Too little, too late? - Page 3

Too little, too late?

This is a discussion on Too little, too late? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Arrived safe and sound. Truck handled the load quite well and trailer brake controller helped level things out when a gust came blowing through. My ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Too little, too late?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Arrived safe and sound. Truck handled the load quite well and trailer brake controller helped level things out when a gust came blowing through. My weights came back and appear fine, but I also feel like I make have done something wrong. I set the 3 axles on 3 scales, the lady at the counter said normally they have pickups put both axles on a single scale. Looks like overall I was about 170lbs over GCWR, and that appears to be in payload as my trailer weight is sub 7000lbs. Can anyone else help decipher these numbers and what they mean and what I can do differently? Pack lighter, check (which should be easy because we had all sorts of boxes and things we brought that just needed to be unpacked or left at home). But just trying to learn how to use these numbers to make better decisions and build a routine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Oh and hereís a snapshot of my temps. Peaked at 230 oil and 212 coolant if I remember right. Thatís 161 on the trans. All that seems to be in line with what is to be expected, no?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    521 times
    While your weight slips are a little alarming your temps were great. Might want to do some checks on the weights.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1490 times
    Awfully heavy on the drive axle, I think that should be closer to 3900#. Consider adjusting the hitch to put more weight onto the trailer and/or moving weight from the rear of the truck to the rear of the camper. Sometimes even small things like moving the spare tire from under the truck to the rear of the RV.

Which weight distribution hitch are you using?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 1500 ecodiesel outdoorsman
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Siha View Post
    Arrived safe and sound. Truck handled the load quite well and trailer brake controller helped level things out when a gust came blowing through. My weights came back and appear fine, but I also feel like I make have done something wrong. I set the 3 axles on 3 scales, the lady at the counter said normally they have pickups put both axles on a single scale. Looks like overall I was about 170lbs over GCWR, and that appears to be in payload as my trailer weight is sub 7000lbs. Can anyone else help decipher these numbers and what they mean and what I can do differently? Pack lighter, check (which should be easy because we had all sorts of boxes and things we brought that just needed to be unpacked or left at home). But just trying to learn how to use these numbers to make better decisions and build a routine

Tighten up the bars on the WDH to move some weight from the drive axle to the steer and trailer axles and you should be good.

Mark

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Awfully heavy on the drive axle, I think that should be closer to 3900#. Consider adjusting the hitch to put more weight onto the trailer and/or moving weight from the rear of the truck to the rear of the camper. Sometimes even small things like moving the spare tire from under the truck to the rear of the RV.

Which weight distribution hitch are you using?
    https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

Round bar, 10k

Back of the truck had maybe 100lbs of water and a cooler, Iím guessing the tongue weight maybe is high and spikes the drive axle weight? My trailer is heavier than itís showing on the slip when itís dry. I think itíll be better on the trip home as everything will be in its proper place and not just stored over the trailer axles in boxes

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Siha View Post
    https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

Round bar, 10k

Back of the truck had maybe 100lbs of water and a cooler, Iím guessing the tongue weight maybe is high and spikes the drive axle weight? My trailer is heavier than itís showing on the slip when itís dry. I think itíll be better on the trip home as everything will be in its proper place and not just stored over the trailer axles in boxes

did your air suspension system work properly and not set any alarms or refuse to raise or lower? If not that is also a good sign. Tightening the bars a bit as suggested above is probably a good idea.

Anyhow, glad the first part of your trip went well.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    did your air suspension system work properly and not set any alarms or refuse to raise or lower? If not that is also a good sign. Tightening the bars a bit as suggested above is probably a good idea.

Anyhow, glad the first part of your trip went well.
    Yup, air suspension worked fine, no messages. Even heard it readjust after we got the trailer hitched up and we started getting in the cab

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3557 times

Exclamation

TBC (trailer brake controller) Can be used to lessen the load on truck brakes but more importantly immediately stops any trailer sway by pulling the trailer away from the truck as it slows the trailer. The lady was wrong about your truck on the scales you did it right.

GCWR Isn’t as critical on our trucks as far as stopping or control because it’s derated if you will because of our more limited cooling systems. The max GVWR for the 4th gen 1500 is 15,950. I’ve been over long 6% grades with 15,800 and no issues going up if you limit sustained rpm to 3K or less and no issues coming down with GDE turbo brake & TBC. With turbo brake & TBC you can control speed without even using the truck brakes when on clean dry pavement. Both saves truck brakes and keeps them cool for stopping or best emergency stop. A few members here have had GVWs over 16k one over 18k with a 5er & a boat. Not recommending or saying how that worked in the mountains just sharing.

I agree with the other posters work on your WDH and loading, bed and or TT to move some of that 4540 weight to the TT and steer axles. 4,300 or less on the drive would make me feel better IE within 10% of rating. You have 7,940 on your combined truck axles now. Generally I would want to get that down to 7,800 or less with the rest being put on the TT axles up to the TT gvwr. Nothing is terrible now just within reason working toward optimizing it.

Temps you want to keep at or below 240 water 266 oil or the computer will start to pull fuel and derate. Again easiest managed by limiting sustained RPM to 3K or less. If we knew you’re loaded truck without trailer weight we could calculate your tongue weight and percentage. I always aim toward 12% for proper sway resistance, stability, and to minimize necessary load on truck. (When towing a TT) BTW aside from getting the best or required TW, weight put in the TT is best over the TT axles. Hope this helps.

PS pics with the truck & trailer and kids camping are always a big hit. . Oh and the TT slip axle weight does not include the weight of the tongue. That weight is seen in your tow vehicle axle weights. When using a WDH tongue weight is calculated by subtracting your non trailer towing combined truck axle weight from your trailer hitched combined truck axle weight.

As example If your trailer attached combined axle weight is 7940 and say you’re unattached combined truck axle weight is 6940 then your TW is 1000. If you add 1000 to 6980 TT axle weight you have a gross trailer weight of 7980. 1000ų7980 equals a 12.5% TW percentage.

BTW Our Max receiver weight rating is 1100+100 with WDH or 1200 total.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-08-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6376 times
    I liked those temperatures. Think you are fine. Same for the weight.

Enjoy the ride.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links