tow chart from Ram for the 1320#. Assuming I setup wdh correct, should the 300# difference cause worry. We were planning on going to get or order the trailer this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I tow it?-img_20190620_070908_1561032601948.jpg  

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1433 times
    Wouldn't stop me.
    BrianF likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    213 times
    I idon't have the numbers in front of me but in a thread here somewhere Vern mentioned that a comparable Hemi 1500 has payload ratings quite a bit higher than the EcoD - and of course it's the same frame, brakes, etc. The reductions for the EcoD are primarily due to the cooling system for the engine, especially the oil. An aftermarket oil cooler like Bounty Hunter has installed takes care of the oil temps which may also reduce coolant temp since there is a reduction in heat transfer from oil to coolant through the stock oil cooler.

All that to say that the capacity of our 1500 ED's is reduced not because the truck itself can't handle the loads but because FCA is quite conservative with the payload and tow ratings thanks to the ED's cooling system design. Don't go crazy with payload or tow weight but recognize that being mindful of your coolant and oil temps will enable you to push the boundaries a bit on your GVWR. Again, be careful and smart about how you load your rig and you'll be fine.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3609 times
    You might peruse some old threads for examples. Payload more accurately availabile gvwr (6950) is a secondary consideration to axle weights and tongue weigh with respects to safety & stability. You would not be able to feel the difference between being a couple hundred pounds over or under gvwr. Just get your weight distribution IE axle and tongue weights right. The CAT (triple) scales is your friend and can quickly & concretely help you adjust your WDH and loading towards accomplishing this.

You want to A replace your unloaded steer weight which should be around 32/3300. B adjust towards 12 percent TW (tongue weight) often broadly stated to be within 10 to 15 percent of gross trailer weight.

When using a WDH you find TW by subtracting the unloaded TV (tow vehicle) weight from the loaded TV weight seen in your weight slip printouts.

Say your wet trailer is 6,800 12 percent equals 800. So if truck weighed 6k unloaded it would be 6,800 loaded. Trailer axle weight would be seen as 6k since it transferred 800 pounds to the truck.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-20-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links