Too little, too late? - Page 4

Too little, too late?

This is a discussion on Too little, too late? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; My air suspension has worked flawlessly when towing, even when adding an extra ATV to the bed of the truck. 3 in the toy hauler ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Too little, too late?

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1481 times
    My air suspension has worked flawlessly when towing, even when adding an extra ATV to the bed of the truck. 3 in the toy hauler and 1 in the bed.

Consider an Andersen hitch if you want to upgrade. It will run a lot quieter, and is easier when attaching and removing.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Family enjoying the first full day at the site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6371 times
    That's a rug with lights?

Not sure what part of the world you are in. Just happy you can be outside without bugs and rain "bugging" you. Enjoy the ride. Thinking you have the right stuff.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    That's a rug with lights?

Not sure what part of the world you are in. Just happy you can be outside without bugs and rain "bugging" you. Enjoy the ride. Thinking you have the right stuff.

Yes. It’s a rug with LEDs all around the edges. Super nice to have for night time drinks. Up here in the PNW bugs aren’t terrible just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captainmal likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    There was a video on you tube I need to find.
    An experienced tow guy has s RAM 350 dualities and a Ram 5500.
    He used to try it and see the 3500 to tow a fifth wheel loaded with equipment that was probably just over 32000. A bit over his limit.

Key part of the video, it towed great (with CTD). But the 5500 brakes were much more capable of handling the load.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOFA View Post
    Thats too heavy. That is exceeding the truck's capabilities and rating which is dangerous and illegal.
    I suspect top speed won't be the biggest issue. Wind and stopping will have way more impact than you will like. That trailer appears to be the classic case of the tail wagging the dog and that is neither safe nor comfortable to tow. Make sure to leave plenty of space in front for stopping distance as I am sure you will be needing it. While some here have towed ~7500# I have set my limit at 6500# to have a safety reserve and still be able to crest more than a low hill with some speed. I hope it all works out for you.
    CanyonMan
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6371 times
    On the same topic but different???

How can seemingly all of us caution towing over say 8,500 lbs with a 1500 yet Ford, Chevy and now Ram have current or upcoming tow ratings over 11,000 lbs? Maybe the drive train is beefed up a bit but the truck overall is still around 6,000 lbs. That is what makes things a 1/2 ton.

Maybe we are all overly cautious. If the vehicle does not overheat and seems to pull well, that might be fine. Agree side winds and braking are major issues that could come up. Gotta think it all through as the 3/4 ton trucks and even the 1 ton models (3500's) don't weigh much more than 1-2,000 lbs more than our 1/2 tons. Then they rate them 15,000 to into the 20,000 lb towing range with the single rear-wheel models. They more than double the weight of the towing vehicle in their recommended towing max ratings.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    202 times
    I agree with you, Captain. When I look at today's 1/2 ton trucks at a distance there are times I'm not sure if they're actually 3/4 ton or even bigger since all the manufacturers keep a consistent "look" with the models in their brand. In other words, a 2500 Ram from a distance has a very similar look to my 1500. What I'm getting at is yesterday's 1/2 ton trucks were considerably smaller than today's and the capabilities have improved to match the growth of the trucks. Today's 1/2 ton looks like yesterday's 3/4 ton.

Earlier this week I pulled up behind an older Toyota Tacoma at a stoplight - the truck had Georgia plates on it so it hasn't been exposed to snow and salt from the Northern Ohio winters and it was in great shape. What struck me was how small it was! It was like a Tonka truck compared to a current Tacoma. Similarly I saw a late '90s Dodge/Ram 1500 that looked more like a Dodge Dakota than a 1/2 ton truck - and it was a 3.7 liter V6!

Today's 1/2 ton trucks are what we used to call 3/4 or 1 ton trucks - today's trucks have more horsepower, more torque, bigger brakes and better suspensions than an early-2000's 3/4 ton and I think we have to change our thinking about the towing and grunt work these trucks are capable of. I watched a video the other day comparing an older Ford 7.3 Powerstroke to the new 3.0 Powerstroke - the 3.0 had 20 more HP and something like 25 more lb/ft of torque than the 7.3 and well more than double the fuel mileage.

Towing larger trailers isn't the sole territory of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks anymore. There's no way the legal teams at Ram and the other manufacturers would allow them to claim 12,560 lbs towing capacity if they couldn't do it safely - the potential liability from the lawsuit happy public is too great.

Tow with confidence - but be careful, conservative and smart at the same time.

Bob
    Captainmal likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Liked
    254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phprof View Post
    Oli. That's pushing it. Especially climbing mountains.
    Hi: phprof... Do you get better performance "Pushing it" through the mountains rather than pulling it?
    Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6371 times
    Do not remember what the towing rating was for my old GM 6.5 diesel. I sure towed with it. Same with the Duramax I had. Towed over 12K with that one and it was the first year of production. The Cummins I ran also towed into the 13K range for me. Do remember what it was rated at ... 555 lb. ft. of torque. I pulled effortless up major mountain grades in the heat of the West. Blew by the big rigs on those uphills.

What I read from the 2020 Ecodiesel offering is very close to my Cummins in torque. Guessing if the cooling system and transmission can deal with it, those increased towing weights must be reasonable. Now, that does not mean I want to tow that heavy. I too have seen 3/4 and 1 ton pickups blown over in the wind. Got stories on that issue as one time I had to run near Chicago and pick up on that flipped and when it flipped sideways, took over a Ford 3/4 ton pickup that was towing it.

It's maybe not hard to pull straight. That sideways thing is where it gets interesting. Tow straight, tow safe and slow or stop in the high winds.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links